User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 12:48:50 PM EDT
www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=404893

Two die of carbon monoxide poisoning
By BOB PURVIS
[email protected]
Posted: Feb. 28, 2006

A Milwaukee man and a 17-year-old girl died of carbon monoxide poisoning while having sex inside a running car in a closed garage last week, according to a Milwaukee County medical examiner's investigation report.

Family members of the 23-year-old man had gone looking for him Friday after he didn't return repeated calls to his cell phone. He had dropped his girlfriend off at work Thursday night and had borrowed her car, which a relative spotted parked in an alley behind his home in the 5400 block of W. Lincoln Creek Drive around noon Friday, the report states.

The relative entered the man's two-car detached garage, found him and the girl inside and called police.

There was no sign of external trauma, according to the report. An autopsy conducted Saturday determined that both had died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The man's mother said the dead 17-year-old was not her son's girlfriend, and she did not know her, according to the report.

The girl had been staying with a relative a few blocks away, the medical examiner's report states.

Nature has a way of thinning out the stupid ones
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#1]
thank god natural selection got them before they could finish polluting the gene pool
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I know I shouldn't but....

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone who is a medical doctor said on another message board that (with a properly functioning, newer-model) car, it is now damn near impossible to poison yourself by breathing the exhaust.

See here:
www.chestjournal.org/cgi/content/full/115/2/580

.....CASE REPORT.... ....A 56-year-old man, an orthopedic prosthesis salesman depressed at a decline in sales, was brought to the emergency room by ambulance after a friend smelled exhaust fumes in the patient's house. The unconscious patient was found lying on his right leg against his car. The motor was running, and a hose attached to the exhaust pipe was emptying into the cab of the car. The patient had been in the garage for 8 to 10 h. When emergency medical service personnel arrived, the patient was alert and talking, although mildly confused, and complained of being unable to move his legs. ....

If you need to snuff out some moles in the yard or something, you can still use the lawnmower because it doesn't have a catalytic converter on it--but cars have exhaust that practically smells like milk and honey.
~
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Award that man a "Darwin."

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Someone who is a medical doctor said on another message board that (with a properly functioning, newer-model) car, it is now damn near impossible to poison yourself by breathing the exhaust.

See here:
www.chestjournal.org/cgi/content/full/115/2/580

.....CASE REPORT.... ....A 56-year-old man, an orthopedic prosthesis salesman depressed at a decline in sales, was brought to the emergency room by ambulance after a friend smelled exhaust fumes in the patient's house. The unconscious patient was found lying on his right leg against his car. The motor was running, and a hose attached to the exhaust pipe was emptying into the cab of the car. The patient had been in the garage for 8 to 10 h. When emergency medical service personnel arrived, the patient was alert and talking, although mildly confused, and complained of being unable to move his legs. ....

~

+1

Symptoms of CO poisoning are obvious.  You'd think they would have noticed "something was wrong."

Edit: symptoms are:

Shortness of breath
unexplained nausea
unexplained headaches
Dizziness
Light-headedness

Come to think of it... could have been confused with symptoms of lousy sex

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#6]
sucks to be them.      
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
From that same link:

" ....Closed-environment exposure to MVEGE from automobiles not equipped with catalytic converters can result in death within 30 min. The introduction of catalytic converters beginning with 1975 new-car models dropped CO emission rates to 6.00 g/min. By 1989, the average new-car CO emission at idling was 0.22 g/min. The catalytic conversion process removes CO, hydrocarbons, and nitrogen oxide; the resultant emission is a more desirable mixture of nitrogen, CO2, and water. Contemporary three-way catalytic converters eliminate > 99% of CO emissions.... "
~
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#8]
If I'm going to go, that is definatly the last act I would like to go out on.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I hope she wasn't hot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Strange.  As others have said, CO poisoning is a lot more likely with a lawnmower or powerwasher or generator.

