Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2002 9:57:49 PM EDT
How are Black Labs?
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had a few labs in my years and they have been kinda of excitiable.  Almost too much when they are young.  The best breed I have ever had is a german shepard.  If you have the money, go for a king german shepard.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
ROTTWEILER!!!
[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v0/8/19/83/21581983rSMwUlCFmQ_ph.jpg[/img]

Big goofs till about age 2 or so, stick to your hip and dont ever worry about anyone touchin' yer stuff [:D]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How are Black Labs?
View Quote

Ummmm....well they're black.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Get an English Bulldog. They have such cool personalities. Each one is very different. This is princes. She is my third Bulldog. The first one died from old age and the second, her father, was stolen.
[img]community.webshots.com/storage/1/v0/1/85/6/28618506zkKDlSkcnK_ph.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, Before I get flamed I must say .. I DID NOT NAME MY DOG!! My wife did. I hate the name but it does fit her.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Brittanys! Very good all-around dog.  This one is smart as hell, and probably the best dog I've owned

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p7cce9fad823eec28bafb356375d9130a/fe0208a3.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:24:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I really want something bred for hunting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Waterfowl hunting?
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I probably won't train the dog for hunting, I just like hunting breeds. I like the German Shorthairs also.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog.

[img]communities.msn.com/_Secure/0NAAAAPQQepypbUUlZyLiz!5TpZqTkhS9koqUANxHqGNLP5uKsD16zkG!GY2Z5eU4qgw*oQsD35AkVd33DZuFhg/IMG_00120.JPG[/img]

Expensive, bratty, lots of health problems, there is no finer beast in the world. [:)]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#12]
German Shepard all the way!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#14]
GSP's are great dogs too.  It's one of the few hunting dogs that, I think, also make good "inside" dogs.  I considered getting one before I decided on getting a brittany.  

Ready to hunt! -

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p2036ea626bf12b49f304055da4b6b165/fe020729.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Hehehe. Asking people here about dogs is like asking what's the best gun to get. You'll get 7000 different answers! Oh, by the way, you should get a...

PS---Go to the local pound and see which one you fall in love with. Or hit some rescue sites on the net. Give a throwaway dog a chance at life. Five of our six dogs were got this way.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:04:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I plan on going to a rescue so I don't have to deal with puppy problems. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#17]
[beer] Bless you...!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#18]
In Caliban...
They passed a new law? Called the ":Bite Law:"?
That? If your dog is known ?to bite? and  it inflicts injury?? You can be charged with a FELONY!
JWIH  "just what I heard"
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:28:41 PM EDT
[#19]
If I had a dog that was known to bite, it would be dead already.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:42:49 PM EDT
[#20]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid28/p87bad9a409e8cf15634810408b2ad99d/fe02048a.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]

Alaskan Malamutes are great dogs. This is a picture of "Star"; she was my second Mom for many years.

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#21]
i worked at a vet clinic for 13 months and also recently raised my own black lab from a puppy (now 3yrs).  i like labs, they do chew on everything for quite a while but i love mine.  she is female (i prefer female dogs) and she has kind of a bum leg (hips are a big issue in labradors from overbreeding, make sure if you get a puppy that BOTH parents are OFA certified, there still is no guarentee that a dog will not come down with hip dysplasia).  labs have great temperments and my dog loves little kids and rolls over on her back when they go to pet her.  some breeds to be leary of german shepherds, some people love them, but at the clinic there were few that i trusted turning my back to, this might be fine for safety but what if i were a relatives kid, etc.  also rottweilers, pit bulls, are all sketchy.  there's always one that will be nice but the next one will take your finger off.  gsp's are nice, not my fav though.  chesapeake bay retrievers are kinda cool looking but i have been told that they are not as nice as labs (read-even more bull headed).. just my opinion.

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 12:37:59 AM EDT
[#22]
ive heard good things about german shorthair pointers and airdale terriers
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Black labs are great dogs, hopefully soft-mouthed and fairly tough.  If trained when young, can be great around kids.

But...{dont' you hate "buts")...greasy coated, not as bad as chessies, but they will show in your carpet.  They love water so get use to your stuff being wet.  They can be bullheaded, so you need to train em' when they are young. They will get fatter than an Italian bride very quickly.  Hip dysplasia is a problem, especially if you don't keep em' trim.

