Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 11:39:22 AM EDT
Any reason not to use impact sockets as std sockets. I understand why not the other way.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:44:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:48:03 AM EDT
I was always taught that if needed, impact sockets could be used as standard sockets but standards will not hold up on an impact wrench.

Second the price difference.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:50:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2004 11:52:35 AM EDT by Kooter]
i've used both impact and standard sockets on an impact wrench. i've broken both using an impact wrench. never broke an impact while using it as a standard socket though.

standard sockets, when dropped on your forehead, don't hurt as much as impact sockets do.[B)]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:18:58 PM EDT
Impact sockets have much thicker walls to resist the pounding. Regular handwrench sockets are thinner so they will fit in tighter spaces.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 12:47:22 PM EDT
Never use a chrome-plated socket or extension bar with an impact wrench.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 1:01:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2004 1:02:23 PM EDT by warlord]
DzlBenz: Good point. I've heard that the thinner walled chromed ones will shatter and injure/blind you when used in impact applications.

BTW: the black thicked-walled impact sockets are cheaper than the chromed one one because they don't have to do all the expensive polishing and the heavy-duty chrome plating.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:10:54 AM EDT
Non inpact will shatter and you'll put your eye out!

Seriously, though, other than the differences in types available and the possibility of a thicker wall not fitting into tight places, there is no practical difference.  I do what you are thinking of doing:  I have a set of impact sockets, which serves as a socket set with a relatively inexpensive ratchet drive handle.  If, as I, you do not use the tools professionally, but just on a home repair level, I see no reason not to save an extra set like this.  I try to minimize the overall accumulation of stuff, and try to condense like this.   I would also add that, in the situation of a tight fit, or specialized size or type, buy just that one exact socket, which is the best course anyway.  I know my computer uses a specific two sizes of torx, so I have only those two instead of a set.

Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:59:56 AM EDT
i have used craftsman, and snap-on non impact sockets for impact duty for years, when i need em, they get drafted, and the other way too, all my sockets go both ways
Top Top