Happened to be in a small warehouse when some asshole started running a power washer.  Within 1 minute I had a splitting headache, and within another minute the team leader showed up, shut the engine off, and started bitching said asshole out.  I opened up the windows and left.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:59:10 PM EDT
[#11]
In a related story, it took three talented morticians and a surgeon to get the smile of his face and the casket closed.  

CO
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#12]
wow... that kinda blows DA GOAT BAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZ
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#13]
There is still a lot of CO coming from a car engine. It will immediately ruin our CO detectors we use at work [the sensor] If you want to die, just fire and "load" a generator running in your basement. XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Still can die of oxygen starvation.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
wow... that kinda blows DA GOAT BAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZ

Is that your response to everything?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#16]
that's dead sexy
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I hope she wasn't hot.

She wasn't, she was a cold stiff lay.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Lucky enough to snag a 17yo, but missing brain cells

That must be my problem, too many brain cells
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#19]
That's one hell of a way to get caught cheating.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
There is still a lot of CO coming from a car engine. It will immediately ruin our CO detectors we use at work [the sensor] If you want to die, just fire and "load" a generator running in your basement. XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

-No, there isn't--if the (newer) car is functioning properly.

Small engines are a different matter--they typically have no catalytic converters at all. A 5-hp walk-behind lawnmower probably pollutes more than a Cadillac Escalade does now.
~
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:16:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe they were trying for an "erotic asphyxiation" effect?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Maybe they were trying for an "auto erotic asphyxiation" effect?

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Most likely cause of death was a build-up of Co2.. If this was a newer car.. And we don't know that..

A newer car's output is usually something like this.. 1-10 ppm HC.. (hydrocarbon)  0-4 ppm CO, usually no NOX and most importantly 15-18% Co2 and 0% O2... It dosen't take much of a build-up of Co2 to knock you out..

And this is a new car in top running order.. If it was an older car or they had just started the car and the cat didn't have time to warm up all bets are off......

Really not that bad of a way to die IMO... Slowly going to sleep while nailing a 17 year old.....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Award that man a "Darwin."

I second that.  

Way to go out with a bang.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope she wasn't hot.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Even if the car has a catalytic converter, it doesn't mean everything is in proper working order.  Exhaust parts are easily damaged.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I bet they wanted to have sex while commiting suicide. Seriously think about it, it makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Well.. thats one hell of a way to go.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#29]
That would not have happened if they had been in an electric car..

They would have froze to death from the batteries dying from trying to keep the car warm.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#30]
ban cars!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
That's one hell of a way to get caught cheating.

Yeah but you gotta admit he paid what he owed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#32]
They were quite exhausted when they were done.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
23 year old guys who have sex with 17 year old girls in cars while in a garage generally aren't driving cars with the best exhaust systems.

Yup....I'm guessing it was a rice burner with the cats removed for more power yo.......
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:38:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Ummm..... Sounds like a pedophile to me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope she wasn't hot.

I once had a girl who was so frigid that when she spread her legs the furnace kicked on.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Were you ever 23?
Ever looked at a 17 year old girl?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
In a related story, it took three talented morticians and a surgeon to get the smile of his face and the casket closed.  

CO

An oldie but a goodie!

Woody
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
A Milwaukee man and a 17-year-old girl died of carbon monoxide poisoning while having sex inside a running car in a closed garage last week, according to a Milwaukee County medical examiner's investigation report.

Family members of the 23-year-old man had gone looking for him Friday after he didn't return repeated calls to his cell phone.

Legality?

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

when my sister was 17 she had a 23 year old boyfriend.

Plus in MI 16 is legal...soooooo
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were you ever 23? Yes
Ever looked at a 17 year old girl?   Yes, when I was between the ages of 1 and 18.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:08:21 PM EDT
[#43]
I did something SIMILAR once. Got sidetracked with sex and nearly caused problems.

Started boiling water for some mac and cheese, GF comes over, one thing leads to another.

When I come out there is this HORRIBLE smell and my cheap aluminum  pan was melted.

My roomate was in the living room and im like DUDE - didnt you smell that?

And hes like "You were the one cooking!"

He was such an idiot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top