Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 6:49:30 PM EDT
Alright, so for the past 2 years I have been sending money to the NJ State Law Enforcement Officers Assoc.  This year, I also pledged to send money to the NJ Vietnam Veterans' Memorial.  As I am getting ready to make out the checks, I realize they have the same post office address in the same town.  Also, the amount I pledged over the phone is almost double what they invoiced me for the Vietnam Vet's Memorial Fund.  

Is there anywhere I can go to check to see if these charities are legit or just one of the scams you hear about?  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of those fundraisers are a semi scam.  The organization does get some money, either a lump sum for the use of their name for a set amount of time or a SMALL percentage.  I usually ask the caller if he/she is a member of the association that they are representing and how much money actually goes to the association.  When they tell me the answer; usually something like 20% goes to the organization, I tell them they ought to be ashamed of themselves and hang up.

The liscensing of their name guarantees monies go to them but the amount is very small compared to the amount collected. Even the gumball amchines for the crippled kids works this way. The huge pickle jar with the picture of the kid with leg braces on saying to please donate money for the blind, crippled orphans of veterans? Yep them too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I had heard that many of these organizations are scams, and I try to ask them a few questions to verify their legitimacy before I commit to sending them any cash.  I no idea that there were some scams endorsed by the actual agencies though.  Very disappointing.  

There has to be a website out there that verifies and debunks charities.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I always ask them to send me paperwork and try to check into it, I dont get calls anymore since I changed my phone number though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top