Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 6:59:29 PM EDT
I need the doctors cause more deaths then firearms and stuff info I seen before.  I need it before friday I got a plan and I need that info to help with it.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's one:

Subject: Warning!!!! Doctors proven more dangerous than guns!
>
> > Number of physicians in the US: 700,000.
> > Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year: 120,000.
> > Accidental deaths per physician....  0.171 (U.S.  Dept.  of Health & Human
> > Services)
> >
> > Number of gun owners in the US: Eighty Million (80,000,000).
> > Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) 1,500.
> > Accidental deaths per gun owner: 0.0000188 Statistically, doctors are
> > approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.
> >
> > "FACT: Not everyone has a gun, but everyone has at least one Doctor."
> > Please alert your friends to this alarming threat.
> > We must ban doctors before this gets out of hand.

Basically the same:
A recent article in a Seattle Newspaper:

The Seattle Washington Post-Intelligencer article concerning Accidental deaths caused by physicians has triggered a chain of thought that resulted in a person searching the web (not me) for some statistics and doing a few calculations.

Number of physicians in the US - 700,000
Accidental deaths caused per year - 120,000
Accidental deaths/physician = 0.171

Number of gun owners in the US = 80,000,000
Number of accidental gun death / year (all age groups) = 1,500
Accidental deaths/gun owner = 0.0000188

Therefore, Doctors are approximately 9000 times more dangerous than gun owners. I've seen similar figures for accidental "caused" by doctors published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

It seems a loaded gun isn't as dangerous as a loaded/unloaded doctor. Taking it a step further, car accidents kill around 50,000 per year with less than 200 million drivers. So if we're worried about public safety, obviously we should tell Slick Willie and certain cities to stop wasting time with lawsuits against "small potatoes" like gun manufacturers. Instead they should go after the bigger culprits first, like medical schools and car manufacturers. Besides, we may need to consider arming ourselves for protection before entering hospitals.

My own additional analysis:

Number of drivers = 200,000,000
Number of car deaths = 50,000
Deaths/driver = 0.00025
(Deaths/driver) 0.00025 ÷ (Accidental deaths/gun owner) 0.0000188 = 13.3

The rate of death per driver is 13.3 times as great as the rate per gun owner.

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:12:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Number of physicians in the US = 700,000
Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year = 120,000
Accidental deaths per physician = 0.171
(source: US Dept. of Health & Human Services)

Number of gun owners in the US = 80,000,000
Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups) = 1500
Accidental deaths per gun owner = 0.0000188
(source: US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you.

Im gonna put together a petition something to send to probaly Liberman with cover letter like.

Sen. Liberman I would like to address these concerns to you, because of your support for misguided firearms laws that do nothing more then damage our country I belive you would want to ban doctors also.  

Thank you for your misguided beliefs.

Then I will take this info and my petition, dress in my purple 70s gear with the collar to my shoulders, put on a blue somberio and try to get people to sign it.

Then send it to him.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Dose of reality: American medicine more dangerous than guns
Charley Reese

Published in The Orlando Sentinel on December 7, 1999.

The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor killed about 3,000 Americans. On the day before the anniversary, the Institute of Medicine released a report that states doctors and hospitals kill 44,000 to 98,000 Americans per year by mistake.

Well, well, well, what do you think of that? Apparently American medicine is more dangerous than firearms. Firearms accidents (read mistakes) kill about 1,400 people. In fact the death toll from accidents, homicides and suicides is lower than the low-end number killed by medical mistakes.

Yet, many doctors have the gall to join the propaganda campaign against private ownership of firearms -- one of those rights that Americans fought to preserve in World War II. It is absurd to live under a government that says to its citizens, "We will train and equip you with lethal weapons, but as soon as you are discharged from the service, we cannot trust you to own a private firearm."

It is even more absurd for a medical profession, in dire need of cleaning up its own act, to self-righteously and erroneously assert that murder is a public-health problem. No, murder is a moral problem. Getting killed by doctors' errors is a public-health problem. Doctors allowing pharmaceutical corporations to turn them into drug salesmen is a moral problem. Doctors participating in so-called clinical research for a drug while taking money from the drug company is a moral problem.

And here's a tip for wolfishly hungry trial lawyers: If a gun manufacturer is liable for the criminal misuse of a firearm, then certainly a pharmaceutical manufacturer must be legally liable for the fatal misuse of its products by doctors. And talk about deep, deep pockets, the pharmaceuticals have them. Sic 'em, boys.

Come on, now folks. An official study has just shown you that doctors and hospitals are three to five times more lethal and dangerous than the nation's murderers. The odds of surviving a criminal encounter are much higher than the odds of surviving a visit to your doctor and hospital.

In fact, when you compare American fatalities in World War II, American doctors and hospitals kill more Americans in a comparable time period than the Japanese and German armies did in 1941-45 if we use the high end of the Medical Institute's estimate. It would be a sour turn of events indeed for an American fighting man to survive a war only to come home and get killed by his doctor.

In all seriousness, folks, it is clear that what can be rightfully called a public-health crisis is caused, at least in part, by the following factors:

Pharmaceutical companies have way too much influence in organized medicine and literally bombard doctors with advertising and new nostrums. This goes back to the days when the Rockefellers, heavily invested in pharmaceuticals, got into cahoots with the American Medical Association and managed to convince the world that allopathic medicine (treatment with drugs) was the only legitimate form of medical care.

Doctors try to treat too many patients.

Government regulations place too great a burden on doctors and hospitals while not placing nearly enough of a burden on the price-gouging pharmaceutical industries.

Americans have been indoctrinated by both their doctors and commercial advertising into the false belief that whatever ails them can be cured by popping a pill or sipping and sniffing a liquid drug. Why is anyone surprised that the war on drugs has been a failure?

So, there is a lot of work to do to correct medical errors. In the meantime, you doctors should lay off attacking the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. My guns are less of a threat to my safety than you are.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:34:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I stay away from that because it's the same type of warped logic the anti-gunners often use. With that logic you can show hospitals kill more people than they save. The warp is to ignore the point most people go to the hospital because there is something wrong with them and sooner or later everybody dies.

A relevant statistic would be how many do doctors kill compared to how many people kill themselves by not going to the doctor or going to a witchdoctor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top