Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 3:40:28 PM EDT
I have been excitedly awaiting the return of my upper from GG&G for about 7 weeks, & I just got it a little bit ago today! I had them put on a fold down front sight & install my DSA free float tube while they had it. Problem is, now my bolt wont go into battery. It is stopping as soon as it touches the barrel extension. So now what do I need to do? Help as I would love to shoot it tomorrow on my day off.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you send the bolt with it?

Sounds like the extension/barrel/rcvr is out of alignment.
Or, check to gas tube & make sure it's going into the gas port on the carrier ok.
but if thats not it, unless you've got a spanner wrench, barrel clamp & vise, and preferably go/nogo guages to check the headspace you're hosed as to shooting it right now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I second that, a crooked, misaligned gas tube will stop the bolt from reaching all the way home.  No need to inquire how I know this [BD]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Not related to your bolt problem, but check the taper pins that hold the fold down front sight on.
One of mine dissapeared/shot loose/took leave after about 200 rds. I still have one in place. I plan on sending it back when I get the time.
I'm not knocking GG&G's work, just giving a heads up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok so the bolt carrier key has a shinny edge like it's hitting against the gas tube. So How do I properly align it? I should have sent it with to GG&G but I didn't realize they wouldn't think to do a functions check after having the barrel off to install the free float tube.[:(]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok so the bolt carrier key has a shinny edge like it's hitting against the gas tube. So How do I properly align it? I should have sent it with to GG&G but I didn't realize they wouldn't think to do a functions check after having the barrel off to install the free float tube.[:(]
View Quote

Look to see how bad it missing by,if it not off by much just bend the tube [very carefully] so that it lines up, then see if it goes into battery. I would check the headspace with gauges though before you try it with ammo
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#6]
upper off lower,
charging handle out/removed,
bolt out of carrier,
invert upper,
insert bare bolt carrier & see where/if it's hanging up,
if gas tube is askew, adjust GENTLY with medium screwdriver, preferably one that is wide enough to push on tube while making contact with the body of the rcvr at the same time.

If bolt carrier goes in OK, assemble with Bolt & try inserting again while observing for problems.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#7]
8531sgt
upper off lower,
charging handle out/removed,
bolt out of carrier,
invert upper,
insert bare bolt carrier & see where/if it's hanging up,
if gas tube is askew, adjust GENTLY with medium screwdriver, preferably one that is wide enough to push on tube while making contact with the body of the rcvr at the same time.

If bolt carrier goes in OK, assemble with Bolt & try inserting again while observing for problems.
View Quote

I did this & now I have it working perfect. I will go shoot it tomorrow, & once I have a successful live firing with no glitches it's off to Walter Birdsongs for a Green-T finish![:D]

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#8]
[banana]
Another wecsog success.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top