For all that, they are a great dog with less health problems than the yellow or chocolate labs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I got my pitbull from an animal rescue. They found the 2 week old thrown away in a trash dumpster. Apparently he didn't "make the grade" for dog fighting and was left for dead by so called dog breeders. Best dog my family has ever had so far...
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:32:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog. Loyal to a fault and fearless. Check 'em out on the web.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:54:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Dauchounds!!
Sweetest, littlest dogs in the world!
I miss mine all the time.
c-rock
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:15:48 AM EDT
[#27]
[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/2/87/23/29028723ZbYtMuzSDT_ph.jpg[/img]

This my Irish Setter Murphy. She is or should I was a fine bird dog (she is now 12 years old). The gentlist dogs you can find, great with kids, but keeps good watch for strangers. Damn fine buddy!
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:59:52 AM EDT
[#28]
My advice as always is go to the local pound Breed Rescue Organzations. You can get full, sometimes even papered breeds that way, save a life, it costs little, and if you want you can find older dogs that someone has turned in that are allrady house trained. Assholes turn in perfectly good dogs every day, sometimes expensive well trained ones. There are usually lots of pups available too.

My preferance of breed though that is a SUPERB hunter, and family dog is the Chesapeake Bay Retriever
[img]http://www.cbrrescue.org/images/cbr.jpg[/img]

[url]www.cbrrescue.org[/url]

Later

IAJack

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Boston Terriers are without a doubt the most lovable and playful of all dogs. They are real jokers.

[img]http://www4.ncsu.edu/~ransom/bonnie/bon.00.m.jpg[/img]

They like to go for drives..

[img]http://home.att.net/~Clemantine/DRIVING.JPG[/img]

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#30]
[url]www.petfinder.com[/url]

Rescue a dog...please.

My wife and I are picking one up tomorrow, our second rescue dog.

QS
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#31]
my wife and i have a vizsla (hungarian pointer) named rusty and he truely has become or first child.  picture a weimer...only red all over...ours is named rusty.  they are very friendly...a bit high strung...but then again all bird dogs are wound a bit too tight.  the thing abotu a vizsla...they really almost have to live in the house with you.  they are such people dogs that i think rusty actually believe he is human.  

i've also seen good thinsg about the rhodesian ridgebacks...very athlitic, similar in build to a vizsla but slightly more agressive and protective.

i too recommend going to your local pound or rescue to get your dog.  one of my friends here at work got a ridgeback/coon hound mix at a pound.  it is very similar to a purebreed ridgeback but at a fraction of the cost (and they saved a puppy too).

good luck...sloth
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Get a cat.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Golden Retriever - from a reputable breeder.

Goldens have the greatest personality and are wonderful with kids and other animals. When did you last hear of a child mauled by a Golden?

Male Golden are as good(maybe better!!)as females for household pets. They will be great with family and friends but still territorial enough to be a decent watchdog.

Obediance training is essential with any breed.

docmac86
Owner of "Benden's Crazy Over Jake" world's greatest Golden Retriever. Known to family and friends as just plain Jake or Bubba!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Pit bull

[img]http://www.sporting-dog.com/photos/Zebo.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Black labs are great dogs - one of the smartest breeds.  Another great dog, and the smartest, is a border collie.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#36]
<-----------------------------

Black Labs are just plain awesome!
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#37]
my suggestion is
get a stinky (but cute) mutt from the pound
like mine, Zoe
[img]http://home.swbell.net/cbrofman/zoe1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home.swbell.net/cbrofman/zoe2.jpg[/img]
[img]http://home.swbell.net/cbrofman/zoe3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#38]
A REAL DOG...ALL DOG?
Don't waste your time with some B.S. Mutt!
Get A REAL DOG!
[img]http://www.dogbiz.com/dogs-grp4/amstaff/images/amstaff-280x240-shd-tig.gif[/img]

American Staffordshire Terrier!
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Staffordshires are just Pit Bulls that are bred for "appearance", instead of performance".

No finer breed than the American Pit Bull.
Smartest, Most athletic, loyal.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#40]
OK, I just snapped a few pics with the digital camera...

[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/5/79/82/29057982adCsOjYIkL_ph.jpg[/img]
[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/5/80/6/29058006DzkhuqdUBy_ph.jpg[/img]

And, how could you not love a patriotic dog?  (no, its not a flag, its a blanket)
[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/5/80/21/29058021unorkSqAve_ph.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 2:56:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Just got an American Bulldog puppy,his dad was 178lbs and his mom was 164lbs.

Two young pitbulls walked in on mon and the puppies and I meat the the breeder out side hosing out the kennle.
One of the pitbulls looked like O.J Simpson got his hands on it.

[img]http://pitbull.hypermart.net/mikeandwinston.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#42]
[b]
Quoted:
Staffordshires are just Pit Bulls that are bred for "appearance", instead of performance".

