Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/9/2006 3:52:22 PM EDT
Would the snobs love them and talk of precision Austrian firearms that are utterly reliable?

Would the men of limited means dismiss them as overpriced tupperware and all hype and marketing?

Would they be considered the equal of other firearms in that price range like SIG, HK and Kimber?

With the extra $400 would Gaston find a way to keep them from exploding?

Could "profeshunals" still afford them?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be a helluva deal.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]

If Glocks Sold For $80.00...

I still would not buy one.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I actually think this is a really good question.

My opinion is that they would seem too simple and unrefined for $800...like if SAR-1s were as expensive as Bushys.

Edit to say that for this analogy to work, SAR-1s would have to finished, undented, and their boxes should be free of "swept up shop debris" as you once succinctly put it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You sound very angry. The easy answer is not to buy one. Don't read the Glock forums and don't look at them at the gun store. Maybe you should take up a hobby.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I am a Glock fan, but I would never pay 800 for one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Their weight and simplicity would still be a major selling point, though at that price, they'd probably have 1/3 the market they have now.    There'd be alot more Sig owners out there, IMO.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#8]
You sure you meant Glocks ?

?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You sound very angry. The easy answer is not to buy one. Don't read the Glock forums and don't look at them at the gun store. Maybe you should take up a hobby.

You sound like someone who tries to guess how people feel and is always wrong.

Why wouldn't I buy a Glock? I own several?

Maybe you should just try and guess people weight.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I am no Glock Sucker.  Dont like them at any price.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You sure you meant Glocks ?
www.dewaarheid.nu/images/steyr_aug.jpg

?

Dude if I could get AUGs for $800 I'd have 25 on order right now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:02:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I have nothing against glock, I just like my USP better.

Next i'm getting a 1911
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#13]
If glocks sold for $800, I'd still probably buy at least 1.

I love Glocks. I love the way they feel, I love the way they shoot, and I love the way they look. I do not have one, but I do have a Walther P99, which is actually a step or two above.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I catch your point. Let them look down their noses. Fug em. I would like to see if half these hip pocket cowboys can run series half as well as my broke down glock.

They keep going, and going,and goingand goingand goingand goingand goingand goingand goingand goingand goingand goingand goingand goingand goingand goingand goingand goingand going
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Closer than the other guy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:07:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You, like I, know the truth behind all the USP "cons". They're all actually "pros"

DA trigger is heavy because it's a COMBAT pistol. SA trigger is very nice. You can carry cocked and locked and dont even friggen need the DA trigger.

just slap the bottom of your mag and the rattle will go away.

high bore axis? doesn't bother me at all. I guess if you're a girl it might though.

USPs rule. And they don't cost $800; they're $650 NIB around here. Aren't Glocks only marginally less?

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:08:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You, like I, know the truth behind all the USP "cons". They're all actually "pros"

DA trigger is heavy because it's a COMBAT pistol. SA trigger is very nice. You can carry cocked and locked and dont even friggen need the DA trigger.

just slap the bottom of your mag and the rattle will go away.

high bore axis? doesn't bother me at all. I guess if you're a girl it might though.

USPs rule. And they don't cost $800; they're $650 NIB around here. Aren't Glocks only marginally less?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I kinda like glocks...

Then again I'm real fond of the 1911 trigger.

Lately the little Kel-Tecs have been calling out to me as well.

And damned if I don’t think that the wife could use a shiny new Kahr 9mm.

I also miss my Ruger MII target (Never should have sold it)

The Tokarev TT is also on the list somewhere.
.... I drinkith not of the fanboy Kool-Aid
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I love Glocks. My rich buddy collects Sig's. One day at the range he brought out the collection.
My (used) G30 .45 Glock out shot any of his. Even he shot better with my Glock. Man was he angry.
So yes, knowing what I know from firsthand experience I'd buy another G30. This time with night sights!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Im a Glock convert. After shooting HK's, Sig's, Para's, and Springfields, It all boiled down to the Glock haveing the feel, function, look, and accuracy I wanted. I now own two and will have a Glock 34 before the end of the year ... Only other pistol i own is a USP Tac. and thats probably getting sold to fund a SCAR rifle when they are released.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll bet some have already paid $800 for a Glock, especially the super-cool ones that can pass through airport security.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

what he said
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I heard about those. High speed man.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I love Glocks. My rich buddy collects Sig's. One day at the range he brought out the collection.
My (used) G30 .45 Glock out shot any of his. Even he shot better with my Glock. Man was he angry.
So yes, knowing what I know from firsthand experience I'd buy another G30. This time with night sights!

