Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2011 2:48:03 PM EDT
So tomorrow is the opener for rifle season, and like normal, I am gathering my equipment that spends 99% of the time tucked in the safe. It's not that I don't like to shoot them for recreation, it's just that compared to the "fun" guns, they are more fine tuned, and the ammo is not exactly something you can get cheep at walmart. (my chosen deer round is .260 rem.)

Well I get my Ruger ultralite out, and do the normal safety check, rifles unloaded, check. Safety is working, check. Bore is unobstructed, Wait, WTF is in my bore? It looked like a piece of copper jacket had gotten itself stuck in one of the grooves. So I bust out the cleaning kit, and get the bronze brush on that sucker, and attempt to get this possible issue cleared. But I incurred no resistance, and upon the bronze brush leaving the muzzle, the issue was apparent.

Dust bunnies had invaded the bore of my rifle.

I was forced to nuke them from orbit, with a combination of bore cleaner and CLP. Now my bore is unobstructed and safe for my trip through the Forrest tomorrow. However how should I prevent this in the future. Cover the muzzles with condoms? Socks? Shoot them more often? I'm starting to think I need to stop putting off reloading, get the equipment, and shoot them every month to prevent this from happening again.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I think cleaning and shooting them more often will prevent that.  Of course you can send them to me and I'll take care of them for you.

Did you check your zero or are you going to hope for the best?

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
huh, never had that problem with my 12g

get a bigger gun
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think cleaning and shooting them more often will prevent that.  Of course you can send them to me and I'll take care of them for you.

Honestly I did not check it. But I baby the rifle, and in the 14 years I had it, I checked it every year, and it never moved. Last year I only had it out one day, and I know I did not bump the scope, and never saw anything big enough to fire at. I will be crying the blues if it actually did move off center though. I'm out of deer meat.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

From some of the hunters in WV I see at the range, hoping for the best would be about right

I don't bother going, I work 5 days a week, and the license ain't worth buying to play with for 2 Saturdays.

Although I probably run more rounds through a rifle and pistol a year than 99% of folks here will in their life.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go with old socks instead of condoms. Condoms are more for combat in a wet enviroment.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Never seal the bore while storing a weapon. You will end up causing rust to the barrel. It's far easier to clean out a little dust then to replace steel.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

From some of the hunters in WV I see at the range, hoping for the best would be about right

I don't bother going, I work 5 days a week, and the license ain't worth buying to play with for 2 Saturdays.

Although I probably run more rounds through a rifle and pistol a year than 99% of folks here will in their life.

I hear you there, I have seen some amazing 3 in groups at 100 yards

Then again you actually have to work at the fundamentals to be a decent shot. On the first day I will be in my stand, and the rail will make shots effortless, but stalking around our 360 acre farm after the family leaves during the second week takes more skill. Ive seen people who cant hit a paper target kneeling, let alone standing. As for the time hunting, family business, family farm, paid day off and landowner privileges. It's the only thing me and my dad ever got hyped to do together.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I love the .260 rem.

Just ordered a scope for ny deer rifle. She's a like new '68 marlin 336rc I found at my local shop for $250. I am going to south Texas this year, and need glass. Ordered from midway on saturday, need to get it here, mounted, and sighted in for next saturday. No time like the last minute.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#9]
You have dust issues iside your gun safe??  
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You have dust issues iside your gun safe??  

Not one of those fancy fireproof deals, more like a locked box. And I'm in it every few weeks getting something or another out.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I just did a rust check and realized it had been over a year since any of the guns in my safe except for one pistol had been out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top