Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/3/2010 2:53:14 PM EDT
Hi, I am a LEO in PA. I just got accepted to go to sniper school and I have to paint my rifle before going into the school. I am looking for any advice such as links. I attempted to search this but it kept saying no matches found...Hmm.. I would rather keep it black, but the lsat guy they sent to school had to go to walmart and spray his gun in the parking lot before being allowed into class. I do not want to have to deal with that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Will they allow camo tape?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I am of no use, but I was curious why you had to paint it? You said you would like to keep it black, is it already black? What rifle is it? And finally congrats.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Are police snipers expected to have camo painted rifles?

I always figured it would be best in black or gray.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]
It is a Remington 700 in .308. Yes, it is already black, Leupold scope and all. Beside one small city, it is pretty rural around here. I have to do it because that's what the instructors/school that they send me to want. I was thinking of doing it with camo tape that way I can change it per the conditions, but in case that doesn't fly, I am trying to get prepared.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#5]
sumpthin like this.....?

my Savage M10PC.

first was tape and base of Krylon camo Khaki.

Then rubber shelf liner overlay and OD Green Krylon...

Move the shelf liner a bit and hit with Krylon brown...

what it looks like....wasnt satisfied. To light.

Added an overspray of Aervoe earth red....much better.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, something like that. Just a little bit darker though. I have been checking the woods/fields around my area for a while. Mainly there are trees such as oaks, maples, hemlock, pine. The fields are either farm fields or just overgrown fields.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:13:45 PM EDT
[#7]
That Savage looks sweet.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Check this out.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I was reading beside your pic. I'm sorry to hear that. I just had to put my retired k-9 "Nero" down a month ago. He had lymphoma and a degenerative disk disease. It sucks when they aren't here anymore, but I wouldn't have traded a day without him. Time heals, but never forget.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#10]
People always go too dark with their camo jobs - don't be afraid to use brighter greens.

I did a base of light grey primer then Tan - then just a hint of OD. - But I'm in a more urban environment...

Used cheesecloth / netting to break up the shapes.

BE SURE YOU TAPE WHATEVER YOU DON'T WANT PAINTED. (lens, scope numbers, etc.)

Good luck and have fun (painting AND training).  

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#11]
There is a chap on YouTube - I think he is called NutNFancy  - he does all sorts of demo videos on spray painting rifles

Will see if I can find a link for you
NutNFancy on Youtube

Good news on getting into the school too.

The book "Military & Police Sniper" by Mike Lau may be a good investment for you
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yeah, something like that. Just a little bit darker though. I have been checking the woods/fields around my area for a while. Mainly there are trees such as oaks, maples, hemlock, pine. The fields are either farm fields or just overgrown fields.

Never paint it dark, shadows will take care of that for you. Paint lighter than you think.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree that it is light, but the pics really dont do it justice...... It is darker than it looks. I usually start with OD green as my base, and it works very well here..southern mo. I decided to try something different for this rifle this time......I can always change it.... it seems to work a little better in urban than my dark rifle.

I do miss my Mac dog..... he was my best friend, and partner..... he was a four legged tracking machine....and hit HARD on command......

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Heads up. Message sent sir.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Here is a link for you.  Right here on good old ARFCOM!  Seriously, the refinishing forum is the best repository of knowledge I know of on painting rifles.  From Krylon to Duracoat to Gun-Kote to Norrell to whatever!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=19

Krylon is the quick, cheap, easy answer, and I like it for several reasons.  Economical, easily altered, doesn't look too bad after wear, (a subjective opinion, I admit).

The first time I painted a rifle, I admit I had to use liberal quantities of ethanol, (applied internally).  It gets easier with time though.

Krylon is easily removed, so don't let that bother you.

It is actually lots of fun!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Same type of foliage here, and this pattern I recently did is really simple
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#18]

10 minutes and 10 bux, your all set.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Which sniper school?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#20]
what's the planned color scheme?  Urban I assume?  Both of these with painter's tape and krylon.  Only way to fly.  Posted a tutorial of sorts in the refinishing forum, but can't pull it for you.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not positive on the name of the school. It's going to contain woodland colors.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#22]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=19&t=214547

This would be the most effective for a rural area.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:02:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I would also be curious as to which school this is.  I do agree that a rifle should not be black.

