Posted: 5/8/2012 11:56:46 AM EDT

Now with moar MUN!  

Download it here
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#1]
intersting.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#2]
For the life of me I cannot make it to the moon. I make decent orbits and such, but I cannot get into orbit around the moon.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

For the life of me I cannot make it to the moon. I make decent orbits and such, but I cannot get into orbit around the moon.

I copied this rocket and got there

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Can this become a KSP Q&A thread??

I started it a few weeks ago after bookmarking it per the big thread a while back.

First, is the graphic representation of your launch not to scale with the altimeter?? I will sometimes launch out to, I dunno, 200K-300K on the altimeter and the graphic of my trajectory and ship compared to Earth show my WAY up there. One would think I was more than sufficient to establish orbit but no such luck, I come back down.

Second, I can't remember. Been a while since I played it. Mainly because the above has me stumped as to how I am doing (looks great, like a success, on the graphic representation but 200K-300K doesn't sound all that far.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I started it a few weeks ago after bookmarking it per the big thread a while back.

First, is the graphic representation of your launch not to scale with the altimeter?? I will sometimes launch out to, I dunno, 200K-300K on the altimeter and the graphic of my trajectory and ship compared to Earth show my WAY up there. One would think I was more than sufficient to establish orbit but no such luck, I come back down.

Second, I can't remember. Been a while since I played it. Mainly because the above has me stumped as to how I am doing (looks great, like a success, on the graphic representation but 200K-300K doesn't sound all that far.

your way over thinking it ....stick on engines to your liking , add other fun stuff , pray and launch . i have made multi stage rockets and landed on the moon then took off from the moon and made it back with no math skills took many days and many rockets tested though and lot of kerbels died.

I did use some off the downloadable parts also , makes the game 10 times better.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Just because you reach a certain altitude != escape velocity. Get up to 70k, orient horizontal to Kearth, and make a burn until you establish a nice circular orbit.

I typically go up to 45k, drop the nose 45 deg, start a burn up to 70k then flatten out my orbit.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

When I was playing it, I would just strap on as many rockets as I could.....  Lot of Kerbals gave their life for my entertainment....
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#8]
never heard of it
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#9]
i have a couple kerbals that are en route to explore other galaxies. poor little guys
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:35:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just because you reach a certain altitude != escape velocity. Get up to 70k, orient horizontal to Kearth, and make a burn until you establish a nice circular orbit.

I typically go up to 45k, drop the nose 45 deg, start a burn up to 70k then flatten out my orbit.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh..................
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I always crash into the mun. So I take it it was a one way trip for our brave Kerbalnauts? Did they know this?
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

When I was playing it, I would just strap on as many rockets as I could.....  Lot of Kerbals gave their life for my entertainment....

I did find a couple tools(by accident) that made getting to the moon a lot easier.  

One of them is hitting the "M" key which brings up a Map in which you can see your trajectory and orbit.  If you zoom out(scroll wheel on your mouse) you can see the position of the moon and it's orbit so you can plot an intercept course.

The other one is great if you are impatient like me.  Hitting the , and the . will let you time warp.  The period speeds up time and the comma slows it back down.  How fast you can time warp, depends on if you are within the atmosphere or not.  Note:  You cannot steer when you are time warping.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

your way over thinking it ....stick on engines to your liking , add other fun stuff , pray and launch . i have made multi stage rockets and landed on the moon then took off from the moon and made it back with no math skills took many days and many rockets tested though and lot of kerbels died.

I did use some off the downloadable parts also , makes the game 10 times better.

How do you do this?  I tried to do it once and couldn't make it work.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#14]
buy it so you can get plugins...if you want to make it easy, there are autopilot plugins.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
intersting.

Addicting.

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 2:51:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pray and launch... Why did the words "ALLAHU AKBAR!" just jump into my head?

Link Posted: 5/8/2012 4:03:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of the downloadable parts make the game too "easy" though and take some of the challenge out of it. My main problem with the game is how wobbly/non-rigid rockets are. I wish they'd remove that aspect. It does not seem realistic at all.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 5:49:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of the downloadable parts make the game too "easy" though and take some of the challenge out of it. My main problem with the game is how wobbly/non-rigid rockets are. I wish they'd remove that aspect. It does not seem realistic at all.