No finer breed than the American Pit Bull.
Smartest, Most athletic, loyal.
View Quote
[/b]

Well if you mean "performance" as in dog fighting,well yes the AmStaff has seen some of that bred out,but in my experience they are far,far more personable,and have a much better disposition with people and in most cases other animals.
Still,would you want to incur the wrath of a protective AmStaff?
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How are Black Labs?
View Quote

bunghole,
I scanned through the posts a couple of times but still may have missed information.  Any way:
Do you have a family - children - how old ??
Do you live in a single family deweling, an apartment or ??
Do you have a fenced yard ??  Acreage  ??  Will your dog have room to run or will you have to walk this dog ??

Finally, and I'm not being smart, why do you want a dog ??  Will you keep the dog or are you likely to tire of it and.....??

Tough to suggest without knowing at least most of the above.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 3:49:31 PM EDT
[#44]
No kids
House on 1/4 acre with big (for this neighborhood) fenced back yard (about 6000 sq ft)
The SO travels for business alot and is gone for long stretches. It would be nice to have something to come home to. A dog would also get me out of the house more often.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
No kids
House on 1/4 acre with big (for this neighborhood) fenced back yard (about 6000 sq ft)
The SO travels for business alot and is gone for long stretches. It would be nice to have something to come home to. A dog would also get me out of the house more often.
View Quote

You've an excellent situation for most dogs.  

However, one more time I scanned the posts and see you are partial to the hunting breeds.

Having asked all the questions and received your responses I'll now disqualify myself as I'm just not familiar enough with the hunting breeds to give an opinion.

I would like to say that I'm pleased that many mention rescued dogs/shelters, etc.  It would be insulting to accuse you folks of having a "good heart."  But you do.

Finally as I'm certain all of you know, dogs are believed to be the first animal domesticated by man and that was no accident.  Dogs are pack animals and we are basically herd animals.  Both structure and order are required in packs and herds so we understood the basics of getting along.
Dogs choose to live with us not because it's convenient but because we and they possess and admire certain traits - bravery, loyalty, honor and integrity.

Get out among the hunters you lean toward.

The right match will happen.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 4:28:20 PM EDT
[#47]
GTacoma
Nice Britt! It looks a little bigger than most.
How is it around the yard. The last one I had was VERY HYPER.
Do you let him in or is he too spun for the house?
Did you get him from a local breeder?
As far as labs go you need to know what your looking at. Their are breeds of labs withing the lab breed. Show dogs, family dogs, hunting dogs and field dogs and even these can have some sub catagories.The filed dogs are very hyper the last one I had was more hyper than my pointers. I never had a dog I could teach to lay at my feet until that one. He was just starting to settle down at 2 years of age when he got out and got hit by a car. Damn Winds blew down my fence.
Email if you need more insight
Scratch
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Labs are excellent dogs.  I saw a show the other day and they claimed that the Lab is the best family dog.  
I personally want to get a German shepard, but my wife wants a miniature schnauzer(sp), so it looks like we'll get a Miniature schnauzer.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I know you said you like hunting dogs, but my vote here goes for the Pit Bull. Great dogs, and usually very stable.

If you want a dog with personality, Pits win hands down. Someone mentioned Wiemerieners earlier. Talk about a dog with that "WHAT" look in their eyes. I've known a few, and none had much personality. Good hunting dogs, probably. But not much fun.

I also recommend going with one of the rescue organizations. They are generally pretty good about checking out a dogs temperment before adopting them out. And alot of times you can find a recue shelter that either deals in a paticular breed, or had what you're looking for.

If you don't go that route, make sure and find a good breeder. There are alot out there who don't give damned about the breed and are just looking to make a buck. They can be hard to spot, but generall you can tell a well bred dog from one that has just been bred for a side income.

Take you're time and do your homework. Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:48:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
GTacoma
Nice Britt! It looks a little bigger than most.
How is it around the yard. The last one I had was VERY HYPER.
Do you let him in or is he too spun for the house?

Scratch
View Quote

Thank you!

He is a little bigger than most brittanys. Last time he was at the vet I think they told me he was 47 lbs.  

He was an accidental pregnancy so I got him at a reduced price. The Breeder breeds both french and american brittanys. I guess a french and american brit fell in love and somehow they got pregnant.  Anyways, French brits are supposed to be calmer dogs, and this one is pretty calm. He does fine in the house and he won't run off when we go outside.  The only time he gets really hyper is if I don't get to exercise him for a few days.

The only other Brittany I have had my family adopted from a shelter. She was abused by her previous owners, so she didn't act much like a normal brittany (very timid, wouldn't hunt) but she was a good dog too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top