Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 8:55:14 AM EDT
I've got a question thats been bugging me.

Why is it that if a Mexican crosses our border, he's an "illegal.

If a cuban swims to our shore, and touches US soil, he's a political refugee?

I know part of the answer is to stick it to Castro, but why are we putting up with this double standard?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#1]
there is what's called the "feet dry" rule that applies to cubans only.  this came as an agreement between us and russia more than cuba for political reasons.

basically if a cuban is intercepted at sea, he is sent back, but if his feet touch US soil he can stay as a refugee.

stupid as hell rule, but i didnt write it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Because cuba is still a communist dictatorship, and those people are legitmately "refugees".

Nobody is a refugee from Mexico - they are just here to mooch.

Of course, the powerful Cuban lobby has some effect too, but they're ultimately two fundamentall different cases.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Well because Cubans who flee Cuba really are political refugees.

Sure they're here to make a better life for themselves. Not a problem.

But Cuba to this day is still an oppressive regime.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Because cuba is still a communist dictatorship, and those people are legitmately "refugees".

Of course, the powerful Cuban lobby has some effect too, but they're ultimately two fundamentall different cases.

Would the same thing happen if a boat load of Chinese washed up on shore?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would the same thing happen if a boat load of Chinese washed up on shore?

No. Like N_T said, there is a SPECIFIC cold war era agreement that allows this policy for cubans.  It also didn't apply to east germans, romanians, soviets, etc.  It is a thing specific to cuba.  

I was just trying to answer your question as to why Cuban immigrants are treated differently than Mexican immigrants.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:04:56 AM EDT
[#6]
here in Miami the Hatians HATE HATE HATE that policy and thus they hate the Cubans too.  Hatians are NOT considered refugees around here, and do not recieve the preferential treatment that the cubans get.

Cubans are not given refugee status just because Cuba is a communist dictatorship
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've got a question thats been bugging me.

Why is it that if a Mexican crosses our border, he's an "illegal.

If a cuban swims to our shore, and touches US soil, he's a political refugee?

I know part of the answer is to stick it to Castro, but why are we putting up with this double standard?

One of the joys of having a brain, is the ability to use one's judgement to find different solutions for different situations.
Cuba is not Mexico, and Mexico is not Cuba.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top