Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 11/12/2017 11:37:58 AM EDT
George Washington once wrote, “[L]et us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion.  …[R]eason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.” Many great thinkers have expressed the same idea, yet, when it’s related today, the assumption is that what’s being said is atheists can’t be good people.  This is both because theists generally don’t explain their position well and atheists generally don’t seek to understand it well; passions run high and the two sides talk past each other.  But now I’ll explain exactly what Dostoevsky and Washington meant — in a way making it apparent why it’s an insight that helped bring me, formerly a dismissive unbeliever, to faith...

Read more:

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2017/11/godless_atheism_and_the_texas_church_shooter.html
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Good religion is a shortcut to rationalism. It's not about displacing one with the other.

Start with a good religious youth, learn rationalism and religious speach becomes more metaphorical.

Instead of having some Neanderthal violent caveman youth.

"People behave better when they think they are being watched"
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Some atheist told me the same thing while acting the ass one time.  I punched him in the nose, so either he's wrong or I'm God.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some atheist told me the same thing while acting the ass one time.  I punched him in the nose, so either he's wrong or I'm God.
View Quote
Atheists don't get what we mean by "God"

It's a way of saying "reality" (but nobody cares about that, so 'God' much more effective)

If you do bad 'reality' will punish you.... Makes sense?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#5]
It does not require the restrictions of religion for one to not touch what is mine, or threaten me.

There have been countless instances where, under the edict of their religion, cultures have taken what belongs to others, and then killed them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good religion is a shortcut to rationalism. It's not about displacing one with the other.

Start with a good religious youth, learn rationalism and religious speach becomes more metaphorical.

View Quote
Except we reason post hoc.  And, rationalism allows us to explain away anything.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#7]
So, on one side we have people who only behave for fear of punishment after death.

On the other we have people who behave because it's the right and better thing to do for themselves, and everyone around them.

Who is more moral?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Except we reason post hoc.  And, rationalism allows us to explain away anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

False-rationalism does. Lying in other words.

Ad hominem fallacy
Reverse ad hominem fallacy
Baseless fallacy
False causation callacy
Partial effect fallacy
Overrepresentation fallacy

Etc... Those are not rational. They are just advanced forms of lying.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I do not believe that we are magical beings;when we are dead we are dead and don't believe that the force of good compels me to be a decent person nor will I blame evil for shitty things I have done.
 The reasons I don't go out raping and killing have absolutely nothing to do with eternal punishment.

Satan didn't cause that asshole to shoot up that church and God didn't sit back and allow it to happen either.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's a way of saying "reality" (but nobody cares about that, so 'God' much more effective)

View Quote
Why not say physics, economics, or anthropology instead of magic sky man? Are you incapable of handling numbers without an anthropomorphic narrative?

I get that it seems cheaper to meme people into thinking there's a magic panopticon than actually do the work of building a secure society. But looking at the math - converting to religion increases the probability of criminal recidivism.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#11]
threads like this are why I always return to GD. I never know what someone is gonna bring up. thanks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I do not believe that we are magical beings;when we are dead we are dead and don't believe that the force of good compels me to be a decent person nor will I blame evil for shitty things I have done.
 The reasons I don't go out raping and killing has absolutely nothing to do with eternal punishment.

Satan didn't cause that asshole to shoot up that church and God didn't sit back and allow it to happen either.
View Quote
Cuz your honest and honorable. Making society a better place in the long run.

But that doesn't work on everyone, most devolve into cavemen.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Do not attribute to God the depravities of man.

Man has done horrible things to his fellow man.  Sometimes, these things are so horrible, the leaders feel the need to invoke the name of God in a vain attempt to justify their actions.  Do not be fooled.  These are the acts of men.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Good read. Thanks for sharing OP. 
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why not say physics, economics, or anthropology instead of magic sky man? Are you incapable of handling numbers without an anthropomorphic narrative?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because people are often irrational and aren't persuaded by physics, economics etc...

I'm speaking a language everyone can understand. Rational and irrational alike.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, on one side we have people who only behave for fear of punishment after death.

On the other we have people who behave because it's the right and better thing to do for themselves, and everyone around them.

Who is more moral?
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, if you do bad, other humans might punish you.  That's the only reality that anyone can prove actually exists.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
....or for the one it does work on it only works until the right motivational buttons are pushed.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#19]
So OP, I assume that if it were proven tomorrow that God doesn’t exist, you’d run right out and start stealing, murdering, and raping, right?

That seems to be what you’re implying. The only reason people act moral is the fear of punishment.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Dostoyevsky had a crazy life. Did a paper on him in college. Can't imagine what that would be like attending your own execution facing a rifle squad only to be pulled at the last second and spared. Was an interesting man in interesting times in a crazy part of the world. 
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Who is more moral?
View Quote
It's not about being "more moral."

It's the safety/security being traded for rights argument, in a different guise.

They are actually purporting that people should be made to worship god, even if they don't believe god exists, because they believe it will better control other's behavior than allowing individuals to make choices based upon their own moral compass.  Religion is about control of the masses via fear and brainwashing.......if it is used this way.  And that's exactly what people who purport to use the religion = moral argument are attempting to do.  Justify brainwashing and fear creation in order to exact control.

At the end of the day, I guess it's easier/cheaper to make someone fear disobedience than it is to teach them the mechanics of making decisions in a logical and ethical way and trust them to go forth and not do bad things.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, I'm not religious, and you're right, you religious guys don't know how liberating it is, as I do all the raping and murdering I want to do.  That amount happens to be zero.  Now if I had a god commanding me to rape and murder people at a rate I'm not comfortable with (that rate being zero), I wouldn't like it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No, if you do bad, other humans might punish you.  That's the only reality that anyone can prove actually exists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not just other humans.

