Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2015 12:26:16 AM EDT
yesterday we lost a family member. Our 9 year old cavalier king charles spaniel was diagnosed with mitral valve disease about a year ago. She was my wifes dog before we got together and we had no idea but apparently almost every king charles will have some degree of heart failure in the course of their lives, some as early as two years. We were able to manage the disease for much longer than our vet expected but yesterday she was having alot of trouble breathing and her right front paw went limp and cold. She threw a blood clot. We took her to the emergency clinic and were presented the harsh reality that it was time... I sure will miss her waiting on me to get home from work every morning and waiting on me to toss my under shirt next to the bed for her to sleep on. Its just not fair that such great companions live such short lives. So arf... give your furry friends some extra love tonight amd if you have a cavalier, please have them checked early. I will be drinking beer and pampering my other dogs this evening...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:27:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, man.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to hear that.

I have two Cavaliers in my lap right now.

Our youngest has a check up this week.

They'll get an extra treat tonight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#4]
They really are such affectionate dogs. If your vet is unaware of the risk have them pay special attention for heart murmurs... doing some reading and cavaliers are said to be at the highest risk of heart disease by some. Start them on a heart health supplement early on. Check nutramax for good products. I wish I knew about them sooner... all my pups from here on will be on them
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They really are such affectionate dogs. If your vet is unaware of the risk have them pay special attention for heart murmurs... doing some reading and cavaliers are said to be at the highest risk of heart disease by some. Start them on a heart health supplement early on. Check nutramax for good products. I wish I knew about them sooner... all my pups from here on will be on them
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up.

Before we got our first, I called our vet and talked to him about potential health issues.

One of the things he looks out for is MVP/murmurs.

You nailed it when you said they are affectionate dogs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:26:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:28:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Sweetest dogs on the planet

I am sorry for your loss

Mutt is getting a hug right now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top