Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2006 3:16:41 PM EDT
Any chance they will get it passed at the state level ?

Blagojevich Calls For Assault Weapons Ban
Jan. 17, 2006

Governor Rod Blagojevich is renewing his call to end gun violence.

He and other state leaders spoke in Chicago today to call for a ban on assault weapons.

Its been more than a year since the federal ban on assault weapons was allowed to expire, and now Illinois law makers are working to renew the ban here.

The proposed bill would ban the manufacture, possession, and delivery of semi-automatic assault weapons, assault weapon attachments, and the .50 caliber assault rifle.

Governor Blagojevich plans to ask congress to renew the ban in order to protect the people of Illinois.

"This isn't just about protecting our communities and our neighborhoods this isn't just about common sense gun laws that exercise and use common sense, its also about protecting our police officers and law enforcement across our state."

Blagojevich said that while the federal ban was in effect, there was a 66 percent reduction in the number of assault weapons that were confiscated at crime scenes.

But last year, in the city of Chicago alone 400 assault weapons were found after the ban expired. He hopes the bill will once again make that number decrease.

Blagojevich will talk about the assault weapons ban and other topics Wednesday at his State of the State Address.

http://www.hoinews.com/home/headlines/2214457.html
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Leaving IL was the best move I ever made.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Any chance they will get it passed at the state level ?

Blagojevich Calls For Assault Weapons Ban
Jan. 17, 2006

media.chelsey.bimedia.net/images/confiscated_gin_assault_AP.jpg

Governor Rod Blagojevich is renewing his call to end gun violence.

He and other state leaders spoke in Chicago today to call for a ban on assault weapons.

Its been more than a year since the federal ban on assault weapons was allowed to expire, and now Illinois law makers are working to renew the ban here.

The proposed bill would ban the manufacture, possession, and delivery of semi-automatic assault weapons, assault weapon attachments, and the .50 caliber assault rifle.

Governor Blagojevich plans to ask congress to renew the ban in order to protect the people of Illinois.

"This isn't just about protecting our communities and our neighborhoods this isn't just about common sense gun laws that exercise and use common sense, its also about protecting our police officers and law enforcement across our state."

Blagojevich said that while the federal ban was in effect, there was a 66 percent reduction in the number of assault weapons that were confiscated at crime scenes.

But last year, in the city of Chicago alone 400 assault weapons were found after the ban expired. He hopes the bill will once again make that number decrease.
Blagojevich will talk about the assault weapons ban and other topics Wednesday at his State of the State Address.

http://www.hoinews.com/home/headlines/2214457.html

The DUmmies just keep getting dumber.  You would think they would get the hint in the above sentence.  Bans don't work.  

Do they really believe with the wave of a pen they can make guns disappear?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
He's an idiot and a one term gov.! He's dug a nice little hole for himself with his shady dealings. Can't wait to get him out of office! Oh, and Daley's next anyway, I'm pretty sure he's done for too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I think we need a "Quit making laws about shit when you don't know what the fuck you are talking about" law.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:35:11 PM EDT
[#5]
whats a assult attachment
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I guess they mean the standard things like hi-cap mags, pistol grips, muzzle attachments, bayonets, collapsable/folding stocks, etc.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

probably a flashlight or laser.  Don't you know how many people a flashlight can kill when mounted on a gun?  I mean seriously do you really want these kinds of attachments getting into the hands of criminals?  

I think we should have an assault flashlight ban, it will cover the following.

Any flashlight made by "Sure Fire", "Streamlight", or "Insight Technology".

Any flashlight that has a battery capacity of more than 2 cells.

Any flashlight that has or is capable of more than one of the following:

1. Using D cells.

2. Using 123a cells.

3. Interchangable lens.

4. Colored or lens.

5. Infra red lens filter.

6. Tailcap activation button.

7. Is black.

No flashlights of any kind shall be imported on or after 1/7/2006.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
He's an idiot and a one term gov.! He's dug a nice little hole for himself with his shady dealings. Can't wait to get him out of office! Oh, and Daley's next anyway, I'm pretty sure he's done for too.

+1.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#10]
If he succeeds, all you guys are certainly welcome to come to GA......we have nice gun laws here
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#11]

These are just blatant lies.  FBI figures do not support the first one and the second has got to be a joke.  No, it's just a lie.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there some sort of contest going on between Illinios and New York to see who can top California and become the National Shithole?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Yea, right.
I'd love to see Illinois throw the bums out but then I remember........they voted them there in the first place.
I'll never understand Illinois.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Joliet Jake- "I hate Illinois Gun Nazis !"
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#16]
It's okay, boys.  He has the endorsement of all the Unions.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Yea, right.
I'd love to see Illinois throw the bums out but then I remember........they voted them there in the first place.
I'll never understand Illinois.

There's alot of Illinoians that don't understand Illinois.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

These are just blatant lies.  FBI figures do not support the first one and the second has got to be a joke.  No, it's just a lie.

