Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/26/2003 6:03:22 PM EDT
So, in the tradition of my "I maced myself today" post from a few months back, I bring you this.

I was using the weed-whacker around the back yard today (Craftsman gas model, f.y.i.) when my rock-solid concentration on not whacking my wife's flowers was broken by a mosquito biting me on the face.  When I let go of the whacker with my left hand to smack the skeeter, the whacker drifted in and whipped the crap out of my left shin.  

Unfortunately, I was wearing shorts, so I ended up with an approx. 2" x 2" bloody spot on my shin that looks like hamburger.  It stopped bleeding a while ago, but now it's just seeping that clear, sticky fluid.  On the plus side, for some reason it doesn't hurt very much.

And, 36 hours later, here's what it looks like.  The bloodier area at the top is where it really got me, and at the bottom are the nibbles it took on the way in or out.  Hope this works.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12777[/img]

Let's all try to remember to practice safety in lawn care.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#1]
got a pic?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, they're pretty good as a child discipline tool too. Let me tell you, you whup a kid with a weedeater, they stay whupped.

Seriously though, they will kill the hell out of a snake too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, don't you feel silly? [;D]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
On the plus side, for some reason it doesn't hurt very much.

View Quote

Nothing to worry about.  That's just the flesh-eating bacteria establishing their infection of the wound.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Lucky for you that your weed wacker does not have the double chain of dismemberment on it like mine does.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#6]
least you didnt wack off your leg.  oh wait thats gay sounding. lol

seriously tho, hope that heals well
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:52:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, they're pretty good as a child discipline tool too. Let me tell you, you whup a kid with a weedeater, they stay whupped.

View Quote

Sheeit Pangea, I knowed I done liked youse fo a rezon!  De STAZE whupped!   When ya gonna hook up fer a shoot, again, HUH???
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Exactly why I always wear a long sleeve shirt & pants when using a weedeater.  Also wear a full face shield, safety glasses, and gloves.

Very dangerous tool if you aren't careful.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#9]
OOOh now you need to clean it.  start with warm really salty water and then follow that up with rubbing alcohol.

When you get off the ceiling check back for the next step.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OOOh now you need to clean it.  start with warm really salty water and then follow that up with rubbing alcohol.

When you get off the ceiling check back for the next step.
View Quote

Lemon juice/iodine mixture?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Won't the salt water mess up the weed wacker???

OH! you meant use it on the leg. Sorry
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
got a pic?
View Quote

[?]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#13]
It's too late now, but you should wear Dickies while doing such work.

However, such an injury is no match for Jim Beam.  He'll take care of you every time.  Especially if you need to do any "Civil War surgery".
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
got a pic?
View Quote

[?]
View Quote

[url]www.ogrish.com[/url]

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Ar least you didn't whack your... ahh... nevermind. [;D]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Only one thing matters here... [i]Did you kill it? [/i]

[;d]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Not to worry you but... hope your Tetanus shots are up to date.

Knew a guy once who hit his leg with a weed whacker... a week later... he was dead.

Well, he was hit by a truck but still... what a coincidence that a week before was a weed whacker incident.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#19]
[img]http://home.attbi.com/~superalpha123/worthless.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Years ago I was listening to the PD on the scanner when a very puzzled sounding officer came on asking for a Sargent.  Dispatch wanted to know what was up.  The officer asked if anyone knew if the Penal Code had a violation for attacking pigeons with a weed whacker.

After a LONG pause the dispatcher came back on laughing (and you could hear everyone else in Dispatch laughing as well) and she relayed the call.

A Sargent came on with a "WTF?" in his voice and began thumbing through his copy of city penal codes.  I do believe that the best he could come up with was along the lines of disturbing the peace/public nuisance.

To this day I still have an image of some crazed sumbitch waving a weed eater like a sword, pigeon chunks and feathers flying.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

[:D] reminds me of the Cottonmouth that kept attacking Juggernaut at the dam across the company creek.  Seems the snake (3.5ft) just went crazy at the sound of a linetrimmer.  Juggy told me about it and I got the "company issued" Rem 870 in 20ga out and told him to lead on.  Got to the dam and the guys fired up the linetrimmers and sure enough, here comes Mama, right out from under the dam I was standing on.  