+1 On the G30...Freakishly accurate..more so than other Glocks it seems
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:23:14 PM EDT
[#26]
My local dealer had a Glock 24 for $950!!!  He first got it about 4 months ago and it's down to $650.  

I have 2 glocks...  my 23 I have over $1K in and the other a 35 I have almost $800 in...  That's with extra goodies of course
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#27]
When glocks go for $800 then I'll sell both of mine.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#28]
If Glocks were $800 I'd still carry one. I like Glocks for their simplicity and reliability, not because of their price. I can afford all of the "snob" guns and own a few. I'd rather carry the Glock than any of them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:25:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#30]

I'm selling a Steyr M40 for $3250.        Someone was interested.  

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=444298

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#31]
If they was 800, I would spend an extra 150 for a Kimber 1911, or buy 2 SA 1911s.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You seriously have no clue who you are talking about, do you?

Woody
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#33]
ummm i like glocks i think
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#34]
It's an interesting question.  If Glocks cost $800, would Springfield's XDs suddenly be selling like crazy?  What if XDs had a Tennifer finish and polygonal rifled barrel.  Would their sales match Glock's at the same price point?

What if all pistols had the same price point?  What would people buy then? (I'm betting more 1911s).

As for me, I like my Glocks just fine, thank you...  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I like Glocks, but I like not paying $800 for a pistol. If it came down to it, I'd get something less expensive and just as reliable.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:39:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Funny you posted this, bro.  Some friends and I were discussing precisely this just last weekend.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#37]
If Glocks Sold For $800.00.....................................They'd still go Kaboom!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#38]
In Semi-Auto Level 3 at GPSTC, you are at a disadvantage with a tradional style pistol.  Glocks put on a real wuppin on HK's, Sigs, Beretta's, etc.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'd try one for $80, even though I don't like the grip angle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#40]
SteyrAug, correct me if I'm wrong, but your post had nothing to do with Glocks.  I think you were really making fun of H&Ks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#41]
1911>Glock
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#42]
i'd buy a beretta over a glock at any price difference.

as it stands right now the beretta 92 and glock 17 are within $50 of eachother, and i love my beretta
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If Glocks Sold For $800.00.....................................They'd still go Kaboom!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#44]
HK sucks. That is all. Move along.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd try one for $80, even though I don't like the grip angle.

I had a G21, and thought it was a good shooter, till I bought a government model Springfield Armory 1911A1, and the Glock could group as good.  

That is why I traded off my Glock, and now have a Kimber Ultra Eclipse on order.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:02:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Glocks in my area aren't far from it. My two local gun stores has them for $760 for full size, $790 for compact, and $820 for the sub compact models. I got my G22 at a gun show 6 months ago for $375 N.I.B.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Would the snobs love them and talk of precision Austrian firearms that are utterly reliable?

Glock lickers would be Glock lickers no matter what their price was.

And give Gaston time....Sooner or later he WILL charge 800 bucks retail for a gun he makes for less than 70 bucks...

Would the men of limited means dismiss them as overpriced tupperware and all hype and marketing?

If the Glock remained as it is and just got twice as expensive, yes. They are decent pistols, but nothing to write home about.

Would they be considered the equal of other firearms in that price range like SIG, HK and Kimber?

I wouldn't consider them in the same league with a Sig. HK's are largely overrated in my opinion (again, decent guns but nothing to write home about) and Kimbers are pretty good overall.

With the extra $400 would Gaston find a way to keep them from exploding?

Hopefully with the extra 400 dollars Gaston could put on better sights, improve the trigger, and put a bit more of a beavertail on them so they don't chop my hands to pieces.

Could "profeshunals" still afford them?

Glock's marketing strategy has been to offer huge incentives on turn in guns and offer very low prices on their guns to departments because they are looking to gain marketshare. It has worked out well, and when you retail a pistol for 500 bucks that you can make for under 70 bucks, you have one fantastic profit margin to play with.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#48]
$87 is my limit for a Glock.

I'd have to budget for the ER hidden costs
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

It sounds like your buddy is just a miserable shot.

I have yet to see a Glock pistol that was more accurate in the hands of a competent shooter than a Sig. And I have been through a LOT of training courses with all sorts of pistols.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
If glocks sold for $800, I'd still probably buy at least 1.

I love Glocks. I love the way they feel, I love the way they shoot, and I love the way they look. I do not have one, but I do have a Walther P99, which is actually a step or two above.

And that should be the criteria: How does the weapon perform for you?

If you can shoot a Glock well, go for it. If it feels more natural than another design, go for it. They are reliable pistols that will last a good long time.

But they aren't "perfection." And most shooters can actually perform better on drills and stress courses with other types of pistols in my experience. The nature of Glock's trigger and sights make them more difficult to shoot well than something like a Sig.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top