Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/11/2006 9:41:37 PM EDT
I have been going to this sandpit where target wise anything goes.  Shooting holes in paper can be fun and challenging but sometimes I just like to see something explode or jump around.  I have found that when shooting clays, 5.56 rounds rarely shatter them and usually just make .22" holes.  My current favorite is buying a case of cheap ass soda and shooting cans from 100 yds, but I am already sick of picking up 24 sticky exploded cans.

I've heard of people shooting bowling pins, are they still made of wood or are they plastic now?

How do they hold up?  I will be shooting mostly .223 and some .45/9mm.

Anyone have any other ideas/what works for you?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
stores.ballistictec.com/Detail.bok?no=22

That would be cool for abot 25 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That would be cool for abot 25 5 bucks.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:58:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Bowling pins are good for a few dozen handgun rounds.  They are wood with a plastic shell.  I've never tried them with a .223 round.

eta;  Call your local bowling alley and ask about buying used bowling pins.  A local range here buys them every week for pin shoots.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone here used a coil spring welded to a car wheel/rim.
Atop the coil spring was a round, flat piece of steel painted orange.

Looked very reactive.

I love the idea of the cubes. It'd make you good with irons at cqb distances and beyond.

HS1
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are kind of expensive. I was sick of buying and picking up soda cans, so I like it. I have shot mine quite a bit, and it still looks almost new. It is a pretty neat product; heavier, and more substantial than I was expecting.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are kind of expensive. I was sick of buying and picking up soda cans, so I like it. I have shot mine quite a bit, and it still looks almost new. It is a pretty neat product; heavier, and more substantial than I was expecting.

I'd bet you could make some really good ones for a few bucks.  Get some silicone caulking tubes from Home Depot, mix it in with some loose fibers to reinforce it, and mold it.  Damn, I could be the next RonCo
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd bet you could make some really good ones for a few bucks.  Get some silicone caulking tubes from Home Depot, mix it in with some loose fibers to reinforce it, and mold it.  Damn, I could be the next RonCo

Whatever they are made of, it is nothing like silicone from a tube. These things are tough. I believe that they will withstand thousands of rounds like the manufacturer claims.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I run a 100' static line and then attach balloons with 3-4 feet of string, the wind blows them around a bit.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatever they are made of, it is nothing like silicone from a tube. These things are tough. I believe that they will withstand thousands of rounds like the manufacturer claims.

Some kind of urethane compound i bet.  Scratch the silicone, maybe ShoeGoo.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Can't believe that nobody has replied with tannerite yet.

So here it is
tannerite.com/
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
illegal immigrant, less than $6.15 an hour an no tax!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
illegal immigrant, less than $6.15 an hour an no tax!

+1 Pay them a little more and they might run around a little. Could get a bunch and make them do the shooting gallery style target where they walk back and forth and quack when they're hit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#15]
sandbags filled with flour on some paracord between two trees. Makes a nice big poof when shot.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:32:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Someone here used a coil spring welded to a car wheel/rim.
Atop the coil spring was a round, flat piece of steel painted orange.

That was me.

Here's another one I did, shows the setup better.

The gong part is armor, about $50 worth, the rim and spring were free. The logs and crap in front are to protect the springs/weld from being ripped up.

It works great, makes a huge "Ping" when hit, and the spring helps to absorb impact so it doesn't crater up.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:45:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

So here it is
tannerite.com/

ghey
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So here it is
tannerite.com/

ghey

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:34:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So here it is
tannerite.com/

ghey

Ghey is the wrong word.

Tannerite is neither cheap nor re-usable, so it's a bad suggestion given the topic title.....but explosions are not ghey.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:40:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Pop bottles filled with water are cheap reactive targets,not reusable though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Illegal Mexicans for $2 an hour. One of those jobs Americans dont want
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Get some steel rod (Smooth) and threaded. hockey pucks, rollerblade or skateboard bearings, And some pipe the bearings will fit in.

