Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2012 8:37:13 AM EDT
What is wrong with the Ford Straight 6 that it fell out of favor and is no longer being made?

Especially the 300?

Good fuel economy. Good HP. Great torque. Responds well to HP mods without adversely affecting fuel economy.

Now available only as a reman. What is up with that?

ETA:

Ok, maybe it is time to go back to the drawing board.

I need a 3/4 or 1 ton for towing (a diesel is on the list for next year). I also need a family hauler (Honda Odyssey fills that role now).

However, I would also like a 4x4 1/2 ton pickup for general runabout purposes. I don't want to buy new and I would prefer that there not be 50 miles of wiring, emissions tubing, an ECM, etc.

Something durable and easy to work on. My right arm is still sore from the contortions required to reach that sensor.

I remember the old Dodge we had when I was a kid. You could fit a grown man (maybe 2) under the hood. You could sit on the fender with your legs down by the engine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:40:53 AM EDT
[#1]
It's absurdly tall and won't fit anything but a truck.  Also, V6 engines can be used in FWD models.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#2]
It lasts too long.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#3]
It is not "new".
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It lasts too long.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What is wrong with the Ford Straight 6 that it fell out of favor and is no longer being made?

Especially the 300?

Good fuel economy.
Good HP.

It does have good torque, though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's absurdly tall and won't fit anything but a truck.  Also, V6 engines can be used in FWD models.

Sorry, I was thinking about it usage in pickup trucks. I often forget that cars exist.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Low power output compared to more modern compact designs that would fit in multiple platforms and likely inability to attain EPA required levels of emissions.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Absolutely nothing. A perfect engine if there ever was one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Not 'fast' enough for the 90% of pickups that are used by soccer moms.

Not 'HD' enough compared to a modern, efficient diesel.

In the days of N/A diesels and the crappy 6.5, it was king. Now, not so much.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a 60's vintage mustang for a while ... 6 in a row, makes them slow ;) ... About the only thing you could do to kill it was to run it out of oil

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It lasts too long.  

veritas
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:52:41 AM EDT
[#13]
To me, the only thing wrong with it is that they don't make new ones. It was a great engine. Bulletproof.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a 60's vintage mustang for a while ... 6 in a row, makes them slow ;) ... About the only thing you could do to kill it was to run it out of oil

And even then, that's not a sure bet.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Gas mileage wasn't the greatest and the HP numbers were low.

I think it's one of the finest engines ever made.

Yeah, in terms of longevity that thing was a motherfuckin' TANK.

I think they were just too good, and had to go.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It is not "new".

This and not progressive enough.You must have an engine that you cannot work on.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#17]
My father had one in his '85 F150.  It was as pathetic as it was reliable.  

Arfcom views the past through rose colored glasses.  If a truck was made with one today, the press and buying public would roar: "What the fuck is this shit!"

Edit: A friend of mine had an '89 with one, and his was problematic, so even they could be lemons.  The most memorable issue was a distributor shaft breaking.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Low power output compared to more modern compact designs that would fit in multiple platforms and likely inability to attain EPA required levels of emissions.

That very well could be the actual reason.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:57:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Arfcom views the past through rose colored glasses.  If a truck was made with one today, the press and buying public would roar: "What the fuck is this shit!"

Well, I'd go against the grain on that...

But I don't actually need anything more than a 4 banger.

Now if I did need a truck, I wouldn't look down my nose at a straight six. No way.

I'd consider one for a daily driver project even, except my climate and salted roads preclude that notion.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#20]
From time to time I get the silly notion to fix up an old late 60's F100.

I thought a 300 might be nice in it.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It lasts too long.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is not "new".

This and not progressive enough.You must have an engine that you cannot work on.

I hate that so much.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

From time to time I get the silly notion to fix up an old late 60's F100.

I thought a 300 might be nice in it.

Yeah, it'd be a kickass project, provided you aren't in the rust belt.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I have one in my '82 f150 plow truck.

Terrible fuel economy, but it pushes snow like a mo fo, and hauls a shit ton of wood.

I wish the body wasn't rusting off the frame.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And even then, that's not a sure bet.

True. I ran my Mom's '64 Econoline van out of oil before I knew better. It had a 170 with a 3-speed on the column...and it WOULD NOT DIE!

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#27]
My '90 Fi50 heavy half had a 300 6cyl in it...and with 360,xxx miles on it shei still ran like a top. A truck ain't supposed to be a sports car...it's a truck. I'd NEVER buy any ford truck past a '96. Now if they still offered that inline 6 in an F150 or F250 that would be another story.

That old truck with the 300 and a 4speed with overdrive was a pull'n MoFo.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#28]
It was discontinued because of new emissions rules.  I imagine that Ford weighed the cost of making it meet the new standards against the resulting loss of power/economy and building a new V6 when they axed it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That is part of what has me on this kick. I spent last weekend replacing the crankshaft position sensor on my 5.9L Dodge.

ETA: It was an exercise in frustration. You can barely see the sensor from underneath the truck, but you can't touch it. You can barely touch it from above, but you can't see it at all.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:02:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have one in my '82 f150 plow truck.

Terrible fuel economy, but it pushes snow like a mo fo, and hauls a shit ton of wood.

