Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 2:31:38 AM EDT
I'm looking for a way to make little smoke bombs that you throw down and they ignite immediately, like they portray ninja doing in the movies.

The only way I know of to make a smoke bomb you don't have to ignite by holding a match/lighter to a fuse is to stick some salt peter and confectioner's sugar into a box packed with strike-anywhere match heads, and that just seems like a fire hazard to me.

I need a recipe for smoke bombs small enough to carry a couple in your pocket, but produce enough smoke to obscure vision for a few seconds when thrown on the ground.

In case you're wondering why I need such things, it's almost time for the annual campus-wide prank war. A friend and I are dressing as ninja and tossing smoke bombs into people's rooms as part of our theme for the semester.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:35:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn, it'll be tough to get that degree in prison when the building burns down and kills everyone inside

( bad idea, think of something a little less ..... pyrotechnic)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:37:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Like I said, I want something that ISN'T a fire hazard AND detonates on impact, creating smoke for a couple seconds.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:56:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Look into some magician stage supplies (google), what you seek is out there in, sort of, but it's not cheap.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:00:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:18:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay, you know pop-pops? Those little tissue-paper balls filled with what I suspect is salt peter? You throw them on the ground and they pop with a tiny spark? How would I go about making something that works like that and produces smoke? Are they actually filled with salt peter?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:21:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I have no idea. I just went to Google and grabbed those. Thuoght they might help.

Quoted:
Okay, you know pop-pops? Those little tissue-paper balls filled with what I suspect is salt peter? You throw them on the ground and they pop with a tiny spark? How would I go about making something that works like that and produces smoke? Are they actually filled with salt peter?

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:25:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I need a recipe for smoke bombs small enough to carry a couple in your pocket, but produce enough smoke to obscure vision for a few seconds when thrown on the ground.

Anything that produces enough smoke to obscure vision will activate the dorm smoke alarm, I suspect.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anything that produces enough smoke to obscure vision will activate the dorm smoke alarm, I suspect.

Yes. This is why we'll be doing it in the OTHER dorm, where the smoke detectors aren't up to code and aren't in the individual rooms.

Besides, the alarm doesn't alert the fire department unless a pull station is activated. If a smoke detector goes off it just sounds the klaxon and the RA for that floor goes to check it out. If there's a fire, the station gets pulled and the building is evacuated. If it's yet another asshole smoking in his dorm room, he gets chewed out and his cigarettes confiscated. Then everybody makes fun of him.

My freshman year we did have some jerk who kept pulling the station at night. Once he did it every hour on the hour from 1 am to 7 am.  When a station gets pulled, you evacuate the entire building until they confirm there's no fire (this is usually done before the fire department calls to see if they need to show up). So you have about 300 half-naked guys standing outside in the rain at temperatures just above freezing. Repeatedly. In one night. And they're not happy about it the FIRST time it happens.

Yeah. That was the last time the guy pulled the station. I don't know the details, but when his buddy ratted him out it was NOT pretty.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:54:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Okay, two things:

1) The plural of ninja is ninja,

2) It was an example! I just want impact-activated smoke bombs like you see them do on tv or in magic shows.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:18:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I believe I read the pyrotechnic composition is a VERY small amount of silver azide,
coated on gravel.  When dropped, the gravel compresses the silver azide, causing detonation.
And unlike most fireworks, this is a true detonation, but on a VERY small scale.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top