Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2009 10:39:13 AM EDT
I know that officially unemployment is less than 9% right now but it seems like there are a lot more folks out of work that really do want to be working.  I have a good job, very stable and I actually like it but I have solicited to move to another group with more opportunities and I think I am foing.

I just feel a bit odd about the whole thing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The liberal indoctrination of guilt is complete.

I say fo.

Think of it this way, you're not being promoted to a better job, you're vacating a position for someone else in need.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#2]
You should fo.

Nobody can blame you for having a job.  Hell, I'm sure anybody whos' unemployed here would encourage you to go.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#3]

We have towns around here where unemployment is is running 11.5 to 18%. Get over it, be thankful.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:45:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The liberal indoctrination of guilt is complete.

I say fo.

Think of it this way, you're not being promoted to a better job, you're vacating a position for someone else in need.

Oh, I am foing and the fact that I would be opening up a spot for someone else does make it easier to go too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#5]
The job you leave will provide a job for someone else.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#6]
It will be a cold day in hell when I feel guilty about having a job. I've worked hard for what I have.

That said, sometimes things don't go your way even when you have good skills.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#7]
The white/success guilt is strong with this one.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The job you leave will provide a job for someone else.

It may or may not, either way that should not impact his decision one bit. His primary concern should be what is best and most secure for him and his family.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/05/24/darthvader_wideweb__470x365,0.jpg

It is really just superficial because I am always going to look out for me and mine.  It just feels weird to be in this position because usually I am on the other side.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I came back into the military at 39yo after being out for sixteen years. If I can do it, so too can most of our unemployed.

Seriously, if an able bodied person that is 18yo to 41yo can't find gainful employment, then have them contact an Army National Guard recruiter. There is a $20K sign on bonus, up to $60K if they go Active First.  That 20K is enough to to give most people a fresh start. There are other benefits and a deployment means that you come home with a year's salary, tax free, sitting in the bank.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/05/24/darthvader_wideweb__470x365,0.jpg

It is really just superficial because I am always going to look out for me and mine.  It just feels weird to be in this position because usually I am on the other side.

Similar thing happened to me about a month ago.  I left one job for another that pays almost twice as much and has much better benefits and I don’t feel a bit odd or weird about any of it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I kind of feel guilty for keeping my old job, just went to PT, when I got my new job back in November. The new job has decent pay and great benefits and I really don't NEED my old job, but it doesn't take much of my time and the money is good. I am going to keep it as long as I can.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Then buy food for the local food kitchen, or something to make yourself feel better... *shrug*

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Are they serious about wanting a job? We are hiring!  

http://www.nationalguard.com/  
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#15]

http://www.theclash.com/#/discography

darling, you gotta let me know,

should I stay or should I Fo?

If you say that you are mine,

I'll be there till the end of time.

So you gotta let me know,

Should I stay or should I Fo?

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I know that officially unemployment is less than 9% right now but it seems like there are a lot more folks out of work that really do want to be working.  I have a good job, very stable and I actually like it but I have solicited to move to another group with more opportunities and I think I am foing.

You need to snap outta that shit, right now!

These are the same feelings that cause people in America to back the President when he apologizes to the world about how bad we are.

These are the same feelings that cause people to want security before liberty...

Those feelings are UNAMERICAN!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't!

They're is  no reason you need to feel bad in this situation. If you feel the need to help others, donate some money, volunteer at a soup kitchen, donate things to good will, give canned food, or organize your own event.

You can't go through life feeling sorry for your own accomplishments.

Personally I found this a very good time to stock up on cheap shit that people are selling
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Are they serious about wanting a job? We are hiring!  

http://www.nationalguard.com/  

Is the 2K "Finders Fee" bonus still in effect if you get someone to enlist?

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't!

They're is  no reason you need to feel bad in this situation. If you feel the need to help others, donate some money, volunteer at a soup kitchen, donate things to good will, give canned food, or organize your own event.

You can't go through life feeling sorry for your own accomplishments.

Personally I found this a very good time to stock up on cheap shit that people are selling

ditto here!!! first off, why should you feel guilty you chose a profession that is still strong in this shitty economy? maybe everybody else that has a  job that is not secure should feel stupid for chosing their line of work!! and second, there's alot of rare stuff for sale do to this economy. also some good deals if you can find them. keep working with your head up, after all you made the right decision for you and your family and should never feel guilty about that!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You feel guilty?  Try my situation...  I am a consultant and I have been paid for the past 4 months do very very little.  I worked a contract for a large bank for 6 months before that so I am still paying my way from that contract as far as the company is concerned but it's nerve wracking as hell.  I keep waiting for something else to come in so I can do some traveling and earn my way but right now the next contract does not start until July so I will continue to get paid to sit at home.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#21]
An interesting post and I know where you are at.  My wife and I make well over $100k a year, we are both young and continue to fight our way up.  We are both always looking for a way to get ahead and have sacrificed a lot in the sake of career.  My wife is currently 2000 miles away on business and has been now for 3 weeks.  I've been Mr. Mom to two kids and it is a sacrifice we have to do for her to have some more upward mobility.  

Do not feel bad that you continue to push forward.  for those who are angry for being unemployed etc, what were you doing when times were good.  Were you working fulltime and getting multiple degrees or were you living the life and didn't seem to concerned that an entry level blue collar job just might not pay $20 bucks an hour forever.

Employment is more then out there, you just have to have the marketable skills to acquire one, the willingness to make some damn hard sacrifices (moving, starting back at the bottom, etc).  If you are not willing to make some damn hard sacrifices then life will always be a crap shoot and a hope that the next time the economy tanks that you might not get laid off.  

So stand tall and be proud of your successes.  And remember, lots of people makes a hell of a lot more money then you do (or I do).  
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Why feel odd?  Hell im unemployed and i say that if it is going to better you and your famliy then do it.  There is no reason to feel odd about protecting your family from what some are going thru.   If it makes you feel better you can send me 3 boxes of any brand .223 and i will forgive you.      plus there are a lot of unemployed will have the "Obama will help us so we dont need to doing anything to help ourselves" mentality and when i meet them i tell them to get fucked and explain to them they are the reason why he one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#23]
some folks give me crap about working in a ethanol plant.
i'd work in a crack or meth factory if it was legal.
So long as it pays the bills is all I care.
eta: the pay isn't great but it isn't hard work so long as the plant is running fine, however if the plant takes a shit
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#24]
i have no guilt.........with layoffs and or furloughs, if i go, i go. told them to furlough me for the summer, this way i can get some serious miles on the road glide
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#25]
The ones that really need to feel guilty are the ones making strangling capitalism to death, not you. It is their fault that this happened in the first place and their fault that they are creating policies to ensure that it keeps getting worse day after day.

The only reason you would need to feel guilty is if you didn't vote or if you voted for the asshat in the oval office right now, then it would be warranted.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Do it if you want to, don't if you don't feel secure.

Either way don't feel guilty.

In fact taking the job creates and open slot for somone else to take your old spot, so moving up is the best solution for everyone.

Isn't the free market great.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top