Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/18/2016 6:48:06 PM EDT
Opening the pool I'm still amazed at what a few gallons of bleach can do to kill shit and break organic bonds. Green lagoon turned into clear water in 24 hours. One key of bleach to sanitize stuff is you have to give it time. Don't spray on and wipe off. Let it sit there a few minutes. It's great at cleaning that cooler you left outside for a month but forgot to empty it.

I keep iodine and alcohol for sanitizing wounds but is there anything better at breaking down organic stuffs than bleach?  Toluene?  No there are no dead bodies, just fascinated with how powerful bleach is at killing shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Perchloric acid does a real number on it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
AC drain lines.
Toilet tank.
Shower cleaning.

That's three off the top of my head.

I'm with you. Very useful, very cheap.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Chlorine compounds are wonderful for killing bacteria, so there is that.

Past that, I don't have any recommendation, other than bleach.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I chlorinate the pool using bleach. The people at costco probably wonder wtf I do with all that bleach
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AC drain lines.
Toilet tank.
Shower cleaning.

That's three off the top of my head.

I'm with you. Very useful, very cheap.
View Quote

Hard to beat it's effectiveness for the price.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I keep muratic acid (HCl) at 32.5% for managing pool ph. Nasty caustic shit. Wind changed direction on me and I got a wiff. Mouth was like I sucked on a battery. 16 ounces in a 18000 gallon pool lowered pH by .4!
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Bleach is the ultimate cleaner and disinfectant.
It kills pretty much everything.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Bleach is good, until it spills.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I chlorinate the pool using bleach. The people at costco probably wonder wtf I do with all that bleach
View Quote

I get a few funny looks as well with a cartful of bleach.

Hi!  I'm a Cl ion and I'm going to fuck all your shit up. All of it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Bleach is a very good sanitizing agent.

There are a few specific kinds of things that bleach is not as effective, where chlorine dioxide works better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#11]
you can even dump it down your well
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

In pool world there's this thing called mustard algae. It builds a protective outer layer that bleach can't break.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Can't think of the name but it is an enzyme product that Gary Sullivan recommends on his show.  Way less corrosive.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quat

(quaternary ammonium chloride)

It is better for day to day cleaning as it is much less corrosive,and equal to, or more effective at killing bacteria than bleach.

Easier on your hands, and doesn't make a noxious vapor bomb when mixed with de-limer. ( some noob always does this exactly once)

Also Quat is tasteless and relatively odorless so it is better for cutting boards and kitchen surfaces.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:04:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
you can even dump it down your well
View Quote

It's in the water you drink.

For the preppers out there pick up some calcium chloride at a pool store. It's a solid source of Cl and keeps indefinitely. Bleach rapidly degrades with time, heat and sunlight. With CaCl you can easily make a sanitizing solution with some water.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Also good for keeping stored water good.  A half dozen drops per gallon is all it takes.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Be careful buying a lot of bleach.  You can make some really cool boomy things with it.  Also be careful storing it.  Don't store it next to things that burn.  It's an oxidizer.

Surprised it's not on some watch list - or maybe it is!

I use bleach on the bathroom floors and crapper.  We used to pour a cup or two down the well to kill the creepies.  Made us think we had city water for a couple of days a year.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Carpet and flood cleaning places have some bad ass shit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

There are a few specific kinds of things that bleach is not as effective, where chlorine dioxide works better.
View Quote

I was helping some guys working on my pool gear. No wind and very sheltered by shrubs and house. No air movement at all, traps the air.  Huge Cl smell hits us and we're coughing strongly and I told them were leaving the area immediately and hold your breath.

Nah, were fine. That's when I strongly said out. Now. Now or fuck up you're lungs for life.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think Clorox is 2% bleach/ chlorine
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#21]
FYI Bleach doesn't clean porous surfaces for that use hydrogen peroxide.  Like mold on wood. 3% or better.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I was helping some guys working on my pool gear. No wind and very sheltered by shrubs and house. No air movement at all, traps the air.  Huge Cl smell hits us and we're coughing strongly and I told them were leaving the area immediately and hold your breath.

Nah, were fine. That's when I strongly said out. Now. Now or fuck up you're lungs for life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any hint of chlorine gas, GTFO RFN.

ClO2 is really more effective than household bleach, and a lot lower impact, just not able to package it as a ready-to-use product the way bleach can be.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:27:22 PM EDT
[#24]
If you only used a few gallons then your pool wasn't bad to start.

Whats your pool volume?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I keep muratic acid (HCl) at 32.5% for managing pool ph. Nasty caustic shit. Wind changed direction on me and I got a wiff. Mouth was like I sucked on a battery. 16 ounces in a 18000 gallon pool lowered pH by .4!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Muriatic is not caustic.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Fucking Maniacal.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I laugh when people say they use regular laundry bleach in their pools. I make money off it.

Regular bleach is 6 percent sodium hypochlorite, and has foaming detergents in it that continue to build up. Some bleach has phosphates, which feeds algae.

I will give you a tip. Go to your local pool wholesaler that doesn't sell to homeowners.

