Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2001 6:09:22 PM EDT
Delta Force land warriors was fun but I've mastered it. IT also has a lot of lag online.
I like first person games and being able to play over  the network.
Anyone have sugestions?
Scratch
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Rainbow Six Covert Ops or Rogue Spear. "Tango Down." More addictive than crack.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#2]
While not first person, Fallout Tactics is pretty sweet, I have been playing it for a few days now, and while very hard, it is very rewarding to have to pay to outfit your squad, and its just a cool enviroment (if you played either of the fallout RPG's, youll understand, if not, go pick up a copy of Fallout, it is one of the best games of all time! 2 was pretty good too, but very repetitive.) and it is multiplayer

Or, if your a battletech/mechwarrior nut like me, Mechwarrior 4 is also very good, I just finished that, hence getting fallout tactics.

I, myself am still waiting for return to wolfenstein, and Duke Nukem forever (SHAKE IT BABY!)[:D]as far as FPS games go.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:22:10 PM EDT
[#3]
this isnt first person, but download ACES HIGH. its free, the base is about 30 meg. then you update ocasionally. you get a 2 week free trial in the big game, 150-200 people in a massive WWII type conflict. you fly fighters, attack, bombers, AAA, tanks, naval batteries, ect. the graphics are basic but the play is good. after you trial expires, you still can play 8 person rooms, pr pay 30$ a month to play big game. i just play 8man games
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]
look into getting "Halflife" if you haven't gotten it already, there are two mods made for Halflife that are particularly good, Firearms and CounterStrike.   If you buy the Game of the Year edition it will probably already come with CounterStrike.

Both Firearms and CounterStrike are pretty fun, they are fast paced and objective oriented team games.  The missions aren't huge open environments though like what you get with LandWarrior.

I agree, LandWarrior does get a bit laggy online and I've got a fast computer and a cable modem.

Tribes 2 just came out yesterday but I can't really recommend it just yet as I haven't played it enough to tell you if it's good or not.  It's got the huge outdoor environments that LandWarrior has but if you don't like getting your ass plastered all over the wall by a couple of 13 year olds then Tribes 2 isn't for you.  It's hard as hell for the most part.

Since getting my new computer I haven't reinstalled Rogue Spear onto my computer yet.  With my old machine it seemed to run alright but it wasn't the greatest online.

As for good non first person shooter games, both Age of Empires 2 and Diablo 2 are good games, AOE2 is a strategy empire building game that will get you hooked into strategy games.  Diablo 2 will get you into the role playing games where you're slaying monsters, casting spells, and trying to rid the world of evil.

God, would you listen to me?  I'm a bigger dork at 23 than I was at 13.

If we had enough people who all had LandWarrior it would be a joy to get a couple online games going some time, like I said I've got a cable modem and a decent computer which should be enough for a private game of 8-12 people.  I've made a couple maps for LandWarrior that are pretty damned fun, both Deathmatching and team based Attack&Defend are fun as hell with LandWarrior.

Then for Rogue Spear, we could all gang up and take down some tangos in classic "mall ninja" form.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If we could just get hold of MILES gear we could play for real.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Bout the only game I've wasted time and money on is Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun, it's a pretty good sim game kinda like sim city except Its war and you use tanks and such.

It'll keep you busy for days on one game if you suck!
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
007, if you like Tiberian Sun you'd probably go ApeS**t for Age of Empires 2.

Tiberian Sun can run extremely slow at times, with Age of Empires you can run at as fast a pace as you want or you can take it nice and slow building up an empire and such.

Not only that but Age of Empires has like 12 different civilizations that you can choose from, each has a unique look and special units to choose from so you can have an advantage over another enemy or they can have an advantage over you.

Seriously, I think Tiberian Sun is completely stomped by Age of Empires 2, AOE is more of a midevil setting though with knights and horses rather than where Tiberian Sun is modern day.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I've seen previews and It looks pretty good, thought about buying it but figured I would just waste time that I could be using to expand my knowledge of firearms. [;)]
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for HalfLife, AOEII, and Rogue Spear.

I'm still just playing the demos over and over(cheap me), but they are awesome. I want to go buy them, but I spent all my cash on the LEGP! Boohoo.

Oh well. Anyhoo, get all three, STARTING WITH HALFLIFE!
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Counter Strike is the biggest game played over a network right now.

Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#11]
SWAT 3 Elite Edition close quarters battle.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, Swat3 is a real head turner when it comes to great graphics and tactics.

I played the demo quite a bit, haven't looked into getting the full game yet.  They just added a multiplayer feature to Swat3 so I'd kinda like to check it out again.

Swat3 had some really impressive graphics.  It's also really hard to kill the computer controlled team players when you're playing SWAT3.

