Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:01:07 PM EDT
I'm getting CustomVue (they make a topographical map of your eye and use the laser to make it more perfect than previous LASIK surgeries could.)

They are using the Intraslase, a laser which replaces an old fashioned blade, to make the flap.  I like this because the surgeon has very little to do and can't screw up much.

The total for everything is $3135.  I have loan papers waiting on me to sign - already approved.

I've been wearing contacts for a long time, so I had to go buy a cheap pair of glasses to wear until the surgery to make sure my eye is in its true shape and not shaped by my contacts.

They said they would give me a Valium beforehand and an Ambien afterwards.  

I'm planning to go to work 2 days later - they said this would be fine.  

I'm SO exicted to be doing this.  I can finally afford it and the level of technology is at a point where I feel comfortable with it.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've thought about it, but afterwards I'd need glasses to read a book or possibly the computer.  Screw that.   I'm comfortable with contacts for now.    
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Tagged.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've thought about it, but afterwards I'd need glasses to read a book or possibly the computer.  Screw that.   I'm comfortable with contacts for now.    

I'd rather wear reading glasses occasionally, than have to wear glasses/contacts all the time.

One of these days I will have it done. The wife wants hers done first though
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Why would you need reading glasses after LASIK?  Is it because of presbyopia?

I'm not old enough to have that (getting there though.)  The doctor said even if I get it, it would most likely be mid 40s and having LASIK or not having LASIK would not affect it one way or the other.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would you need reading glasses after LASIK?  Is it because of presbyopia?

I'm not old enough to have that (getting there though.)  The doctor said even if I get it, it would most likely be mid 40s and having LASIK or not having LASIK would not affect it one way or the other.

Exactly.  If your current correction, glasses or contacts, allows you to read, then you'll be in exactly the same condition with LASIK.  I'm a tad over 40, so I knew that I'd need reading glasses after the procedure.  They tried to talk me into having one eye set for reading, but I opted for the proper correction.  I love it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You may need reading glasses or bifocals anyway. It's part of the natural aging process of the eye.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm getting CustomVue (they make a topographical map of your eye and use the laser to make it more perfect than previous LASIK surgeries could.)

They are using the Intraslase, a laser which replaces an old fashioned blade, to make the flap.  I like this because the surgeon has very little to do and can't screw up much.

The total for everything is $3135.  I have loan papers waiting on me to sign - already approved.

I've been wearing contacts for a long time, so I had to go buy a cheap pair of glasses to wear until the surgery to make sure my eye is in its true shape and not shaped by my contacts.

I'm SO exicted to be doing this.  I can finally afford it and the level of technology is at a point where I feel comfortable with it.  

Make sure you are "loopy" enough before they start the procedure. Don't eat for several hours before the procedure, it seems to make the valium work "better".

2 days should be plenty. Once the valium wears off you will probably be pretty ok.

Keep those eyes moist. They should give you a bunch of drops. You may want to ake them about "eye ointment" it will keep the eyes moist when you are asleep better than drops will.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Same one I got - but it cost me $4500.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Everyone who's had LASIK: what was your prescription?

I hear all sorts of propaganda for this and that, and would like to know the facts from people who've actually done it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:44:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I had mine done in 7/2000 and my wife had hers done 6 months later. My vision was something like 20/80 and 20/100. My wife was just about blind without glasses. Today I enjoy 20/25 and 20/20 and I have had zero problems. It was the best money we ever spent! Best of luck!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#11]
20/275 and 20/225 on my glasses.

Had mine done Nov. 04 by Tylock.  $4000.  Well spent.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:08:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Everyone who's had LASIK: what was your prescription?

I hear all sorts of propaganda for this and that, and would like to know the facts from people who've actually done it.

Prior it surgery I had:

Without glasses:

Left 20/100
Right 20/50

With glasses:

Left 20/50
Right 20/15

For years I had more than one eye doctor tell me that nothing would matter - I would never be better than 20/50 in the left eye.