If you act destructively you could make yourself miserable.

Suppose a guy is abusive to his wife, even if he never gets punished by someone else he will be miserable and the chemicals in his brain will be off.

Or if your lazy crops won't grow etc...
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#24]
My salvation has nothing to do with fear of what happens after I die; I do not live in fear or anxiety.  Jesus’s death on the cross spares me from Gods judgement.  Death is 100% guaranteed and we all will face God after it happens.  I look forward anxiously to my death (no, I am not trying to accelerate it).

Happy Sabbath day to all.   
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Ahhh, no.

Self restraint exists.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I live by Bill and Ted

Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:28:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
....or for the one it does work on it only works until the right motivational buttons are pushed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couldn't resist :

Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Because people are often irrational and aren't persuaded by physics, economics etc...

View Quote
If you're trying to convince the rational, why shred your credibility first thing by claiming magic is real?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is more moral?
You laugh?

I'm not religious, yet I'll put my life's actions against any who are without hesitation.

My son had a very religious friend who was all the time preaching about hell and punishment if you're bad. At age about 8, he asked me basically the same thing. "Dad, wouldn't it be better to do what's right because it's right than cause you're afraid of punishment".

One of those moments I knew I was on the right track.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's the safety/security being traded for rights argument, in a different guise.

They are actually purporting that people should be made to worship god, even if they don't believe god exists, because they believe it will better control other's behavior than allowing individuals to make choices based upon their own moral compass.  Religion is about control of the masses via fear and brainwashing.......if it is used this way.  And that's exactly what people who purport to use the religion = moral argument are attempting to do.  Justify brainwashing and fear creation in order to exact control.

At the end of the day, I guess it's easier/cheaper to make someone fear disobedience than it is to teach them the mechanics of making decisions in a logical and ethical way and trust them to go forth and not do bad things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who is more moral?

I've gone around with sylvan on this and he makes a compelling argument that the majority of people need the threat of punishment in order to behave.

What a sad condition. Made even more sad because there is a sub set who are willing to be civil, kind, and considerate of their fellow human, showing that it can be done.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#33]
It's funny how the different gods have different morals....
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If you're trying to convince the rational, why shred your credibility first thing by claiming magic is real?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because if he's a rationalist he would understand the positive objectivite outcome of what I'm saying.

Tell a rationalist that God will punish him for theft and he won't mind.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Who is more moral?
View Quote
I like my neighbors and I want them to be happy, more than I want to steal their stuff. I don't require religion to be who I am.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Everyone acts in their own self interest.  

People who have a short term view on everything are perceived as immoral.  

People who have long term view on everything are perceived as moral.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Because if he's a rationalist he would understand the positive objectivite outcome of what I'm saying.

Tell a rationalist that God will punish him for theft and he won't mind.
View Quote
What about telling him to fight the infidels wherever he finds them, or to exterminate the Amalekite children?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I wish I had something brilliant to add to this thread. But, people who have nothing, will do almost anything, to get something. And that something may be a result of harming others. There needs to be a consequence, either in this world or the next. To give them a moment of pause before crossing that line. Do God's, Governments, or people decide what that line is? God hasn't exactly shown himself lately. Governments are corrupt. That leaves us, We the People.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Alrighty then. dicks out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
He’s right. Without religion, the only barrier to doing anything(or everything) you want is how long you want your life to last and what you want it to be like. Eternal punishment is a lot harder to face than a few years in prison.
View Quote
Yeah and the all knowing all loving omnipotent god already knows if you are going to make it to heaven or not (because he sees and knows all)

Makes it a sin(crime) that even if you live a good and moral life and treat everyone well but makes the mistake of not believing in god you are going to hell (he already knew this)

So 80 years on earth living a good life as an agnostic  or atheist who's only crime is not believing in god gets to suffer for

>999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999+ eternal years in hell (totally fair for punishment fitting the crime)

Yeah that's a sign of an "all loving" god that only wants us to believe based on faith rather than proof.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Who is more moral?
View Quote
Define behave and moral.

After all, the Stalinists thought they were doing what was right and better for them and everybody around them.

See, everybody playing the game you're playing assumes that the former morality of Western European civilization is the only true standard there is for unknown reasons, and that people will naturally gravitate towards that. Which is demonstrably false.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My salvation has nothing to do with fear of what happens after I die; I do not live in fear or anxiety.  Jesus’s death on the cross spares me from Gods judgement.  Death is 100% guaranteed and we all will face God after it happens.  I look forward anxiously to my death (no, I am not trying to accelerate it).

Happy Sabbath day to all.   
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Who is more moral?
View Quote
Who is more believable?
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Who is more moral?
View Quote
I think people like Dostoevsky would say "where does your moral code come from?".

I think that is the gist of the argument when people say like he does.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You laugh?

I'm not religious, yet I'll put my life's actions against any who are without hesitation.

My son had a very religious friend who was all the time preaching about hell and punishment if you're bad. At age about 8, he asked me basically the same thing. "Dad, wouldn't it be better to do what's right because it's right than cause you're afraid of punishment".

One of those moments I knew I was on the right track.
View Quote
A big +1 to that!
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's funny how the different gods have different morals....
View Quote
Like mortality is a social construct created to manipulate people.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Paid my respects at his grave

One of the greatest literary agents of Truth
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think people like Dostoevsky would say "where does your moral code come from?".

I think that is the gist of the argument when people say like he does.
View Quote
I treat people like I want to be treated. I got that from my mother, not from on high.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I treat people like I want to be treated. I got that from my mother, not from on high.
View Quote
So where did your mom get it?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top