Guess I need to try downloading them again.  Last time I couldn't get them to work.  Prolly operator error.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Use the structural beams to connect the rockets and stabilize them.

Link Posted: 5/9/2012 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Oooooh... somewhere to go.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 5:11:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I did not save my HUGE rocket I had planned on using, lost interest for a few months then tried again and gave up.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#22]

I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this evening is out, of landing Jebediah on the mun and returning him safely to the Kearth.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#23]
downloading now
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Fun game, many, MANY hours wasted.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#25]
never got to the mun.  my apollo rocket tends to explode a lot.

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this evening is out, of landing Jebediah on the mun and returning him safely to the Kearth.

I can get to the mun and orbit it easily, but I can't seem to set my rocket down soft enough. I keep breaking my engine off.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I made it there and back

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#30]

you really need to get  the extra parts packs as they have 100's of parts that don't come with the orginal game , they have legs and landing engines and take off engines ....just google KSP parts download and a bunch of sites should come up .
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a cool eliptical orbit that took me out past the moon. On the third time around the moon got close enough that its gravity through me out into space. Only a little gas left I dont think I am making it back.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up.
Where in the hell did you get those little landing feet?

you really need to get  the extra parts packs as they have 100's of parts that don't come with the orginal game , they have legs and landing engines and take off engines ....just google KSP parts download and a bunch of sites should come up .

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Use the structural beams to connect the rockets and stabilize them.

I do that but it can be irritating to get them right especially when you're using nacelles.

Link Posted: 5/11/2012 10:08:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Getting to the mun is easy. Getting to the sun is hard.

...okay, actually it was mostly an accident.

Link Posted: 5/12/2012 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#36]
. That is what I was going to try next. Did u make it back to kerbal?
Link Posted: 5/12/2012 9:51:55 PM EDT
[#37]
jeb is fearless
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#38]
version 15 is out. They added another moon called Minmus.

I haven't tried landing on it yet.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Landed! I suffered some damage but I should be able to take off.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#40]
too easy to edit the part specs
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Yep but no edits here

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep but no edits here

And who cares? Its a sandbox game that is as much about the development of parts and plug ins as an actual game. If you want to play it bone stock, do it! If you don't, thats fine too!

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep but no edits here

And who cares? Its a sandbox game that is as much about the development of parts and plug ins as an actual game. If you want to play it bone stock, do it! If you don't, thats fine too!

I never said I don't use developed parts. I just said I didn't edit the specs.

Link Posted: 5/28/2012 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#44]
My goal has been to break 10K m/s from the launch alone.  I am using stock parts and the SIDR kit.

Fastest I have made it to is 8.8K m/s.
Link Posted: 5/28/2012 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Made it to orbit, then boosted to the mun.  Orbited the Mun for a bit, then returned to Kerbil.  Everything was ok, until about 550m from touchdown.  My poor command module slid down a mountain.  There were. . . . no survivors.  

Bill,  Jeb, and Bob shall be mourned as national heroes.  The mountain that killed them will be bulldozed, and a nice landing pad will be put there.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:15:21 AM EDT
[#46]
This game is highly addictive

I keep crashing into the Mun. Landing is hard.
Link Posted: 5/30/2012 6:51:34 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep but no edits here

I never said I don't use developed parts. I just said I didn't edit the specs.

My comment was aimed at Billy.

Link Posted: 5/31/2012 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Started playing again and made a Falcon 9 Heavy replica and got to the moon but didn't turn off SAS in time then turned it off mid correction and the ship landed on its side. Taking off didn't work out so well for our Kerbalnauts.
It uses pretty much all stock parts. The only add on parts in this pic are the smaller decouplers and the nose cones for aesthetics. The nacells feed the center rocket until they are dry then break away just like the real Falcon 9 Heavy concept, leaving the center rocket fully fueled for the rest of the flight.

Edit:

Link Posted: 6/3/2012 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Jesus H Christ Houston, we are on the fucking moon. It gets a lot easier once you understand the more efficient ways of affecting your orbit and also what the circle with the green x  and the crosshair looking circle are. I still don't know what the violet markers on the navball are. It's a Pyrrhic victory though. I didn't bring enough fuel.

Link Posted: 6/3/2012 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top