Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/13/2005 7:55:16 AM EDT
unfortunatly so does the CHP. I was driving to San Diego yesterday in my new Dodge Magnum RT and decided to open it up and see how fast I could go. I hit 110 no problem, but going from 110-120 took a little bit. Once I hit 120 my wife told me to slow down, which I did. I backed off to about 90. Sure enough I see a CHP in my rear view mirror so I slow down to about 75. He pulls me over says he clocked me going 89 and then 75, says someone else clocked me going 115. He didnt ask to search my vehicle, didnt ask if I had any contraband. Just gave me a ticket for going....... only 80 in a 70. Man am I lucky. But Im not mad at cuz I got the ticket. I was speeding and got caught. Ill pay the fine and go to traffic school.

What pisses me off is that I had only been driving for about 10 minutes. My wife had been behind the wheel for almost 3 hours doing between 90-100, sometimes creeping up to 110. I drive for 10 minutes, only really speeding for about 45 seconds and I get caught.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:56:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for making my workplace a safer place
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been to AZ and there are places where 110 is certainly not endangering anyone but you.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, you play-you pay.  Thanks for owning up to it, now SLOW DOWN!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Whats the point of all that power if you dont use it now and again
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:01:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Their was no one infront of me for several miles. I didnt see anyone on the other side of the road either. Im stil trying to figure out where I got clocked at.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the Dodge Magnum.

I really do.

But you do realize that those vehicles are not designed for safety at 100 MPH, don't you?

If you want to go 100 MPH, buy a full blown race car or a German car like a high end BMW or Mercedees.  Other vehicles aren't made to protect you at those speeds.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like you got off easy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:03:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Their was no one infront of me for several miles. I didnt see anyone on the other side of the road either. Im stil trying to figure out where I got clocked at.

Could have been a plane or a helicopter.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It must be a slaughter house in Germany.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I like the Dodge Magnum.

I really do.

But you do realize that those vehicles are not designed for safety at 100 MPH, don't you?

If you want to go 100 MPH, buy a full blown race car or a German car like a high end BMW or Mercedees.  Other vehicles aren't made to protect you at those speeds.

Magnum is much cheaper than high-end over-priced German cars. But if you want to buy it for me ..

Quoted:
Sounds like you got off easy.

Yes. I did. I told my wife shes driving the whole way back.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:05:05 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've been to AZ and there are places where 110 is certainly not endangering anyone but you.

Plus the speed limit in AZ is just a suggestion.  the way the law is written.

how stable was the car at 120?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:05:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

German cars are designed for higher speeds.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Such as?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I like the Dodge Magnum.

I really do.

My brothers beemer did 160mph.  My camaro does around 155 although you have to be downright retarded to go them.  So much air is traveling under a car at those speeds that it would flip you with the slightest bump
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus the speed limit in AZ is just a suggestion.  the way the law is written.

how stable was the car at 120?

Very stable. I must say at 110 it felt like I was going only mabye 85. Rpm was only about 3100. When i hit 120 I knew I coudl tell I was going fast. If I hadn't been looking at the speedometer I wouldnt have known I was going anywhere near that speed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My brothers beemer did 160mph.  My camaro does around 155 although you have to be downright retarded to go them.  So much air is traveling under a car at those speeds that it would flip you with the slightest bump

Nothing is as scary as feeling the front end of a car start to float on you.

Bad, bad mojo.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I never cared much about traffic violations, or how fast I used to drive.....

until I started driving around with my 8 month year old daughter in the back seat.

Cause if she ever got hurt on account of a reckless driver.....my reaction would be indescribable and catastrophically violent!

Slow er' down.....unless you were all alone out there.....to which case.....

sucks you got caught!

and in a Dodge Magnum?!?!  Did you see the gas gauge drop as you punched the pedal?

How fast do you think it would go?  Tops?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, the road from Phoenix to San Diego is as straight and desolate as it gets.  I can see doing 120mph there.  God help you if you wreck, though--no one will see you for hours and I don't even want to think about how far the nearest trauma center is!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yeah, the road from Phoenix to San Diego is as straight and desolate as it gets.  I can see doing 120mph there.  God help you if you wreck, though--no one will see you for hours and I don't even want to think about how far the nearest trauma center is!

which is why I slowed down once i hit 120. I gotta say this about the Magnum, once I got on the road again, I set the cruise control at 73. Going up the mountains into Alpine area along the 8, the car never once downshifted. Talk about power.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I like the Dodge Magnum.

