Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2013 2:12:01 PM EDT
Long story short, I don't have any credit cards, and my only debit card met its demise in a drive through when I was buying a cholesterol bomb last night.

I'd like the ability to pay for gas at the pump and to buy things online while I wait for a replacement.

Is a prepaid card a good solution for this problem? Are there crazy fees or any other concerns?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Most financial advisors call them "stupid cards". Need I say more?

Are there crazy fees or any other concerns?
View Quote

Yes...overdraft fees just like checks. A thief can empty your account in seconds and you don't have near the unauthorized purchase protection of credit cards.

Just get a credit card and pay it off at the end of each month.

Sorry, misunderstood the O_P.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes...overdraft fees just like checks. A thief can empty your account in seconds and you don't have near the unauthorized purchase protection of credit cards.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Are there crazy fees or any other concerns?

I'm under the impression that, with the prepaid cards, I can load one immediately, use it, and throw it away when my new debit card arrives.

I'm pretty sure I can't get a credit card that would help me right now, with it being Friday night. Even if I could, I'm not sure if that would be my best choice. I don't know much about how credit cards work because I'm not the sort of guy that buys things I can't pay for. Aside from interest, what are the fees of a credit card, and is it okay to maintain a $0 balance for months on end?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does your bank have a branch open on Saturday morning?

I use BOA and they can issue a temporary debit card at any branch location.
View Quote

My bank is USAA. Until recently, they had no physical branches, and the only ones they have now are near military bases.

Basically, I'm up the creek on that one unless I open another account at a bank that can print debit or credit cards on site.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
You can go to CVS and buy a Visa card. They cost $4.95 and can be loaded  with up to $500. There are no monthly fees and work just fine for pay at the pump and online purchases. There is also a card called Mango that actually has your name on it and you can direct deposit into it and put much higher amounts on it. It's fees are reasonable,  we had one for my son away at school.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#6]

I used them for a while for any non-cash purchases.  Don't know what the story is lately, but the physical card was free, you put whatever amount on them you want (I think there may be a limit now).  The only real downsides I found were if you lost the card, or if someone got the numbers and used it without authorization you're SOL.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Your bank should have instant issue atm cards.  They work same as debit and credit cards with no cvv code.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Your bank should have instant issue atm cards.  They work same as debit and credit cards with no cvv code.
View Quote

Nope. That would require a physical bank.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#9]
wal mart i think has them
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Online is gtg. I've had some that wouldn't work for pay at the pump.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Online is gtg. I've had some that wouldn't work for pay at the pump.
View Quote
I was curious if I could use one for online purchases ammo etc. just load it when needed and buy.

trying to eliminate CC's from my life

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Would these work for Paypal?   Sometimes I come across small vendors who use that abominable service either directly or as a CC processor, and a couple bucks in card fees would be worth it to keep PP away from any real financial information.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top