I wish the body wasn't rusting off the frame.

That has been my experience with 6cyls.

Without an actual need to chug more fuel, I'd rather just not.

And if I need to chug more fuel, might as well just go with a V8.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#31]
IIRC, they still sell em in Australia

I'd like an old f-150 with dual gas tanks and a straight six
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:03:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Had a 1993 F150 with a straight 6. Five speed stick shift. Sucked gas. Remember getting an average of 10mpg. But, it never let me down and to this day think that engine is running strong for its owner. The only problem I ever had with that truck was a replaced transmission clutch at over 100,000 miles and the starter that was such a simple task to replace. Role under, remove a few bolts. Put new starter on and you're good to go!

I miss that truck.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:03:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That very well could be the actual reason.

My understanding that this is what killed Jeep's 4.0 I6 as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You'll need em.  My dad's '95 F150 gets 13 mpg on a good day.  Fuck that, if I'm going to take a mileage hit like that I'll take something with some giddyup, tyvm.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#35]
If the 400 in my truck has to go, then the 300 is my next choice.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#36]
My dad had that engine in his Ford.  Last he heard it was well over 400k miles and the truck was junked because the body was so rusted out.  He was told the engine was saved so it could be rigged to pump water.

That engine was also a work engine and hauled boats down to florida and back and then did another 100k on a farm.

My guess as to the number 1 reason as to why it is no longer made is government mandated fuel economy standards.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is part of what has me on this kick. I spent last weekend replacing the crankshaft position sensor on my 5.9L Dodge.

ETA: It was an exercise in frustration. You can barely see the sensor from underneath the truck, but you can't touch it. You can barely touch it from above, but you can't see it at all.

At least AFAIK your truck doesn't like to spit these like candy compared to my powerstroke. I counted 6 different cps from internaional and ford, with different orings all supposed to fit the same thing, and work the same but when you put them in the truck acts different nearly with every one. I need to pack a spare in my truck thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Especially the 300?

Good fuel economy.

Doing some further research, it looks like I must have misread that. It was pretty late last night and my eyes were about shot.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You'll need em.  My dad's '95 F150 gets 13 mpg on a good day.  Fuck that, if I'm going to take a mileage hit like that I'll take something with some giddyup, tyvm.

I already get that with my '01 with the 5.4 V8 triton, but I guess I'd miss the extra power.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That old truck with the 300 and a 4speed with overdrive was a pull'n MoFo.

I have a 90' F150 4x4 & it won't pull shit.  It will however go just about anywhwere.   My '01 w/the 5.4L will out pull the shit out of it & gets 7mpg more than it.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

This. It couldn't meet the latest EPA regs.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I'd go against the grain on that...

But I don't actually need anything more than a 4 banger.

Now if I did need a truck, I wouldn't look down my nose at a straight six. No way.

I'd consider one for a daily driver project even, except my climate and salted roads preclude that notion.

I drive like a granny, I even have a Prius in my personal fleet...  The 300 was a torque monster, but didn't like higher RPMs so it was not a pleasant engine to have when attached to a wide-geared 4 speed.  You felt like you were either lugging it, or killing it with RPMs.  I learned to drive on it, and loved it, but once I drove one with a V8, I realized just how undesirable it was.  

I'd have like to have experienced what EFI would have done, but my memory of that engine is now rather poor.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#43]
I wish I got the mileage that a 300 does.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:16:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It lasts too long.  

10/4 I got over 500k out of mine in 11 years. Only regular maintenance ie.replace what broke and motor on. I am awful about oil changes,like every 25k+ miles or so. It just would not die. After killing three deer,a vehicle or two and a lot of shrubbery the rest of the truck wore out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:18:06 AM EDT
[#45]
It is still being produced.

The reason it is not used in cars/trucks in North America is emissions, packaging issues and the fact that they had better/cheaper options that were available and wouldn't need money thrown at them to meet the new standards.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#46]
I used to have a Maverick with a 250 straight 6 (which I believe was later made into the 300). It had serious power. A lot of people thought it was a 289/302 because it really hauled ass. And it kept going forever, long after it should have died.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Well, maybe it is time to go back to the drawing board.

I need a 3/4 or 1 ton for towing (a diesel is on the list for next year). I also need a family hauler (Honda Odyssey fills that role now).

However, I would also like a 4x4 1/2 ton pickup for general runabout purposes. I don't want to buy new and I would prefer that there not be 50 miles of wiring, emissions tubing, an ECM, etc.

Something durable and easy to work on. My right arm is still sore from the contortions required to reach that sensor.

I remember the old Dodge we had when I was a kid. You could fit a grown man (maybe 2) under the hood. You could sit on the fender with your legs down by the engine.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Well, maybe it is time to go back to the drawing board.

I find TONS of cheap 67-72 and 73-79 Ford trucks out on CL everyday. Very simple and every part that the local parts stores don't carry can be bought new from at least 3 specialty vendors, probably more.
I love my '71.
What area are you in?

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#49]
My first love was an '85 Ford stepside with the straight 6.

Broke everything on that truck BUT the motor. Traded it at around 200K with no major failures that weren't my own doing.

Damn I miss that truck.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Don't get one of the newer ones with the Mazda Made Aluminum 5 Speed Manual.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top