I really do.

The Magnum is built around a Mercedes frame. It WAS designed to cruise easily at 100 mph. I would hardly call it unsafe at 100 mph.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:19:18 AM EDT
[#21]
If you want to drive fast, go to a track.

They have open track days, and you will have the opportunity to drive quickly, safely, in a controlled environment.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:19:38 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like the Dodge Magnum.

I really do.

The Magnum is built around a Mercedes frame. It WAS designed to cruise easily at 100 mph. I would hardly call it unsafe at 100 mph.

All I know is that they're one sweet lookin' ride
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Such as?

I-8 between Casa Grande and Yuma would be my guess.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If one does not know what one is doing, a full blown race car is unsafe at 100 MPH.

Merely owning a vehicle with 100 on the spedometer does not qualify one to drive at such speeds.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#25]
A jack rabbit would probably just turn to a fine mist but....

I wonder what a coyote would do to the front of your car at 120 mph?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

My cousin's a helicopter paramedic in NM, even if they race to the location, they still arrive hours after the accident actually occured for many cases due to slow reporting.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#27]
The Magnum is capable of going much faster. If you wanted to you can have the computer reprogramed and get the performance its capable of. It does however void your warrenty.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The Magnum is capable of going much faster. If you wanted to you can have the computer reprogramed and get the performance its capable of. It does however void your warrenty.

I think I'll pass on that. It is a dodge. I wouldnt mind later on though getting some work done on it. I am looking at an air intake though. I've heard the govenor is set at 130.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I never cared much about traffic violations, or how fast I used to drive.....

until I started driving around with my 8 month year old daughter in the back seat.

Cause if she ever got hurt on account of a reckless driver.....my reaction would be indescribable and catastrophically violent!

Slow er' down.....unless you were all alone out there.....to which case.....

sucks you got caught!

and in a Dodge Magnum?!?!  Did you see the gas gauge drop as you punched the pedal?

How fast do you think it would go?  Tops?

Same here.

I have never been a fast driver, but when I started working in a funeral home I started driving a lot more carefully. When you see the end result of high speed crashes it tends to make you think a little clearer behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nothing is as scary as feeling the front end of a car start to float on you.

Bad, bad mojo.

Been there. Done that. 1970 Delta 88. I had just gotten the new exhaust from Headers by Ed and I was digging the new exhaust sound. The 455 was blue printed and had about $7k tossed into it. Speedo only went to 120 with the pin at about where 140 would be.

I bent the needle against the pin.

The road was straight. New blacktop. And it was 2AM. Every little pebble in the road felt like it was trying to lift the front of that beast.

God I miss that car. Sold it before heading out for my stint in the military. Been kicking myself ever since.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If one does not know what one is doing, a full blown race car is unsafe at 100 MPH.

Merely owning a vehicle with 100 on the spedometer does not qualify one to drive at such speeds.

You're correct. One must also posses a drivers liscence.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:39:26 AM EDT
[#32]
take it to the track.

An unseen or unavoidable dog and other assorted Fauna turn a good day into a very bad one at 120!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:45:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a 2002 corvette it isn't german or anything fancy like that, but 100 in it feels like you are sitting still, heck hitting 90 on on ramps is easy.  

Anything over 140-150 I get a little tense, not from the car, more with vission, you got to be looking pretty far down the road at that speed.

I would recommend a radar detector if you are going to speed, over 100 probably won't make a difference because you might not get shut down fast enough, but just cruising at 90-100 they sure are nice.  Mine has saved me many many times.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Do Magnums come with speed rated tires?  If not, that was a big risk.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I like the Dodge Magnum.

I really do.

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#36]
I was pulled over for 95 in a 55 once - Went to court - Got away with a 125 dollar fine . . .
I was lucky

Dirivng fast is dangerous - But i know the rush you get first hand -

Im not going to knock you for opening up your ponies and letting them run . . . .