TacOps Tango 51.  It is very simplistic and was done several years ago.

Colt M4A1 is a bit more detailed.  I did lay down more of the light green color after this photo however.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#24]
You HAVE to paint it?  WTF.  Is it a LE "sniper" school?  Some private school?  A military school?  When I went to LE "sniper" (let's face it, that term loosely applies to the LE realm) we didn't have to do anything goofy like that.  Marksmanship from a ridiculous number of uncomfortable positions was the main thing.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm really curious as to what so-called Sniper School the OP is going to that requires a LEO to paint his/ her rifle.  I get there are quite a few lurkers on this site, but for someone to have a join date of 12/2009,this is your first post, claiming to be a LEO in PA and going to a Sniper School **that you don't know the name of** and that unknown school requires an officer to bring a painted rifle, sorry, but I gotta call BS.  I'd be really curious of the name of the school you're going to and if they require such things.  Are you part of a SRT / QRT / CTU / FART* / SWAT / HRT or just a patrol officer?  I might be overstepping the line by a tip-toe, but this just seems a little out of the ordinary for a LEO and more along the lines of a troll trying to be a cool-guy.  

Hope I'm wrong.
-SleeperShooter

ETA:  Nothing wrong with lurkers (as I saw MikeJ has a 2002 join date and is up to seven posts), but the Spidey-Senses are a little tingly.... of course it could be the American Honey I've had a few drinks of talkin. -SS
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:20:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm really curious as to what so-called Sniper School the OP is going to that requires a LEO to paint his/ her rifle.  I get there are quite a few lurkers on this site, but for someone to have a join date of 12/2009,this is your first post, claiming to be a LEO in PA and going to a Sniper School **that you don't know the name of** and that unknown school requires an officer to bring a painted rifle, sorry, but I gotta call BS.  I'd be really curious of the name of the school you're going to and if they require such things.  Are you part of a SRT / QRT / CTU / FART* / SWAT / HRT or just a patrol officer?  I might be overstepping the line by a tip-toe, but this just seems a little out of the ordinary for a LEO and more along the lines of a troll trying to be a cool-guy.  

Hope I'm wrong.
-SleeperShooter

ETA:  Nothing wrong with lurkers (as I saw MikeJ has a 2002 join date and is up to seven posts), but the Spidey-Senses are a little tingly.... of course it could be the American Honey I've had a few drinks of talkin. -SS

did just notice the post count/join date...the 3 classes ive been in contact with lately don't require you to paint your rifle, i'd like to know at least if this is a state class, academy class, federal, or private company class?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:03:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There is a chap on YouTube - I think he is called NutNFancy  - he does all sorts of demo videos on spray painting rifles

NutNFancy on Youtube

The book "Military & Police Sniper" by Mike Lau may be a good investment for you

that was his first time using it, I wouldent coat the inside of the reciever like he did... leave it blued/anodized whatever.

I use moly resin. The moly resin is applied to a hot part and drys on contact, then you cure it in the oven at 300 degrees  which dosent damage springs or most polymers. There is less chance of screwing it up.

krylon spray paints chip/wear off too easily, you'll need to beadblast to remove it for a second refinishing, that will remove the finish under it and spraypaint offers little to no corrosion resistance.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#28]
These guys make great stencils to use.

Bulldog Arms
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Who the hell REQUIRES one to cosmetically modify their gear before being "accepted" into training?

Maybe he's training with the super secret squirrel sniper brigade, or perhaps the story is just BS.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

NutNFancy on Youtube

that was his first time using it, I wouldent coat the inside of the reciever like he did... leave it blued/anodized whatever.

I use moly resin. The moly resin is applied to a hot part and drys on contact, then you cure it in the oven at 300 degrees  which dosent damage springs or most polymers. There is less chance of screwing it up.

krylon spray paints chip/wear off too easily, you'll need to beadblast to remove it for a second refinishing, that will remove the finish under it and spraypaint offers little to no corrosion resistance.