The best part about the lies are that in the City of Chicago, assault weapons were still banned after the Federal ban expired!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#19]
The real question is, Does anybody see this going anywhere? Or is this just Rod getting high and mighty before he gets the boot?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Us.  We are the attachment they want to ban.  Without us the gun can't assault anything, what else could be more dangerous than the gun owner?

img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/MolonLabe/upyours.jpg

why is your bayonet scotch taped to a toilet paper tube instead of duct taped to the barrel like it should be?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#21]
What bugs me about these laws in Illinois and NY is that most people in these states are normal people who understand what it right.  The problem is that they are held hostage by the massive amounts of idiots that happen to inhabit the large sh*thole cities in these states and the local problems caused by their bad politics there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Molon Labe, bitches.
<note to self -order more stripped lowers tomorrow>
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If he succeeds, all you guys are certainly welcome to come to GA......we have nice gun laws here

I think most of us here are thankful for such a warm welcome. And many of us are actually have considered moving at times.

The weird thing about IL is that RKBA isn't neccesarily a democrat vs republican issue.

Most rural democrats are very pro gun, while a lot of suburban republicans try to play both sides of the issue.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#24]
This is another reason to move to WI.  I'm from PA and they have good gun laws.  It's stupid cities like NYC, Chicago, San Fran, etc that ruin it for the rest of their states.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Leaving IL was the best move I ever made.

+1 (to the population of Texas)
-1 (to the population of Illinois)

No more FOID for me!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I think we need a "Quit making laws about shit when you don't know what the fuck you are talking about" law.

+1
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This is another reason to move to WI.  I'm from PA and they have good gun laws.  It's stupid cities like NYC, Chicago, San Fran, etc that ruin it for the rest of their states.

True, all to true
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#29]
A .50 cal Assault Rifle. I got to get me one of those. Does it come with a 30 round clip?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Here is Daley's side of it, these guys amaze me.

CHICAGO (AP) - Gov. Rod Blagojevich and Chicago Mayor Richard Daley renewed calls Tuesday for a statewide ban on assault weapons.

The two Chicago Democrats, who have been pressing for the ban since a federal measure banning assault weapons expired more than a year ago, appeared together at a rally in Chicago.

"Every sane person would agree that machine guns and grenades should be illegal," Daley said in his prepared remarks. "Their only purpose is to kill large numbers of people. The same is true of military-style assault weapons."

President Clinton signed a federal ban on assault weapons in 1994, but the ban expired in September 2004 when Congress decided not to renew it.

Since then, Daley and Blagojevich have pushed for a state law that would prohibit the manufacture, possession and delivery of semiautomatic weapons, assault weapon attachments and the .50-caliber assault rifle.

Assault weapons are currently illegal in Chicago. Illinois lawmakers narrowly rejected a proposed ban on assault weapons and .50-caliber rifles last May amid intense lobbying by both sides in the debate.

The National Rifle Association argued that the proposed statewide ban was too broad and would ban weapons used by hunters, target-shooters and collectors as well.

Daley said earlier this month that he would continue pushing for stricter gun laws, even though several of his proposals have failed to pass the Illinois General Assembly in recent years.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Is there some sort of contest going on between Illinios and New York to see who can top California and become the National Shithole?

No shit!

Illinois, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts and California are all states I would NEVER take a job in, even if they paid $1 Million per year.  So help me God.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
"Every sane person would agree that machine guns and grenades should be illegal," Daley said in his prepared remarks. "Their only purpose is to kill large numbers of people. The same is true of military-style assault weapons."

Note to self:  If you ever have the good fortune to run across this fucking moron Daley, punch him in the throat.

What a blithering idiot.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#33]
i dont know how people with any smarts can see the logic in banning any kind of weapon.  there are numerous articles/books written about the corralation between gun ownership and how its related to crime rates.  banning guns only removes guns from the hands of law abiding citizens.  criminals still get there guns.  why does chicago have such a high murder rate if handguns have been banned since 1982.

i only wish leaving IL was an option, hopefully in the near future it will be.  write anybody you can fellow residence

here is a link you can use to locate your officials
LINK

edit - fixed link
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:00:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Glad I left IL.  It is nice to go to Wal Mart packing while you by ammo for your AR.   I am so glad to be gone from IL.  I can buy ammo w/o a FOID card.  

I don't think they will ever get CCW and I feel it is matter of time before they ban the .50 and AR.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Us.  We are the attachment they want to ban.  Without us the gun can't assault anything, what else could be more dangerous than the gun owner?

why is your bayonet scotch taped to a toilet paper tube instead of duct taped to the barrel like it should be?

