Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2009 6:10:32 PM EDT
I'm trying to optimize my internet setting and I've hit a road block. Basically right now I have a DSL modem from Qwest which is plugged into a Belkin Wireless router that my laptop and Ps3 connect to.

When I run a network speed test I'm getting the proper up/down megabits but my ping is about 80ms which sucks IMO.

My Router's WAN connection setting is set to Dynamic.

When I address into the modem, it says that my ISP Protocol is  PPPoE.

Would this make any difference in my ping?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
DSL is pppoe

a cheapie type router won't give the fastest performance.

you might see if there's a firmware update from the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
ping to where?
any site or only certain ones?

tracert would also be a good idea
if the slowness occurs after the first external hop it's not your equipment causing it
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Here's a test.

I've been using one of those internet speed test sites to generally check everything. On campus I get 5ms ping just on their wireless network.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp343/jmanski/untitled.jpg
Here's a test.

I've been using one of those internet speed test sites to generally check everything. On campus I get 5ms ping just on their wireless network.

The $10,000 Cisco routers probably play a part.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#6]
well darn, I guess I'm just going to go get used to it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Its taking 50-100ms just to make it out of quests network. Not very good at all. You can have a fast network connection but still have lag. Sounds like this is the case.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]
My DSL sucks ass due to packet loss.  Sometimes latency times get pretty crappy as well.  Check your packet loss rate.  Run a continuous ping to www.yahoo.com (from dos prompt "ping -t www.yahoo.com".  If you're packet loss rate is above 3%, all of your TCP connections (browsing, file share) are gonna be slow.  

As more people have gone to DSL in my area, the system has become over-subscribed.  I can't watch a video on youtube without it lagging unless it is after 11PM.  It is really time for me to switch to cable modem.

ETA:

Quoted:
Its taking 50-100ms just to make it out of quests network. Not very good at all. You can have a fast network connection but still have lag. Sounds like this is the case.
-Foxxz

This is pretty crappy.  If you're latency times are better at certain times of the day, then your DSL system is probably over-subscribed.  A faster router isn't going to help that much in your case since you're getting thru your piece of the puzzle in <1ms.  Can't do much better than that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:47:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

My DSL sucks ass due to packet loss.  Sometimes latency times get pretty crappy as well.  Check your packet loss rate.  Run a continuous ping to www.yahoo.com (from dos prompt "ping -t www.yahoo.com".  If you're packet loss rate is above 3%, all of your TCP connections (browsing, file share) are gonna be slow.  

As more people have gone to DSL in my area, the system has become over-subscribed.  I can't watch a video on youtube without it lagging unless it is after 11PM.  It is really time for me to switch to cable modem.

ETA:

Quoted:

-Foxxz

This is pretty crappy.  If you're latency times are better at certain times of the day, then your DSL system is probably over-subscribed.  A faster router isn't going to help that much in your case since you're getting thru your piece of the puzzle in <1ms.  Can't do much better than that.

But what's the timing out about right after my router? Is that my Modem?

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA:

Quoted:
-Foxxz

But what's the timing out about right after my router? Is that my Modem?

Some routers don't respond to traceroutes hence your timeout.

-Foxxz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top