Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 2:08:05 PM EDT
I'm thinking about buying a sound bar.   Specifically the Klipsch r20b.

My question being have any of you gone from surround sound back to a sound bar and been happy with it? I have a sound bar in my bedroom and I love it sounds great it's great for music is great for TV, but I'm not sure  how I feel about doing it in the living room.    

What has spurred this is my center channel is too large to fit in most entertainment centers it's 8 inches tall by 22 inches wide I went to a massive store yesterday they had one unit that my center would fit in but I couldn't fit all my other stuff in that one.  Right now I have one of those black and metal glass shelves that in theory was good but in reality you can't hide the wires and I'm sick to death of seeing the wires.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Have a Samsung with separate sub-woofer. Not as good as sureound, but pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have a Samsung with separate sub-woofer. Not as good as sureound, but pretty good.
View Quote
I have the Klipsch R10B in my room with separate sub.  They really do sound good but I can't decide if I will miss surround sound.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:33:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm retuning my sound bar and replace my my AVR that is dead. It just sounds un-natural to having a 5.1 setup. I think the main issue is it sounds like just like a hollow center channel with a sub.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm retuning my sound bar and replace my my AVR that is dead. It just sounds un-natural to having a 5.1 setup. I think the main issue is it sounds like just like a hollow center channel with a sub.
View Quote
How did you calibrate your system?  Was your center channel timbre matched to your left and right speakers?  Was your sub calibrated?

I know that some people just don't like surround sound but most of those haven't heard a properly set up system.  While I can't compete with the local theaters running Dolby Atmos, my room does sound better than their regular screens.  Basically, if you like the sound when you go to the movies but don't like it at home, you haven't properly set up your system.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got one with a sub-woofer that has satellite speakers.  Works pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. I'm plenty satisfied with mine. I'm no  audiophile so it is more than sufficient.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How did you calibrate your system?  Was your center channel timbre matched to your left and right speakers?  Was your sub calibrated?

I know that some people just don't like surround sound but most of those haven't heard a properly set up system.  While I can't compete with the local theaters running Dolby Atmos, my room does sound better than their regular screens.  Basically, if you like the sound when you go to the movies but don't like it at home, you haven't properly set up your system.
View Quote
It was an old pioneer htib. I didn't calibrate it to perfection. Just used the built in tool with my iPhone as a SPL meter. My new receiver will be a denon and I'll use the audisey app to do the room correction.
The vizio sound bar didn't have many options for adjusting anything. It was barely better than the tv's built in speakers. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about buying a sound bar.   Specifically the Klipsch r20b.

My question being have any of you gone from surround sound back to a sound bar and been happy with it? I have a sound bar in my bedroom and I love it sounds great it's great for music is great for TV, but I'm not sure  how I feel about doing it in the living room.    

What has spurred this is my center channel is too large to fit in most entertainment centers it's 8 inches tall by 22 inches wide I went to a massive store yesterday they had one unit that my center would fit in but I couldn't fit all my other stuff in that one.  Right now I have one of those black and metal glass shelves that in theory was good but in reality you can't hide the wires and I'm sick to death of seeing the wires.
View Quote

I've been going through a similar issue with wanting a large center channel integrated into the entertainment center.

Local furniture stores may have entertainment centers, but few of them have centers truly designed for real HT equipment - meaning lacking appropriate dimensions to fit AV Receivers, BluRay players and certainly not large center channels.

Solutions do exist from manufacturers that specialize in HT furniture design. Check out the following, they will have solutions to hold a large center channel along with other HT equipment.

Salamander Designs:  [url=http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/]http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/[/url]

BDiUSA: https://www.bdiusa.com/media-furniture/index.shtml

These are not low cost solutions, but offer the ability to integrate existing big system components.

This is the one I ended up with since it had enough shelf space for the center channel speaker.
https://www.hayneedle.com/product/twin-stars-65-in-curved-tv-stand-vibrant-espresso.cfm?ltype=child&tid=TSI337-1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top