Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2014 3:34:15 PM EDT
Let's say you find a cell phone on a lunch table, you dont know who it belongs to, and you take it.  Is this considered theft?

Take into consideration the next day, you find out who the owner is and you return it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
FBHO
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Title still belongs to the title holder.  The more expensive the item, the greater the duty to find the lawful owner or to give it to the authorities.

We popped two looters during the King Riots.  They were each carrying a box of Radio Shack stuff.  We (in uniform) approached them and asked them if  they had receipts for their items.  They responded,  "No, we found it."   So I asked, "What do you plan to do with these things?"  If they said, "Officer, we're turning them over to you" we would have taken the loot and released them.  Nope.  They said, "We found it so we're keeping it."  At that point we arrested them for looting/possession of stolen property.  It took four hours from the time of contact before we left the station.  It took that long to write the report, bag and record all the evidence.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Does the cell phone look like this?

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends.

A phone? I'd give it to the restaurant owner (you said you found it at a lunch table?) or whoever owns the building since the owner of the phone will likely return there to find it.

I once found a knife in the middle of the wilderness. I kept it. There was NO way the owner was ever going to find it.

So I guess it depends where you find it, possibility of the owner finding it, and whether or not there is a realistic way for you to return property to the rightful owner.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#5]
There is always a duty to try to locate the rightful owner.  Placing an ad in the local newspaper classifieds and on Craigslist, turning the item over to the police or manager of the property where it was found are examples of a diligent effort to locate the owner.  After a period of time where the item remains unclaimed (which varies by statutes) it becomes the property of the finder.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends.

A phone? I'd give it to the restaurant owner (you said you found it at a lunch table?) or whoever owns the building since the owner of the phone will likely return there to find it.

I once found a knife in the middle of the wilderness. I kept it. There was NO way the owner was ever going to find it.

So I guess it depends where you find it, possibility of the owner finding it, and whether or not there is a realistic way for you to return property to the rightful owner.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
If you know who it belongs to, yes.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:04:07 PM EDT
[#8]
It really depends if Spain wants it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I lost my wallet in the Costco parking lot a moth ago (riding the cart) indiuval contacted me thru Facebook, meet up with me. Everything was there.

Do the right thing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Found a 20 in the gym parking lot last week. Kept it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Depends.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Not theft.

I used to work events and had to find the owner and return several purses that I found after the show. I once chased a lady halfway across Texas to get her purse full of cash back to her when I found it in a parking lot.

BUT, in today's world I would not touch it and walk away. I would assume that there are probably some douchenozzle cops hunting over bait while hiding in a nearby van with a camera just waiting to jump out and fuck my life up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not theft.

I used to work events and had to find the owner and return several purses that I found after the show. I once chased a lady halfway across Texas to get her purse full of cash back to her when I found it in a parking lot.

BUT, in today's world I would not touch it and walk away. I would assume that there are probably some douchenozzle cops hunting over bait while hiding in a nearby van with a camera just waiting to jump out and fuck my life up.
View Quote

And charge you with what?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#14]

In my youth, I probably would have kept it and maybe tried a little to find the owner.

Nowadays, after having had things stolen and having lost things, I have a different outlook and do my best to locate the owner.  If I find something at a business I leave my name and phone number with the business for the owner to contact me if they come looking.  That way I take the possibility of employee theft out of the equation.

On a separate note, out TV stations frequently leave items laying around, from cell phones to wallets, in a sting to see who will do what with it.  If you don't try to find the owner, you are on TV...

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not theft.

Here you go

And this

or this
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Let's say you find a cell phone on a lunch table, you dont know who it belongs to, and you take it.  Is this considered theft?

Take into consideration the next day, you find out who the owner is and you return it.
View Quote

A phone is probably the worst example. Assuming it's not locked with a passcode, you can just call someone on the contact list and explain the situation and they should be able to get you in contact with the owner.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are talking about something rather expensive, like a phone, yes, do the right thing and find the owner.  I would hope someone would do the same for me.

