Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 12:18:21 PM EDT
Lately, I've only been interested in gun related activities.  This isn't entirely bad in and of itself, but I am told that I'll eventually become bored with it if I overdose on it.  The individual telling me this is a fellow weaponry aficionado.  I wouldn't put any weight in his opinion if he weren't.
In that spirit, list what I should see and do to be more culturally aware. [
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If you lived near me, we could go to the Japanese Kimono's of the 20th Century exhibit at the Dayton Art Institute this weekend.

Link to exhibit
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Lately, I've only been interested in gun related activities.  This isn't entirely bad in and of itself, but I am told that I'll eventually become bored with it if I overdose on it.  The individual telling me this is a fellow weaponry aficionado.  I wouldn't put any weight in his opinion if he weren't.
In that spirit, list what I should see and do to be more culturally aware. [

Who feeds you all those BS about gun culture being bored?  On the contrary, the more you dive into it the more hook you gets.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Fine wine

Fine whiskey

Fine cigars

Exotic cars

how's that for a starter list?  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#5]

BTW, initially, I thought you say "nurture"
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Fine wine

Fine whiskey

Fine cigars

Exotic cars

how's that for a starter list?  

Expound on 'fine', for the above, please.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

BTW, initially, I thought you say "nurture"

I need a hug, too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I suggest Dannon Blended. The Blueberry is great. Strawberry isnt bad either.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Wow. That was weak.

Anyway, you don't need 'culture'. However, reading more couldn't be a bad idea. I'm sure you could get plenty of suggestions. To hijack, has anyone here read Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason"? I saw it referenced numerous times while reading another book and wondered if it was any good.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Come on out here to NY and I will "culture" you till you scream, my treat.b
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:42:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow. That was weak.

Anyway, you don't need 'culture'. However, reading more couldn't be a bad idea. I'm sure you could get plenty of suggestions. To hijack, has anyone here read Kant's "Critique of Pure Reason"? I saw it referenced numerous times while reading another book and wondered if it was any good.

Weak? What cho talkin bout willis?? Yogurt has tons of cultures in it. Very good for the digestive system.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#12]
You should work on becoming a pie aficionado.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I need 'culture'

You will not find it here !
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Drive over to Jackson, MS, and catch the Baroque Dresden exhibit.
Awesome jewels, arms and armor, Old Master paintings, gold, porcelains, and a 41 carat diamond.
Runs through September.
Treasures from the Green Vaults.Baroque Dresden
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#15]
You're a Texan!  I thought culture beyond guns involved creating the greatest BBQ menu.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I like classical music, opera and nice long walks around the lake in addition to blasting small rodents...
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#17]
You should get into this thing called the internet.  If you're spending too much time with your guns, put them down and surf the net.  That'll fix everything.

ETA:  woohoo, #3333!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You should get into this thing called the internet.  If you're spending too much time with your guns, put them down and surf the net.  That'll fix everything.

ETA:  woohoo, #3333!

LPCMF'er
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:48:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Your friend is right.  Why not look inot some kind of physical activity?  Running, biking, tennis, volleyball, swimming, etc.  It's loads of fun, good for you, and a great way to meet chicks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Your friend is right.  Why not look inot some kind of physical activity?  Running, biking, tennis, volleyball, swimming, etc.  It's loads of fun, good for you, and a great way to meet chicks.

Already lifting, and am waiting on a doctor's appointment before I start running.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I suggest you read the collected works of Jacque Derrida.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I need some culture too.  But there's nowhere around here to get it.....

But, I am traveling up to Cloudcroft, NM for a very nice Mother's Day lunch with my mother and mother in law.  Nicest place around at least.  Bout 90 miles away......
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Already lifting, and am waiting on a doctor's appointment before I start running.

That's good and all, but the key is to get out of the house.  "Lifting" is great, but it's not the same as an activity done just for the sake of fun.  I ride my bike over to the beach almost every night after work and it truly is not at all a "workout" it's just fun.  Plus I get to check out all the honies!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

It is a profound philosophical work. Have fun.

Be warned: It is not an easy read.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Culture sux.

I used to think that I wanted 'culture', that I needed 'culture', that, somehow without 'culture' I was just some piece of worthless garbage.

I have nothing in common with anyone who "has" culture. I enjoy people, fun outdoor activities like shooting and skydiving, drinking beer, getting dirty, getting "dirty", etc.

My life is a lot more fulfilled since I decided I was just a common redneck.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Try this. You'll thank me later. Get a CD of Beethoven's 5th and/or of Beethoven's 9th. Get a vehicle that will do an easy 90 mph. Go to the most beautiful (long) stretch of road you can find, and play the CD while driving as near to/far into triple digits as you dare (gotta blow the carbon out, right?). That is culture.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:53:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I wouldn't jump right into this culture thing if I were you. Better to immerse yourself slowly.

For example, try listening to NPR for short periods of time before, say, shelling out big bucks for a year's membership to a gay bathhouse.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Try some genealogy or take some classes at a local school for drawing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top