Krylon doesn't require beadblasting to remove.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I also asked about which school this was because I have yet to hear a school that requires this to be done.  I know there are a lot of schools out there these days, but I am pretty familiar with most of the predominant schools training LE and I can't think of one that does this.  I know several schools that talk about painting rifles as a part of camo and vegetation use for these purposes as a block of instruction, but I have never seen or heard of a school that actually requires is to be done.  But I am guessing that the OP isn't going to return with an answer.

Without getting heavily into the re-finishing thing as I have been using many types for several years and I will say that the Krylon finish looks more natural or blends into its environment better as it scuffs up.  It is also easy to touch up and there is generally no need to strip the entire paint job.  Krylon does not need bead blasting to remove the finish.  Krylon or a good prepped part (no rust to begin with) and good base coat with top coats will have good corrosion resistance.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Who the hell REQUIRES one to cosmetically modify their gear before being "accepted" into training?

Maybe he's training with the super secret squirrel sniper brigade, or perhaps the story is just BS.

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm not a sniper, but I have looked into some LEO presicion rifle classes and none required the rifle to be painted. There are not teaching you to snoop & poop like a military sniper. It was all about ballistics, trajectory, zeroing, etc.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NutNFancy on Youtube

Krylon doesn't require beadblasting to remove.

Mostly it will come off with gun scrubber and a shop towel.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:18:21 AM EDT
[#36]
My course didn't require it, but suggested it and walked us through how to do it.

It was pretty standard, those that didn't come with a nice factory camo job got Krylon'd in the parking lot before our stalking phase.

They DO teach the snooping and pooping, as modern police sniping is just as much about intelligence gathering as it is about shooting. I've definitely done plenty of scout missions, and never done a single shooting mission.

OP, first degrease the rifle. Use some carb/brake cleaner, or Acetone (KEEP THIS SHIT AWAY FROM YOUR SCOPE LENSES), and get the oil off of it. Then just tape off all the important parts (trigger, safety, scope knobs, jam some cotton balls in the scope and tape them in there, open the scope caps and paint the inside of them. Turn your lens caps so they don't point straight up. Stick a foam earplug in the muzzle.

Then, hit it with a base coat of Tan, followed by greens and browns as appropriate to your AO. It's always easier to add more color, but it's harder to take it away.

You WILL have to touch the rifle up over time if you're actually doing more than just sitting at a bench popping off rounds. I keep a can of Tan and Green in my load out bags.

Remember, it's a tool not a masterpiece. Painting also helps reduce rusting.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:27:55 AM EDT
[#37]
You might want to check out our refinishing forum, OP.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=19
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm really curious as to what so-called Sniper School the OP is going to that requires a LEO to paint his/ her rifle. I get there are quite a few lurkers on this site, but for someone to have a join date of 12/2009,this is your first post, claiming to be a LEO in PA and going to a Sniper School **that you don't know the name of** and that unknown school requires an officer to bring a painted rifle, sorry, but I gotta call BS. I'd be really curious of the name of the school you're going to and if they require such things. Are you part of a SRT / QRT / CTU / FART* / SWAT / HRT or just a patrol officer? I might be overstepping the line by a tip-toe, but this just seems a little out of the ordinary for a LEO and more along the lines of a troll trying to be a cool-guy.

Hope I'm wrong.

-SleeperShooter

ETA: Nothing wrong with lurkers (as I saw MikeJ has a 2002 join date and is up to seven posts), but the Spidey-Senses are a little tingly.... of course it could be the American Honey I've had a few drinks of talkin. -SS

+1

There are a lot of holes in this story and I'm having a hard time believing it.

He's got join dates for last year on Glocktalk and THR.  He's claiming LE there too.  Not calling you a liar OP but you need to explain some more about this bullshit school.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm really curious as to what so-called Sniper School the OP is going to that requires a LEO to paint his/ her rifle. I get there are quite a few lurkers on this site, but for someone to have a join date of 12/2009,this is your first post, claiming to be a LEO in PA and going to a Sniper School **that you don't know the name of** and that unknown school requires an officer to bring a painted rifle, sorry, but I gotta call BS. I'd be really curious of the name of the school you're going to and if they require such things. Are you part of a SRT / QRT / CTU / FART* / SWAT / HRT or just a patrol officer? I might be overstepping the line by a tip-toe, but this just seems a little out of the ordinary for a LEO and more along the lines of a troll trying to be a cool-guy.