They spin like a bat out of hell when hit.  And when you to blow a puck apart it's easy to replace and cheap.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:54:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Most of the time I've used milk jugs but they blow apart after a few hits. I've been planning to try filling them with expanding foam to see if they hold up better. The foam should bond to the plastic and hopefully keep the jug from ripping as easy. Has anyone tried this?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:14:28 AM EDT
[#24]
About the cheapest reusable target I've tried is to hang a tennis ball by a string. Punch a hole through it, tie the string through, and hang from a stand or tree-limb.

Tennis balls swing like crazy, and absorb massive amounts of hits before shredding. At about .25 cents a pop (cheap wally world ones), you can't beat that.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:45:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
About the cheapest reusable target I've tried is to hang a tennis ball by a string. Punch a hole through it, tie the string through, and hang from a stand or tree-limb.

Tennis balls swing like crazy, and absorb massive amounts of hits before shredding. At about .25 cents a pop (cheap wally world ones), you can't beat that.

if you are in high school, and fill it with gas using a turkey baster, and shoot it with tracers while cutting class, your neighbors wont be happy.

ask me how i know
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:56:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So here it is
tannerite.com/

ghey

Ghey is the wrong word.

Tannerite is neither cheap nor re-usable, so it's a bad suggestion given the topic title.....but explosions are not ghey.

Tannerite can be inexpensive if you buy enough of it or buy it from someone who does. I can get it for $80/case quite easily.

A cheap trick with tannerite is to put it in smaller containers (plastic easter eggs, film canisters etc) and put it at 25 yards instead of the usual 100. It gives you more booms for the $ and is a great new easter egg hunt for the kids.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:10:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Any one  know what the clear cubes are made of? It sounds pretty neat. Having a bullet on display
Maybe I can make my own
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Illegal Mexicans for $2 an hour. One of those jobs Americans dont want

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Bowling pins stand up to a good amount of hits before they fall apart in my experience. I was shooting at 2 of them the otherday with my Mosin and they held up fine after 8-10 hits each. If you can hang them from something its cool too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I have decided on a ball on the end of a string.

Wich ball should I choose?  Wich will hold up the longest to a .223

Tennis ball, lacrosse ball, large softball, baseball ????

Any ideas.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:25:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Prolly a street hockey rubber ball.

A bowling ball will hold up the longest.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Having done some work at the AMF plant in Lowville, NY...I can tell you, bowling pins are wood with a plastic cover...it was cool watching them be made.

Interesting thing, the wood is glued up in a blank, so that all the facing surfaces are end grain to take the beating...then the blanks are put into lathes, and turned, the plastic shell goes on, they are painted, and the sealed with a clear coat....

The sealer is cool, it drops onto a very rapidly spinning thin metal disc....the centriptal force spins it off in a fine mist, the apparatus moves up and down to coat the rotating pin...

Got to bring one home too.....

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#33]
My favorite, cheap reactive target is just to hang a piece of railroad plate from a cheap sawhorse using cheap hooks. It makes a beautiful "clang!!" sound when hit, it swings, can take a lot of rounds of just about any caliber (except 50 BMG).

Since the plate swings, there is no bullet "splash back", even with 308 and 7mm mag at 50 yds. I have shot literally thousand of 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 at 50 yds with no bullet fragments coming back at me. All the fragments stay in the target area. I would never attempt that if the plate didn't swing...

The total amount of $$ invested: about $10. When the setup is invariably shot to hell, just build a new one. Cheap and easy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#34]
A guy my dad works with gets free bowling pins. We shoot them all the time. Excellent targets, they absorb easily 10+ 7.62x54R, and an innumerable amount of .223 or 7.62x39. My favorite is to load my shotgun with AA target load and set up pins at different distances and see how fast i can blow them all away.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have found that when shooting clays, 5.56 rounds rarely shatter them and usually just make .22" holes.