I've managed to kill off the entire team when playing Rogue Spear but never with SWAT 3, the computer will tag your ass real quick if you so much as fire on one of your team and if you manage to drop 2 of the 3 then the 3rd one will get you during a reload.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#13]
ok Uglygun ... just for you .... here's how you kill your team .... in the demo it's in the "Trading Company" ... for gear issue your team MP5's but issue yourself the Colt M4 ... clear building and go downstairs ... leave your team upstairs, after you've cleared the downstairs stage, have your team fall in. Stand just in the hall way facing the stairs and when they come down unload on them ... you'll kill 2 ....then run down the hallway and reload ... pop back up and take out the other 2. When the message comes up that you've failed the mission just click on continue. [}:D]
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out this demo:

OPERATION FLASHPOINT: COLD WAR CRISIS

Great first person WW III shooter.  65 meg download, full version is due out in a couple of months.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Go to http://www.axleonline.com for Operation Flashpoint.

Kyle
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a copy of Janes " WORLD WAR II FIGHTERS "
 It is not a new game but it is still pretty good . Locks up once in a while on the " fly now " option .
 My 5 year old son LOVES the original Command
and Conquer game . He is almost as good at it  as I am .
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Give something else a try and forget all of that other crap.  Try Unreal Tournament or ALICE!  Since you really like first person games, Unreal Tournament is the undisputed "God" of first person games.  Also, if you think you might want to try a game before you buy it, go to [url]www.RazWarez.com[/url]. It is the best, hottest, most kicka** website on the internet (next to AR-15.com, of course).  I am a moderator/writer for the site and we just did some remodeling - so keep checking back often because this site will make you laugh your a** off!
[img]http://razwarez.search.everyone.net/cs/17/14/26/261417/c/images/logo.gif[/img]
Kurtz
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:55:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I got a copy of Janes " WORLD WAR II FIGHTERS "
 It is not a new game but it is still pretty good . Locks up once in a while on the " fly now " option .
 My 5 year old son LOVES the original Command
and Conquer game . He is almost as good at it  as I am .
View Quote

Ranman, check Jane's game website ... there may be a patch there to download that will correct your "glitch" in the Fly Now mission. P.S. Jane's USAF is a killer air combat sim. --Rooster
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been playing the demo for Operation Flashpoint.  It's incredible.  I'm buying the full version the minute it's released.  A big thumbs up.  I guarantee everyone who's into PC games on this board would like it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Unreal Tournament
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Rainbow 6 Rogue spear

Janes WWII fighters

Link Posted: 3/31/2001 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Counter Strike gets my vote.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Unreal Tournament
Lots of Maps to play on and off line (practice, You'll need it!)
"Bots" will auto adjust for more realistic play offline or on line.
All kinds of play types, Capture the flag, deathmatch, team deathmatch, assault, domination and the ability to make even more with "Mods"

Wear "Skins" and dress the part.

I've been playing for about 2 years now and keep comming back to it again, and again.

Try It!
You'll Like It!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#25]
The Operation Flashpoint game is nice but it's got some things it needs worked out.

First is the gay assed speech they have in the game where the in game characters talk to you and they sound like they are straight out of a budget movie flick where the first take is the very first time they've ever set eyes on the script, it just annoys me and I can't take the game seriously.

Then comes the reloading sequences.  You mean to tell me that a grunt who slept with his rifle all through basic training isn't going to be able to move and reload at the same time?  I hate how when you do a reload in that game you all but come to a complete stop.  Firing and moving is real hard I'll give credit there, but I'm willing to bet that any one of us on this forum could pull off a reload while in damned near a full run, we might not reload so quickly but we could get our ass out of the way.

I'm just talking about the game play though, when you run out of ammo you seek cover as you do your reload, in Operation Flashpoint your ass gets shot off 10 times over before you can even reload your damned gun.  That little feature causes game play and realism to lose out if you ask me.

CounterStrike has a pretty funny animation in it where when a character does a reload with the M4 carbine the animation shows the hand pulling back on the forward assist to charge the weapon instead of pulling back on the charging handle.  It's a pretty funny and pretty serious goof up, poor schmuck who made that animation obviously never had the pleasure of shooting an AR15.

I've got Unreal Tournament too, I don't play it all that much but I have been thinking of trying one of the mods that are made for UT.  They've got some real good looking mods for UT but I have no idea how they play.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I know its old but i am still addicted to Starcraft Brood war Expansion. When I lived in the dorms I would play until the sun rose. Still do it a lot!

3v3 bgh no lag***
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I haven't played Swat3 Elite yet but want to. I have Soldier of Fortune gold edition that I'm a little sick of and have a boxed set of three games Jane's F15, Jane's WWII Fighters, and Comanche gold that are played out. Not to mention Command and conquer that I thought sucked. I also have Armored Fist 2 that I never could get to work right, and SuperBike.

The best WWII fighter game I have ever played was Fighter Squadron.
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 1:58:39 PM EDT
[#28]
I've played all the games suggested here except the flying games and hand down the most fun one is CounterStrike.  Get half life for 9 bucks and download the mods for free. Or save yourself the time and buy the commercial version.  Even if you get others,  you'll like counterstrike the best.  It's awesome.

crash

Quoted:
Counter Strike gets my vote.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/1/2001 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't understand how anyone can get tired of Delta Force (1 or 2)!  I love playing team DM or standard DM.  It is always better to play with 'adults' (no more than 4 players) who enjoy true sniper type gameplay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top