Have a bullshit company name, and fill out their application.

Boom. Now you can buy 12% sodium hypochlorite in 5 gallon carboys, without detergents in it, without phospate, for less than 2 bucks a gallon.

You're welcome.

Or Your welcome for all the retards.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't have a pool.

For my wine and beer making along with my kitchen surface sanitizer needs I use Star-San.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#29]

That's just so wrong on so many levels.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Mix hydrogen peroxide with acetic acid.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I vote Cobalt-60 and Cesium-137.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Meh.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you only used a few gallons then your pool wasn't bad to start.

Whats your pool volume?
View Quote

18k. Used 10% Sodium hypochlorite. Aka bleach.

It wasn't bad to start because you try to open before water hits 60 degrees. Close clean water at 60, open before 60. Algae doesn't like to grow below that.  First time I've opened to green water.  Water temp was 66 which is why I had algae.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I laugh when people say they use regular laundry bleach in their pools. I make money off it.

Regular bleach is 6 percent sodium hypochlorite, and has foaming detergents in it that continue to build up. Some bleach has phosphates, which feeds algae.

I will give you a tip. Go to your local pool wholesaler that doesn't sell to homeowners.

Have a bullshit company name, and fill out their application.

Boom. Now you can buy 12% sodium hypochlorite in 5 gallon carboys, without detergents in it, without phospate, for less than 2 bucks a gallon.

You're welcome.

Or Your welcome for all the retards.

View Quote

Whoop whoop.  Misinformation alert. Misinformation alert.

Phosphates have nothing to do with pool sanitation if properly sanitized.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#35]
CuSO4 and CL2 is hard to beat for pools. You can hear the algae scream when using this combo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
Cryptosporidium... Giardia...

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:17:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't have a pool.

For my wine and beer making along with my kitchen surface sanitizer needs I use Star-San.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/star-san

View Quote

Another product I like.

Remember kids, sanitation is the most important part in brewing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Another product I like.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have a pool.

Another product I like.

Yes. So what's in this product?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have a pool.

Another product I like.

http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/StarSanHBMSDS2.pdf

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Is that you, Walter?

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#41]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't have a pool.

Another product I like.

Thanks. Yeah. I have a pH of 1. I'm going to fuck shit up. And then I'll find your family and I'll fuck them up to.  And the bones of great gramma?  Yeah imma bond the shit outta her.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Thanks. Yeah. I have a pH of 1. I'm going to fuck shit up. And then I'll find your family and I'll fuck them up to.  And the bones of great gramma?  Yeah imma bond the shit outta her.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have a pool.

Another product I like.

It's a sanitizer for killing shit!

It ain't for swimming in!

You asked if there was anything better....
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Regular old Clorox laundry bleach goes to shit (i.e. turns into salt water) pretty fast.   Its good when its new, but over a coulple years gets to the point that you could drink it.

Quat Ammonium, Starsan (mostly Phosphoric acid), and Potassium permanganate  are all probably more impressive in their own ways, and more shelfstable.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#45]
I knew nothing about taking care of pools when I bought a house with one in 2010.  It looked like this:

I spent lots of time reading on troublefreepool.com.  About a week later it looked like this:

Nothing but non scented Clorox bleach, once a day brushing and cleaning the filter when it raised 6psi above clean filter psi.  Still looks like that today (Cept I fixed the broken fence and cut down the stupid pines, they were dropping crap in the pool and blocking my view of the lake)  It works out really well, my wife does the couponing thing after work and gets the bleach for free or a few cents per bottle.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Regular old Clorox laundry bleach goes to shit (i.e. turns into salt water) pretty fast.   Its good when its new, but over a coulple years gets to the point that you could drink it.

Quat Ammonium, Starsan (mostly Phosphoric acid), and Potassium permanganate  are all probably more impressive in their own ways, and more shelfstable.
View Quote

I 3> KMnO4.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:07:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Food grade hydrogen peroxide is no joke.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

It degrades quickly. You can't trust its strength past a few months. It does not store well.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I knew nothing about taking care of pools when I bought a house with one in 2010.  It looked like this:

http://i.imgur.com/k1lNF6A.jpg

I spent lots of time reading on troublefreepool.com.  About a week later it looked like this:

http://i.imgur.com/Gm8t4hE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/C1yBM6f.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/goN7dS1.jpg

Nothing but non scented Clorox bleach, once a day brushing and cleaning the filter when it raised 6psi above clean filter psi.  Still looks like that today (Cept I fixed the broken fence and cut down the stupid pines, they were dropping crap in the pool and blocking my view of the lake)  It works out really well, my wife does the couponing thing after work and gets the bleach for free or a few cents per bottle.

View Quote

Nice job. Green to clean. Chlorine is king!

That site is incredible. I sent them hundred bucks. Their advice saved me 1000s in dumping chemicals into your pool over the years.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Chlorine compounds are wonderful for killing bacteria, so there is that.

Past that, I don't have any recommendation, other than bleach.
View Quote

Fucking steam.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top