Really??? when I shoot them they just dissapear!
Try a different brand if you can find them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#36]
tag
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:11:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm in the process of making a bowling pin rack similar to a falling plate rack.  Fasten them to hinges (cheap hinges the way some guys I know shoot) and fasten the hings to the top of a 2x4 A-frame.  A solid hit should knock them down.  I'm still imagineering the re-setter.  (All the suggestions for other target types makes me figure I might be able to get a "pin-boy".)  I'm also thinking of a guard for the bottoms/hinges, don't want to have to rebuild it after every range session.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
My favorite, cheap reactive target is just to hang a piece of railroad plate from a cheap sawhorse using cheap hooks. It makes a beautiful "clang!!" sound when hit, it swings, can take a lot of rounds of just about any caliber (except 50 BMG).

Since the plate swings, there is no bullet "splash back", even with 308 and 7mm mag at 50 yds. I have shot literally thousand of 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 at 50 yds with no bullet fragments coming back at me. All the fragments stay in the target area. I would never attempt that if the plate didn't swing...

The total amount of $$ invested: about $10. When the setup is invariably shot to hell, just build a new one. Cheap and easy.

Sounds familiar.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds familiar.

www.localnumber69.com/temp/Woods/13_Range_tieplate.jpg

Your "sawhorse" is a bit sturdier than mine!!
They are great targets arent they? Everybody is always surprised when they see that 5.56x45 makes far bigger craters on the steel than 308, 30-06, or 8mm Mauser. 7.62x39 hardly dents it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#40]
I use an old rusted lid from a 55 gal drum hung between two posts.
I raise chickens as a hobby, so I often have surplus eggs to shoot. Rotten eggs attract scavengers which are fun to shoot as well.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I raise chickens as a hobby, so I often have surplus eggs to shoot. Rotten eggs attract scavengers which are fun to shoot as well.

Beat me to it.

Eggs are free when they are outdated from the store.  Small country stores have out of date milk containers and food products.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#42]
tag
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beat me to it.

Eggs are free when they are outdated from the store.  Small country stores have out of date milk containers and food products.

+1

one guy was pretty ticked when i took over the produce depatrment at the store i worked for in HS

All the  rotten watermelons belong to me now

in the summer it was great  truckload of  rotten melons and  boxes of 44mag fresh from my old Hornady  Ahhh good times
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#44]
ALL YOUR MELONS ARE BELONG TO US!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Golf Balls, they are great fun with .22s. I'm not sure how well they would hold up to rifle velocity though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Golf Balls, they are great fun with .22s. I'm not sure how well they would hold up to rifle velocity though.

A single shot blows them all to hell. They are fun to shoot with an AR. They fly a lot. Best distance I got out of shooting one was about 35 yds!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#47]
just some of the targets that i have made. im me if you can weld and want to know what metals and where to get them. Brian
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#48]
the race course 4 shooeter at a time 13 targets all reactive hooked to a computer to tell us who shot theurs down the fastes, and a reset time of 5 seconds for all of the targets. pricless.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Most of the time I've used milk jugs but they blow apart after a few hits. I've been planning to try filling them with expanding foam to see if they hold up better. The foam should bond to the plastic and hopefully keep the jug from ripping as easy. Has anyone tried this?

Sounds like a great idea to me.  Let us know how it works ut if you ever get around to trying it.  

You could also try filling pop bottles with something like sand or even cement.  I really enjoy shooting up old cinder blocks.  Great for new shooters too -they get a real kick out of it!

-K

ETA- Old soda bottles or milk jugs filled with ice should work well too, and it won't cost too much.  You could try wrapping the bottles with duct tape before filling/freezing them to reinforce the plastic.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
the race course 4 shooeter at a time 13 targets all reactive hooked to a computer to tell us who shot theurs down the fastes, and a reset time of 5 seconds for all of the targets. pricless.

i2.tinypic.com/vex4qe.jpg

You have no idea how aroused I am at those pics...

Damn! I'm sure they ain't cheap, but damn, if only I could have those!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top