Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 11:44:40 AM EDT
Starting a new job - was with the old company credit union.

It looks like, from shopping around.... Washington Mutual has the best deal going around here - and lots of locations between work and home.  

Horror stories?

Other recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#1]
USAA if you're in the military.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Free checking from Compass Bank.  They also don't charge for using anyone's ATM.  If you get charged an ATM fee, deposit your receipt for a refund.  

Hey that looks really good too - and lots of branches too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]
firstib.com

online bank
no fees, online billpay
monthly refunds on ATM useage
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:47:08 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 for USAA

No fees
Free Checks
Interest Bearing
Free ATM use (10 per month at any ATM - they reimburse fees)
Free Deposit envelopes

Fantastic Customer Service
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:48:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
USAA if you're in the military.

+eleventy cajillion

USAA has the best banking, insurance, checking, loans, ect that you can get, and i use them pretty much exclusively
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:53:10 AM EDT
[#8]
The wife and I do USAA for everything.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I just got a local checking account with Chase. I already had a couple of their credit cards, so I went to see them. Free checking. If you maintain a $1200 balance they juggle, sing to you, and let you ride their Harleys.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:15:44 AM EDT
[#10]
go find another credit union, many of them now have open memberships, and most credit uniions are service centers, which means you can use any of them if you are a member of one

txl
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:51:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Free checking from Compass Bank.  They also don't charge for using anyone's ATM.  If you get charged an ATM fee, deposit your receipt for a refund.  

Compass bank allowed money to be stolen from my account 32 times in two days, and didn't care.
They have no security, and I quote "we don't have the staff to monitor fraudulent activity".

Washinton Mutual would not make an appointment to refinance to keep my mortgage.  I went to a couple branches, stood in line, to only get excuses about why the loan officer did not have time for me.  There was noone I could call that gave a shit.  When I still had a mortgage I went with a credit union, and it cost Washington Mutual 3 trust accounts, 2 savings accounts and 2 checking.  All went to the credit union.

I am using Chase at this point.  The first out of state transaction I made, they were on the phone verifying there was no fraud.  I am very pleased with their services, the huge amount of branches, and their on-line bill pay and account management.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Is there any particular reason you need to leave the old credit union? If it is still convenient to use why not stay?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Falarak -

I've been with Wamu for about 5 years and have no complaints.  They recently moved me over to their new free checking plan which seems good.  Free checks for life, free checking, no ATM fees for usage (you still get charged a transaction fee by the ATM you are using if it is not a Wamu ATM), and they give you .03 for each debit transaction.  I had switched from B of A due to lack of customer service and service fees.  Been happy ever since.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Bank of America.......Do it.........I dare ya!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Bank of America. If you use direct deposit their checking is free. I've been with them for over a year and I love their service.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:36:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I HATE BoA and will not even consider them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Is there any particular reason you need to leave the old credit union? If it is still convenient to use why not stay?

Because it aint convenient.  I will keep my account open there.... but deposits are a PITA now that I wont be working the onsite..... where the main branch office is.  And I'd love a bank where I will never pay a ATM fee.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:50:20 PM EDT
[#18]
all mine is USAA
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just got a local checking account with Chase. I already had a couple of their credit cards, so I went to see them. Free checking. If you maintain a $1200 balance they juggle, sing to you, and let you ride their Harleys.

I also use Chase. I have free checking with no minimum balance, free internet bill paying (I rarely write a check anymore), free overdraft protection (no $25+ service fees for an overdraft check up to $500 limit) and free debit card. All it requires is to deposit my paycheck by direct deposit. I pay nothing for any of their services.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top