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Hats off to whoever does marketing for Dodge...They really earned their paycheck...They have us talking about a huge station wagon like its a sports car...Now if they can just do something about my wife's Town and Country minivan........
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:52:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#39]
My 88 sentra should do about 75 these days.  Thast the speed limit on the highway here, but hell if I'm taking that thing on the interstate!

What would a dodge magnum do to a nissan sentra at 120?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You work in California now?

Truck Driver or Highway Patrol apparently.  I guess that means he owns the road.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#41]
some of you guys w/ your holier than thou attitudes crack me up, LOL!!!  every single one of you at one time or another has put the pedal down to see what your machine can do.  whether it be a car, a bike, a boat......or even your weapons...everyone likes to know what their equipment can do when pushed.  so lighten up
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
some of you guys w/ your holier than thou attitudes crack me up, LOL!!!  every single one of you at one time or another has put the pedal down to see what your machine can do.  whether it be a car, a bike, a boat......or even your weapons...everyone likes to know what their equipment can do when pushed.  so lighten up

I once had sex 15 times in 12 hours.  However, the real medal goes to her.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#44]
The California Highway Patrol actually wrote you a ticket?  I didn't know they still did that -- I haven't seen anyone get a ticket from any police agency in years.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Do Magnums come with speed rated tires?  If not, that was a big risk.

Hence the governor on the speed in the computer on the car,  you don't think that Dodge would limit the car to 130 and then put 85mph tires on it do ya?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I once had sex 15 times in 12 hours.  However, the real medal goes to her.

she got the medal...and you got what??  an IV to rehydrate?  shit..sounds like a fair tradeoff!
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#47]
I was speeding and got caught. Ill pay the fine tax and go to traffic school.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Nation wide,

120 isn't fast in itself, it's fast if some fool is tooling away in the "fast lane"
                     at 64 mph and traffic is rolling by at 85

120 is fine as long as your not going by anyone, the highway he was on is
                     5 lanes wide on both sides! glass smooth and with out any blind curves
                     or hills.

I've seen California Highway patrol do WAY stupid moves to write a ticket for
                     someone driving at a safe speed...but over the speed lmt by 5mph

my favorite road to drive fast on is so tight that you almost can't get a ticket
                     on, the signs are 25 to 35 mph and it's hard to break the lmt on

I drive 45k a year, I see a lot of stupid stuff, the drivers who are fearfull and drive
                      under the limit scare me, but who scares me the most are the people who
                       toe the line driving the speed limit, READING or doing something else
                       while the flow of traffic is wizzing by at 80 in a 65

Our highways where built to drive at 80 mph..... in 1950's cars.
                       I've driven a '57 ford at 80 mph it's not fun, I've been over 140 mph in several
                       modern cars and have been at ease wih it

Open your mind up for a minute, in some states simi's and cars with trailers
                        have split limets 55 mph for multi axle or with trailers, 65 for cars

there's a simi driving at 70 mph, posted speed for the simi is 55
                       a newer car driving at 80 mph      posted speed is 65
                       a '78 pile of crap car driving on 4 differant tires, 3 are bald, the car's not tracking
                       straight and is over loaded  and it's going 73 mph posted speed is 65

Who's speeding and SHOULD get a ticket?

I got caught by the chp at 90 mph, I was driveing my '67 mustang, the car is a
                       prepped track car, roadrace suspention, top of the line tires {used on porsche
                       996's}  He yelled at me for driveing at an unsafe speed,  been over 145 on the
                       track,
                       Hmm my car with
                        245/50 16 top of the line tires,
                       3000 #'s
                       Big Brakes  etc

his car
                      225/70 /15  cheap goverment tires
                      a 4500# car......with a lot of added crap.....plus 500#'s of gear,flares,etc in the trunk
                      and it's safe for him to chase me?

who's the dumb ass?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not really, but when you crash, its all over.

Hardly. I once saw a video of a guy in a BMW convertable flip a dozen times at 110mph...and he got out of the wreck to call for help.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#50]
120 mph on a public road in that tank?  You aren't lucky - you just have very poor judgement and a complete disregard for the safety of others in the vehicle with you.

What was your plan if something unexpected appeared in the road in front of you?  (Yeah...thought so.)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top