After I cleared my kid and the other employee out of the way, I smoke-tested the shotgun.  Shotgun worked great, Snake did not.

So without hijacking the thread too badly, I've concluded (along with others) that weedeaters and the vibrations from them can provoke poisonous reptiles.  Beware!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#22]
To this day I still have an image of some crazed sumbitch waving a weed eater like a sword, pigeon chunks and feathers flying.

View Quote

Heeheehee...That was me!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I always wear thick steel-toed boots when I work in the yard for the very reason you described.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:22:11 PM EDT
[#24]
This reminds me of the time that I did that same type of thing. Fortunately for me, it just got me through my sock, so there wasn't much bleeding. I was used to using a gas one, which is balanced rather well when being held with just one hand. I took my left hand away once when I was using an electric, and gravity pulled the thing right into my leg. I never really liked electic, IIRC, and now, I still think that that is the case, only moreso.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Jebus! Glad you're ok. Once I saw a guy that had run over all his toes on one foot with a push lawnmower. I thought to myself, somebody forgot the buns and the cheese!

Where's the pics?

But anyway, its probably numb becuase you severed or destroyed the nerves. Same reason for victims of full flesh burns that do not feel any pain. Probably better off that way.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:39:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Shades of Computerguy...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:43:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Shades of Computerguy...
View Quote

No kidding.  That's the thought that keeps me up at night.  

Will borrow digital camera from work today and work on pics.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:35:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#31]
When I let go of the whacker with my left hand to smack the skeeter,
View Quote

mosquito's haven't hatched yet ,especially in Ill., Hmmmmmmm?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Wanna bet?  

BTT for those that asked for a pic - in original post.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#33]
My safety Merit Bdge Counselor got his hand caught in his RUNNING gas reel mower trying to unjam it.  He was also the lead ambulance driver for the local FD.  Reely lucky he got it jammed with grass and whne cleaning the jam got his whole hand jammed in the reel again the shearing blade.  Damn lucky the belt was loose enough to slip.  Was still running when the first PD unit arrived.  He saw the problem and stopped it and decided to wait until the FD arrived for further assistance.  They also noticed that he had a little abrasion only.  So they called for a photographer.

You can only chase a little when the guys are laughing when your had is still jammed in the mower.  Eventually most of the FD and PD were there.  Once it was determined he wasn't hurt they got some payback.  He found out that his habit of humming and whistling two different tunes at the same time WAS as annoying as it sounds and they had been telling him.  Yeah he could whistle one tune while humming another.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#34]
ouch, thats gotta hurt.....
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Nice. I thank you for this thread now that it includes pictures. [;D]

I'm glad I wore eye protection while weedeating - the glasses were covered with grass and stuff. Dangerous equipment.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#36]
 NICE  PIC!!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#37]
So how do you prove you were in the Seals/GB/etc. if you wear all that safety equipment and don't have any battle scars?  [baby]

ED
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Ouch!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#40]
It's obvious you didn't have the kind with the little plastic or metal blades, or you'd be a hurtin' unit for sure...

Once it scabs over, leave it exposed to air, and it'll heal faster. Just be aware that your leg will now zero in on everything it can run into that's at the same level as the injury.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I bet you will be more careful in killing those mosquito's. [}:D]
Damn that looks like it hurts, glad you are okay and you are lucky the cuts are not deep enough for stitches.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:44:28 AM EDT
[#42]
DANG!!!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Drive on over here.

We have mosquitos all over southern WI and northern IL!

Av.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:16:12 AM EDT
[#44]
The injury looks a lot like the back of my hand after I hit it with an 8-inch course wire wheel on a bench grinder.  That was before I started wearing gloves religiously.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#45]
nice,

a fresh one would have been better though
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:18:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
nice,

a fresh one would have been better though
View Quote

Yep.  Another reason to invest in a digital camera - I could've had that pic up and running within a half-hour of the injury.  Instead, I had to borrow the camera from work.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Look into a trimmer that has wheels, they're easier to maneuver and the string is way out in front of you, always wear safety glasses too or you'll put your eye out.[:(]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#48]
now come on admit it, you taped yuorself and will now try to either get on "Jackass" or "America's funniest home videos"
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Dare I say it:  Your cut runneth over.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#50]
How deep is it?

Details, man, details! [:D]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top