Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 10:35:58 PM EDT
if a law is passed that bans certain guns or all guns are the guns that were already bought legally be grandfathered in? I know this is hard to answer but if it ever came to that what do you think?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
if they try to ban all guns.... i say new government in place within a few months
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have nightmares about this stuff.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#3]
It all depends on what the legislation says.

If the hypothetical bill calls for your AR15 of any make\model\year of manufacturedto be confiscated, somebody in the law enforcement community will be willing to execute that order.

Its just a matter of if that bill can be passed.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#4]
IBTL.

I can't see this going anywhere constructive--especially at this hour.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Ummm, then you havnt been around here at this hour.

Quoted:
IBTL.

I can't see this going anywhere constructive--especially at this hour.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#6]
This is true. The only reason I'm awake now is that I'm in Maui.

To get back on topic: bans in the past have typically began with registration and yes, have typically included grandfathering, initially.

This is not necessarily a reasonable prediction of a hypothetical future.

I prefer to think we have things moving in the right direction and will not be facing any new bans at the federal level.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]
It's comming
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Historically, when guns have been banned\confiscated was the next big event
the replacing of a government or was it the slaughter of dissidents?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#9]
... only ban's will have guns!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

[punctuation nazi] lose the apostrophe, though [/punctuation nazi]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Didn't the people in CA have to turn in all Evil looking guns ?

Or did they allow them to be grandfathered ?

For a long time I have felt it is only a matter of time with all guns.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:52:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[punctuation nazi] lose the apostrpohe, though [/punctuation nazi]

Glad I could be of service.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Those that registerd them were allowed to keep them. but once they die, they have to leave the state or be destroyed....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, i wonder what happened to the assault rifles in Cali before the ban... I hope they got grandfathered.

Anyway, if firearms are banned, there are still other options... and if have nightmares about losing firearms in America, you're worrying too much. Guns are such a big part of the American Cultural identity, and thanks to people here, the NRA, and every teenager in a grown man's body guns will not be banned on a national level.

Military style "evil looking" rifles however... will need a bit more protection
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Well the way it is going, most of the US will be under Mexico rule.  I'll just wait and see what Fox's stand on firearms is.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Well the way it is going, most of the US will be under Mexico rule.  I'll just wait and see what Fox's stand on firearms is.

We can take the Mexicans with a few hundred liquored-up, good ole boys packin' EBR's.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

if a law is passed that bans certain guns or all guns are the guns that were already bought legally be grandfathered in? I know this is hard to answer but if it ever came to that what do you think?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I guess if guns get banned...Ill have to go get that new nail gun out by B and D.....thing looks really accurate...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#19]
If they do get banned most people will bow down like the good servents they really are.  The ones who dont will once again die for the sheeps freedom.

COME AND GET THEM
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:35:54 AM EDT
[#20]
^ +1000    
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:21:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Well the best quote to sum it up is...

When all Guns are outlawed.. Only outlaws will have guns!

Living in the uk where Gun crime is rife, where im not allowed certain types of firearm because there dangerous, but The criminals can have whatever they want,

James,
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:09:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those that registerd them were allowed to keep them. but once they die, they have to leave the state or be destroyed....

Yep, I bitched out and registered mine so I'm allowed to keep them.  Pretty sad.  Even sadder, I'm going to have to do it again for my 50BMG receivers in the next six months.  I figure'd if I wanted to shoot them at public ranges without being harassed I better register them and if they ever come looking to get them, they'll be long "lost".  Relatives supposedly can get permits to keep'em after my death but I hear those are pretty damn few and far between.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Then I would hand in my Hi-point 9mm.

Others?  Ohh I sold those years ago.   Nobody wanted the hi-point.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:37:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Half assed compliance with registration is your only real answer unfortunately.   Have 5 ARs register 1 or 2 hide the other lowers so you can shoot at ranges or whatever. The others are keepers after they come take your registered lowers.   You will have to use caution at that point and make sure nobody else knows you've got them.

Remember the wife you trust now is the girl that will hand you over when the divorce papers start.

Remember what fineswine said, if she could have gotten the votes it would be "mr and mrs america turn them all over"  or something to that effect.  

If you register them you can expect to lose them.   If you dont register them you may be subject to prosecution.   Weigh it out and see what's important to you.    Nobody ever wins a shootout with the .gov   That's not even a realistic option for anybody that doesnt keep a spare tinfoil hat around.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:46:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Nobody is going to ever try to ban "guns".  They'll ban AR15s, then they'll ban sniper rifles, then they'll ban hicap handguns, then they'll ban revolvers, then they'll ban repeating rifles, then they'll ban single shots, then they'll finally go after the shotguns, then BB guns, then airsoft.