After surgery:

Left 20/20
Right 20/15
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:27:23 AM EDT
[#13]
-3.75 in both eyes before the 'surgery'

A few days later, L=20/14 and R=20/16. This was done 6 years or so ago and there have been some changes due to age since then.
$4800 was my cost.

edit:spelling
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:28:41 AM EDT
[#14]
good morning.

i had mine done last may.  i am way over 40 so i do have to wear reading glasses.  before the lasik i was blind without my glasses.  the world was pretty much a blur.

the next morning i was drinking coffee on my shooting bench and could see the leaves on the trees.  wow.  it was a whole different world.

my right eye didn't respond as well as the left one did and was redone in september.  now the left one is 20/20 and the right one is 20/15.

when i was talking to the eye doctor before it was done, he asked me what i wanted to be able to see.  apparently he could  have done each eye a little differently and cut out the need for reading glasses MAYBE.  i told him i wanted ot be able to see sights and targets.

shooting is a lot nicer now.  i am of the opinion that this may well be the smartest thing i have ever done.  cost was $3,200.00.

i am going to have my oldest son'e eyes done when school is out.  he is 19 and wants to be a helicopter pilot.  

my brother in law had his eyes done at some cut rate place in dallas and had all sorts of problems with them.  make sure that whoever you go to knows his stuff.

peace.
billr
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:34:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I had the same kind of LASIK you are having done about 2 mo. ago.  I am 36.

The results greatly exceeded my expectations.  With current prescription in my glasses, I was a weak combined 20/20, but my right eye (the one I use for shooting) was weaker.  Without glasses, I was practically blind, with my perscription in the low 7's in my weak eye and high 6's in my "strong" eye.

I am now 20/15 with both eyes about equal.  

I had the proceedure done stone cold sober.  No problem.  Not real comfortable at times, but no real pain either.  I have more discomfort from a routine dentist visit.

I would save the valium for after the procedure.  My eyes burned pretty good for about 4-5 hours and I needed help going to sleep.  When I woke up, no more burning and I could see quite well.  I drove the very next day with no problem.

I did have intial trouble reading (and computer) for a few weeks, where long term use would give me a pretty good headache.  That has now resolved itself.  I also had some eye dryness, but that now has past.  Just figure to give yourself 1-2 months for everything to get back to normal.  

I shot my first service rifle match with the new peepers last Sunday and I surpassed my highest score ever and won the match (after a winter of no competitive shooting).  The sight is definately better than with glasses, which I did not expect from this surgery.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#16]
http://www.geocities.com/pifanon/dismay.html

http://www.weitzlux.com/medicalmalpractice/news/botchedlasik_1170.html
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I had LASIK just over a year ago, with 20/70 in both eyes, and bifocals.  I had a combination of nearsightedness and astigmatism.  anything beyond 3" was a blur.

LASIK corrected both.  I was also offered the option of having one eye corrected for near vision, and one ey for dstance.  This sounded like a headache while reading, so I opted for both eyes corrected for distance.  I can read the 20/20 line on the eyechart, and my distance vision is excellent.

The downsides are few.  I am somewhat glare sensitive, and night driving in the rain is somewhat of a chore.  My ability to see at night outside of glare is almost 100% recovered.  I do seem to need sunglasses more often.  Oddly enough, my ability to focus is very slightly impaired, like a camera in 'soft focus' yet my shooting scores also improved.

I still need reading glasses, which is a small price to pay to no longer depend on glasses.  I wish I had done it sooner.

Ops
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I had mine done on 3 july 1997. I had worn glasses and contact lenses since 3rd grade cuz the glasses were so thick.  Have had zero issues since the LASIK ! no need for glasses at all, changed my life .
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I had the Custom Vue LASIK done about a month and a half ago.  My vision before the procedure was 20/50 uncorrected, now I'm at 20/15.  Was the best $2600 I ever spent.  

I was the last person the Dr. I use did at that price, now his price is upwards of $3k.