Hope I'm wrong.
-SleeperShooter

ETA: Nothing wrong with lurkers (as I saw MikeJ has a 2002 join date and is up to seven posts), but the Spidey-Senses are a little tingly.... of course it could be the American Honey I've had a few drinks of talkin. -SS

+1

He's got join dates for last year on Glocktalk and THR.  He's claiming LE there too.  Not calling you a liar OP but you need to explain some more about this bullshit school.

Who cares?

You guys are like a bunch of old ladies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope I'm wrong.
-SleeperShooter

+1

Who cares?

I really don't care either, but I am curious as to what LE school makes you paint your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope I'm wrong.

-SleeperShooter

+1

He's got join dates for last year on Glocktalk and THR. He's claiming LE there too. Not calling you a liar OP but you need to explain some more about this bullshit school.

Who cares?

It's been brought up by several people including a mod because the whole post is odd.  You don't like it, take it up with someone else.  I just want to know the name of the school and the OP's absence is suspicious.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hope I'm wrong.
-SleeperShooter

+1

Who cares?

I entertain myself by pointing out peoples' obvious lies on the internet. It give mes something else to do while I'm watching TV.

It is funny how the OP hasnt been back since the BS flag went up the pole.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

<snip>

It's been brought up by several people including a mod because the whole post is odd.  You don't like it, take it up with someone else.  I just want to know the name of the school and the OP's absence is suspicious.

This.  Thinking an IP address check is in order to see if this isn't some joker that didn't get the banhammer before.

Quoted:

I think he's on a SSSSSSSSSSSWNPSSS (Super Special Super Secret Squirrel Sortie Shooting Stupid Shitbirds Standing Still With Non-Painted Sniper Shooting Stick).  [<––Longest one I've come up with to date!]  
-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

This.  Thinking an IP address check is in order to see if this isn't some joker that didn't get the banhammer before.

Quoted:

I think he's on a SSSSSSSSSSSWNPSSS (Super Special Super Secret Squirrel Sortie Shooting Stupid Shitbirds Standing Still With Non-Painted Sniper Shooting Stick).  [<––Longest one I've come up with to date!]  
-SleeperShooter

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:20:41 PM EDT
[#48]
WTF OP?  You decide this thread is no longer worthy of your super sniper skills??  I'm heading to class and will be gone for a few hours, but I sincerely hope that you post something in here doing one of the following:
A)  Name the alleged sniper school so your claims in the OP can be checked out (in which case if you're telling the truth I'll buy you a Team membership for me being an asshat); or
B)  Admit you were full of something that stinks and that you were not completely honest in your first post; or
C)  Just forever be known as a liar (and trust me... ARFCom never forgets this shit!)..

You just logged in a while ago so I know you're still alive.  Man up or STFU and GTFO.
-SleeerShooter   ... and yes I'm serious about the Team thing.

ETA:   bebs1835: Member Information
(Expires Free Account)  

Usage Statistics
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Last Login Date: 9/7/2010 5:06:39 PM EDT
Last Post Date: 9/4/2010 3:30:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Hi, I am a LEO in PA. I just got accepted to go to sniper school and I have to paint my rifle before going into the school. I am looking for any advice such as links. I attempted to search this but it kept saying no matches found...Hmm.. I would rather keep it black, but the lsat guy they sent to school had to go to walmart and spray his gun in the parking lot before being allowed into class. I do not want to have to deal with that.

You don't have search capabilities.    As in you are not a team member so you lied about being able to use the search function.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

Quoted:

-SleeperShooter

OP's believability stock has tanked, but this is one hell of a great idea for a shoulder patch. Worn right under the Space Shuttle Door Gunner flash.....epic.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top