I saw an ambulance lose a bundle of gear a few weeks ago at a busy intersection.  The lights were on, they took the corner hard and the bin flew open and the stuff fell out.  Right in the middle of the intersection, in my lane.

People were just going around it, and I know they saw it fall out.  When the light turned green, I stopped to pick it up.  An HFD helmet, brand new fire gloves and a fire hood, and a Surefire Tac light.  All bundled up in the helmet.

I'm no fireman, but I imagine that stuff was expensive.  The number 13 was on the front of the helmet, so I took that to be Station 13, which was right up the street from where I found it.  Nobody was home (I assume out on that call), so I just left it inside the open bay door in the back of the station.

My co-worker kept telling me to keep it, but I didn't feel right about that at all.

Now, on the job, when I find screw drivers, or hand tools above ceiling grids, if it has obviously been abandoned or forgotten, finders keepers and all that.

If you can find the owner, it should be returned.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not theft.

Rape, murder, arson and rape.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Several years ago I was working in retail loss prevention.  Had a guy tell the store he dropped an envelope with about $900 cash it in while he was in the store.  Checked video.. sure enough, he dropped what looked like a bank envelope.  Called cops, told story and showed the video of some women picking up the envelope and leaving with it.. they said, "well no crime was committed, but we can do a found property report and it they report finding the money we can get it back to you."
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#20]
If you find a phone you're supposed to take pics of your cock and send it to all the contacts.
It's the law.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I try to find the owner if it is possible, sometimes things are just hard to track down, finding loose bills blowing in a parking lot, or a knife in the woods. Last year it was a fishing rod in the lake, no way to find anyone.

I regularly find IDs wallets etc. usually I try to find the owner or pass it on to the store it is found in or the Police if I think they can be trusted not to pocket it
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you find a phone you're supposed to take pics of your cock and send it to all the contacts.

It's the law.
View Quote

And end up like Taxman? Nooooo thank you.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I paid for a newspaper out of a machine once.  I found several in there, even though I only paid for one.  I took 'em all.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I paid for a newspaper out of a machine once.  I found several in there, even though I only paid for one.  I took 'em all.

http://dailydishrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/newspaper-vending-machines.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I've found Flash Drives when visiting Public Libraries.  Kept them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Depends.

View Quote

Me too.  I found a nice little double blade Case pocket knife with antler handle in the Smokies.  No you can't have it back, statute of limitations has loooong since expired.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Theft.

At VMI there was a $20 bill taped to the inside of the phone booth.  It was faded almost white.  No idea how long it was there after someone founf it and secured it.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was still there today.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://dailydishrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/newspaper-vending-machines.jpg
View Quote

What's a "newspaper"?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:00:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Theft, in that case.

Here's how I see it:

If I can find the owner and return it (like a cell phone, wallet, etc.), then I do so.

If it's obvious that it was left there by accident (like a screwdriver left near something that needs a screwdriver for repair), then I leave it.

If there is at least a 50% chance it was discarded (like a knife in the woods, or a nice dog collar without tags, or a chair by the road), then it's a safe bet that no one is returning for it, and I have no qualms about it being taken.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Legally speaking, if you take something that somebody left, it is considered theft of lost or mislaid property, if you have the intent to deprive the owner of it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Depends on your state law.  In NY, larceny (theft) includes acquiring lost property.  Here you are supposed to turn over anything worth over $20 to the police to store and find the owner, if after a certain time period no owner is located, the finder may then claim the property legally.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Tons of legal experts in hurr
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not theft.

You said rape twice.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I found a almost new $300+ blackberry while on a local greenway walking trail.  turned it into the lost and found.  Too much hassle to call one of the numbers and arrange a pickup.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Make every REASONABLE attempt to return a found item to its owner.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You said rape twice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not theft.

You said rape twice.

He must really like rape...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top