I believe that is the quick release variant.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Manufacturing means Springfield Armory, Rock River Arms, Armalite and others would be breaking the law. Most of these are in Geneseo and the Quad City region. If it ain't in Chicago Hot Rod doesn't give a shit!
Maybe Hot Rod will open the brand new maximum security prison in Thomson beings the finished building it in 2000 and it has been sitting empty ever since.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Thanks, After the civil war thread, I thought you guys were all still mad about the march to the sea.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use velcro for fast mounting!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Rod the Bod almost got it passed last year. Downstate Dems. stopped him. This year he's trying to get suburb RINO's to help him. Go figure. The ISRA will probably help him too, like they did last year with the "gun show loophole".
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Thank God I live in Alaska. My deepest sympathies to those who must endure life in the pussified states...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Yeah, its time to gear up for the political season. Every winter this crap comes up, and we have fight this stupid political battle. Over and over again, it just never ends. Those numbnuts in Chicago are too stupid to realize what Daley is and we all suffer for it. And this sad excuse for a governor has had it in for us his entire political life. When he was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives he wanted to ban small handgun. He called them pocket rockets and claimed they violated the "spirit" of the assault weapons ban. He felt that the gun manufacturers were making guns more concealable in reponse to the 10 round magazine capacity law. That they were trying to market to gang bangers with guns that could hidden and had as much power as the full sized guns. Blagoevich is a cynical pol who says what he needs to get by. And Daley is a little tyrant more interested in running the lives of people than anything approaching being a good mayor. They say Louisiana is the most corrupt state in the union, but Illinois can't be far behind!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Geeze, won't these fools ever learn?    Give it a rest.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Illinois HB2414 is the bill that would ban the sale and possession of certain semi automatic and .50 caliber rifles. The original bill also calls for felony provisions for mere possession of all over 10 round magazines. In the last legislative session, an amended watered down version of this bill failed passage by a couple votes due to the fact that it contained technical legal language, now removed, that could have effected some shotguns used by skeet and clay pigeon shooters. By watered down I mean that the sale of semi autos and .50 caliber rifles would be discontinued, but the firearms in question owned prior to the effective date would be "grandfathered in" for original owners and transfers to close family members.  

In my estimation, there's a fair chance the amended version of this bill may pass by this spring. I rather doubt that any gun law will be promulgated in Illinois that contains provisions that would subject gun owners who continued to merely possess "assault rifles" to a 5 year prison sentence for each accountable offense. At least not yet!

In Illinois, much like in any political sphere, if you are at Stage 1 and you want to get to Stage 5, ask for 10, then compromise down the middle. Bear in mind that Illinois is a pretty left leaning state, particularly Cook County and the surrounding collar counties. Most citizens of Illinois favor the FOI card licensing system and the restrictive semi auto ban. Most gun owners do too, unfortunately. While the Illinois State Rifle Association primarily appeals to our influential hunting and clay shooter crowd, they have never spoken out against our outrageous licensing scheme to the best of my knowledge.

Due to the Illinois FOI card fiasco and our state's constitutional RTK&BA provision "subject to police powers," owning a gun and ammunition is a privilege in Illinois, not a right.

If you live in Illinois, get 'em while you can, folks.      
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Illinois. A festering boil on the ass of Indiana.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Illinois. A festering boil on the ass of Indiana.

We downstaters take offence to this statement. It should be ammended to say the CHICAGO is the boil on the ass of Indiana!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#48]

"All of the research about concealed- carry laws has been eclipsed by a comprehensive study by University of Chicago law professor John Lott, with graduate student David Mustard. Examining crime data for 3,054 counties, Lott and Mustard found that while concealed-carry reform had little effect in rural counties, in urban counties reform was followed by a substantial reduction in homicide and other violent crimes such as robbery. At the same time, there was a statistically significant rise in nonconfrontational property crimes, such as larceny and car theft. Apparently many criminals concluded that the risks of encountering a victim who could fight back had become too high."

the rest of the article
www.policyreview.org/jul96/labs.html

i know we are not talking about concealed carry.  although you get from the article, the more you restrict guns from lay abiding citizens, the more crime rate goes up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#49]

Since then, Daley and Blagojevich have pushed for a state law that would prohibit the manufacture, possession and delivery of semiautomatic weapons, assault weapon attachments and the .50-caliber assault rifle.

A .50 caliber assault rifle?????????

First the caliber alone rules it out as an assault rifle.

Second, unless it is a Ma Deuce or something similar, it is not select fire/full auto.

These mother fuckers just make shit up as they go and most of the public doesn't know any better.

Not too long ago, the .50 caliber rifles were "sniper" rifles.  They tell so many lies, they can't keep them straight.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#50]
how the fuk they gonna enforce it ,  do they think bu passing this law everyone is gonna get rid of their "assault weapons"?  are they gonna use the IFOID card to ID owners of these evil weapons ?
Cus if they do , than its gonna prove all the people who were against the IFOID card as -registration -RIGHT ! - as the left said we were just paranoid right wing crazzys - IFOID was just to keep mental ill people from getting guns !!
SHT.  every fukin gun i own would qualify as a ASSAULT GUN - by Douchebag blagoyavich !
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top