Congrats, you'll love it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I had the Custom Vue LASIK done about a month and a half ago.  My vision before the procedure was 20/50 uncorrected, now I'm at 20/15.  Was the best $2600 I ever spent.  

I was the last person the Dr. I use did at that price, now his price is upwards of $3k.

Congrats, you'll love it.

I'm having this same procedure done in a couple of weeks and to say I am excited is an understatement. My best friend had it done for $3000 at the same place I'm going to and he gets lifetime "enhancements" if there are any issues. He LOVES it and always brags about it. I can't wait. I have astigmatism and nearsightedness. I don't need glasses/contacts to drive, but my distance vision is poor.

It's $2400 for both eyes for the procedure. $3000 if you want 1 year of "insurance" if you need a touchup or change made. $3600 or so if you want lifetime insurance. I'm going to try and talk them down to $3000 for the lifetime plan like my friend got.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I want it, but I am still to afraid. I cannot have night vision problems flying for a living. I have been wearing contacts so long its second nature. I probably will go under the knife in a year or two, Im just not in a huge hurry. Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Tag...for more stories and to wish TXguy good luck
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
good morning.

i had mine done last may.  i am way over 40 so i do have to wear reading glasses.  before the lasik i was blind without my glasses.  the world was pretty much a blur.

the next morning i was drinking coffee on my shooting bench and could see the leaves on the trees.  wow.  it was a whole different world.

my right eye didn't respond as well as the left one did and was redone in september.  now the left one is 20/20 and the right one is 20/15.

when i was talking to the eye doctor before it was done, he asked me what i wanted to be able to see.  apparently he could  have done each eye a little differently and cut out the need for reading glasses MAYBE.  i told him i wanted ot be able to see sights and targets.

shooting is a lot nicer now.  i am of the opinion that this may well be the smartest thing i have ever done.  cost was $3,200.00.

i am going to have my oldest son'e eyes done when school is out.  he is 19 and wants to be a helicopter pilot.  

my brother in law had his eyes done at some cut rate place in dallas and had all sorts of problems with them.  make sure that whoever you go to knows his stuff.

peace.
billr

If he aspires to become a helicopter pilot in a military capacity, then this is a VERY bad idea, and will complicate his enlistment dramatically.  Besides, once in the military, they generally provide LASIK for Soldiers anayway.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I would love to have it done but am still afraid even after talking extensivly to my friend who had it done several years ago without complications and can see like a hawk. but you only get one set of eyes and since I can see with glasses and a remote chance that something could go wrong and possibly end up worse than I am now makes me tense and shy away.

I wish I could get over it and he has done his best to convince me of just how safe it is but im just too chicken shit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#26]
It sounds like you may be having your surgery done at the Berkeley Eye Center in Houston.  I had LASIK surgery there in mid-January.  Just like all the other testimonials, I am soo glad that I did this.  I now have 20/15 vision in both eyes.  I experienced blurryness off and on for at least several weeks after the surgery.  The frequency drastically decreased within about 5 days, but you may have some periods where it will be difficult to work for short periods, especially if you are going back to work in two days.  Otherwise all is well.  No more blurriness, and the halo effect from lights at night is completely gone.  I'm amazed at how well I can see.

Good luck,

M.L.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It sounds like you may be having your surgery done at the Berkeley Eye Center in Houston.  I had LASIK surgery there in mid-January.  Just like all the other testimonials, I am soo glad that I did this.  I now have 20/15 vision in both eyes.  I experienced blurryness off and on for at least several weeks after the surgery.  The frequency drastically decreased within about 5 days, but you may have some periods where it will be difficult to work for short periods, especially if you are going back to work in two days.  Otherwise all is well.  No more blurriness, and the halo effect from lights at night is completely gone.  I'm amazed at how well I can see.

Good luck,

M.L.

Doc Lipsky is who I'm using.  

I have a coworker who went to someone else.  She went with a bargain LASIK.  She has night halos and still has to wear reading glasses, but she's also mid 40s.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top