The opponents have figured out that you can't go straight to the end, you have to go very gradually.

Toss a lobster in a pot of boiling water, it'll try to get out.  Drop it in some cool water, and slowly heat it to death, it won't even notice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:54:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Confiscation won't happen.  To big. To dangerous.

Make everything illegal.  Make gun possession a 10 year prison crime. Give people an amnesty period to turn them in willingly.  All ranges will have to close obviously.

Anyone found with a gun gets arrested when they are found with it.  Most gun owners would cower and turn in all their registered stuff out of fear and bury their other stuff. And life would continue.  20 years down the road most all guns would be either buried and forgotten, or discovered by the cops on people or in homes searched for other reasons and life would continue in a gun free crime free utopia.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:05:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The only reason I'm awake now is that I'm in Maui.

Where guns are banned.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:46:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Remember, registration and grandfathering are only "temporary" steps, to pacify those that would object.  The goal is to eventually get them all.  

Later, when they have reduced gunowners to managable levels, where they think they can achieve confiscation, they will.

Then there are no restrictions on what a government may and can do to you and your family.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Don't worry, the ACLU will protect our constitutional rights.

-green
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The only reason I'm awake now is that I'm in Maui.

You, sir, are a BASTARD!

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#31]
This is scary S***! All the more reason to join the NRA and fight!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#32]
What I bought legally before any ban, will remain mine after the ban.  

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I am much more worried about smokless powder being dubbed a "dangerous material" and restrcted from civilian use.

You can have all the guns you want, but what are you gonna do without ammo?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Its already happening here in canada. If it get worst here I am leaving canada and comming to the usa.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
if they try to ban all guns.... i say new government in place within a few months

We already have a Constitution, we just have to implement it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

New York will be the next state to require this, after Elliot Spitzer gets elected governor next year. They have been proposing this yearly, but are currently a few votes short.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#37]
As long as I eat, they'll never get my guns!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
As long as I eat, they'll never get my guns!
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41750

That is funny and disturbing at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Speaking of Ca and Ny I wonder if any politicians will ever come to power in either place that can read much less realize that tighter gun control=more gun crime.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:52:47 AM EDT
[#40]
No total gun ban will ever be enacted in the USA.  The govt cannot pass legislation that supercedes the Bill of Rights.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
No total gun ban will ever be enacted in the USA.  The govt cannot pass legislation that supercedes the Bill of Rights.  

I do believe they've repealed amendments before though.  Yep they have.  Prohibition.  They can do it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I have nightmares about this stuff.

Nightmares?
LOL.

Just get ready and then stay ready.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#43]

they are getting rid of civilian gun ownership.

all you gotta do is go state to state, small bans, with grandfather clauses.

as the people die off, the problem solves itself as nobody can take their weapons afterwards.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#44]
What gun's?

I lost them in a hurracaine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:32:07 PM EDT
[#45]
If they ever get gun prohibition to happen, the goverment will create an enviroment for smugglers to start bringing in all kinds of illegal weapons from other countries...especially ex-soviet countries.

Communist countries would also be eager to fill criminal hands with weaponry. You know, the whole "destroy from within" theory that their American liberal allies really want, but will never admit to it.

Can you imagine the kind of firearms that will be readily available to criminals then? The goverment has no intentions to fix our borders now, do you really think they can stop cargo containers of full-auto rifles? Maybe RPG or 2 tossed in every shipment?

We'll be just like Austraila...only the criminal element and the LEO's will be armed then.  

Anyway, that's just my theory.

Scott

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:57:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
If they ever get gun prohibition to happen, the goverment will create an enviroment for smugglers to start bringing in all kinds of illegal weapons from other countries...especially ex-soviet countries.

Communist countries would also be eager to fill criminal hands with weaponry. You know, the whole "destroy from within" theory that their American liberal allies really want, but will never admit to it.

Can you imagine the kind of firearms that will be readily available to criminals then? The goverment has no intentions to fix our borders now, do you really think they can stop cargo containers of full-auto rifles? Maybe RPG or 2 tossed in every shipment?

We'll be just like Austraila...only the criminal element and the LEO's will be armed then.  

Anyway, that's just my theory.

Scott

So I'll get a full auto AK?

Maybe we should reconsider our positions on this.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#47]
The only way someone is going to take away my guns  is from my cold dead hands!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top