Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2002 4:33:29 PM EDT
and I can't seem to kill it.  I have tried the regular old mousetraps--nothing.  Sticky glue things--the mouse just craps on it.  How can I get rid of this SOB.   I'd use some .22 shotshells but I don't ever see him.  Help!
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Put the Victor traps along walls in the kitchen. Use peanut butter or cooked bacon as bait, dont use cheese.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
claymore and motion detector
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#4]
get a cat
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:41:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
shoot him with a shotgun.
View Quote

Yeah! Just put a glass to your ear and listen for the bastard crawling behind the walls, then pepper the area with a Benelli full of #6 shot!
Remember to unload quickly, since you don't want him scurrying out of the kill zone!  [shotgun]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a roller ball. Mine just sits on the desk all day.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I had 2 of them in my garage.  I could not get them with the old snap traps either.  The poision bait trays did the number though!  The down side to the bait trays however, is you don't know if they took the bait or not.....until you smell dead mice!
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Per Raven:
Put the Victor traps along walls in the kitchen. Use peanut butter or cooked bacon as bait, dont use cheese.
View Quote

Raven is on the mark.  Do not use cheese; more effective mouse baits are peanut butter and either cooked bacon or lunch/deli meats.  When I was a kid they got into my parent's garage all the time.  I would rub the wooden base of the trap with a piece of sliced ham or salami, then put peanut butter on the bait pedal.  Sometimes I'd leave chunks of the meat here and there around the trap.  It got so they were used to traps on the floor and avoided them regardless of the bait, so I hung them from strings here and there so that they were more or less upright and about 1/2" off the floor.  

The trap bails were snappin' once more!

Noah

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:51:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Call the ATF, they'll flush him out one way or another.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#10]
a cat or a jack russel terrier would work great. id also second the suggestion of using peanut butter on a snap trap placed along the wall. mice dont see very well and use their whiskers to guide along walls.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#11]
When I go to live in someone's attic or basement, I always put out sign to explain the noises and so they won't figure it out.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Yup, the mice can get tricky.  We've tried all methods.  Traps (old fashion and the new plastic), sticky paper, and poison.

These are stuborn mice.  If it just 'craps' on the sticky trap, that mean they didn't get their full weight on it.  Put some cheese or what on the sticky trap.  That'll lure them in.  Worked for 3 mice...4th got away...., but left lots of hair!!!

Those new plastic traps, put peanut butter on the very back of the trip leverl.  Sometimes, they can lick the 'bait' off of the front, but if you put it on the back, it will be just enough to set it off...sometimes.

And lastly, look for holes.  Look under the sink where the pipes come through, near the door trim and near the pipe in the bathroom, the toilet water pipe.  Plug the holes w/ something, like expanding foam or what.

Cat, we can't get one since we have lots of dogs and we don't keep them inside (and I'm alergic to cats)
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Figure out where the mices' nest is (somewhere warm, dark, insulated) and their food source. Think like a mouse.  Then put food-baited snap traps along that line.

My house had squirrels nesting in the space between my room's ceiling and attic. I could hear them scrambling at night. Got a ladder, found their access hole and put baited rat traps on the beeline between the hole and the nearest spruce tree.  No more squirrels.  Rodents aint that smart.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#15]
M-203...then go with the claymores
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Do a search under "rodent claymore"

Not that [b]I[/b] had anything to do with it[:D]

Tango7
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#18]
If you have traps that are not sprung but the bait is gone,its because you are using peanut butter!    Take a piece of bratwourst or balongnia and force it into the bait groove,let it dry or harden some where out of harmes way cabbinet or such overnight.

It will be hard and they can't tounge it off,will have to agressively chew it and bamb!

Dead meace everywhere.

Your welcome   Bob  [8D]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 2:54:22 AM EDT
[#19]
What better way to kill a mouse than with a mouse gun?
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 3:45:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I've had mice show up every so often and the glue traps have worked well.  Maybe the glue was old on the traps you tried and were not as tacky as they should have been?  I just put them along the edges of the walls and they seem to run into them pretty good.  

I think they see the glue traps and avoid them sometimes....smart little buggers.  I had a piece of cardboard that I leaned up against the wall with a glue trap laid inside it.  I think they saw it as good cover (like a tunnel) and I caught a few that way.  

Now how to kill them after you trap them in the glue traps?  I drowned one and that took too long and seemed a bit inhumane.  Now I just fold the trap in half and take them outside for a good square STOMP.  Oh by the way, you want to put the folded trap into an old plastic grocery bag before the stomp......otherwise you may need to do a little cleanup afterwards......trust me on that one!![xx(]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I really enjoy the war with humans!  Most are not very knowledgable about me so it is pretty easy to avoid being caught.  What I can't eat, I crap all over. That really pisses them off!  It's neat to watch them throw away their silly treasures after I nibble off acorner for my nest or piss all over it.  

I LOVE peanut butter or any smelly kind of meat.  Most dumb humans don't know that there is  skill involved in setting a trap.  There is a hair trigger setting that is (thankfully) difficult to achieve, making it easy to steal the bait.  Those awful sticky traps are for dummies that run before they look.  If they are in lighted area or one where we can get around them then we keep all our hair.  Glad those dumb humans don't know to set them behind things in dark areas that leave us no other route.  We love running in narrow corridors behind stuff so we are not seen.  

Poison - HA!  We eat a little then go laydown and see how our belly feels.  If we get sick, we don't eat more.  How dumb do you think WE are?  Now that slow acting De-Con is a bitch.  By the time we figure out we been had we are bleeding to death from all the leaks.  Like Ebola in those dumb humans.  In the end if they get us, we have time to crawl into the wall near there bed so they have to smell us as we rot away.  Serves them right!

Guns are no biggie as most humans are far too slow to track us.  They are also afraid of making us a new entry hole so they use really small guns.  Most often they miss and give up!

Huimans are entertaining.  They think they are hunters and are soooo bad.  Can't trap a little mouse.  Wonder how they think they will survive when their SHTF time comes?  Oh well, enough for humans 101 for now!  MM out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:15:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:19:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Let a bunch of snakes loose in the house. You'll probably have to end up buying some of those white mice and letting them loose once they take care of the ones already there though.

I'd probably use rattlesnakes or copperheads since they will kill mice the quickest.

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 6:23:59 AM EDT
[#24]
A couple of solutions that I have found that work very well.  

1. If using the standard mouse traps, chuck the peanut butter out the window.  I was constantly finding the trap licked clean and unsprung.  I tried every conceivable way of applying the peanut butter with no luck.  The dang mousies were to the point of leaving me notes asking for bread and jelly to go with the peanut butter.    Solution....chocolate chips.  Melt them a little and let them harden on the bait arm of the trap.  Used the same chip for 5 or 6 mousies.  

2.   In the garage:  Take a five gallon bucket, throw a handfull of sunflower seed in the bottom, take a piece of 1x4 or any piece of wood to make a little ramp up to the top lip of the bucket.  Place some sunflower seeds on it as well.   The mice go for the seeds in the bucket but cannot climb out due to the sheer sides.   I have caught as many as 3 mice in the same bucket.   (I have heard that using this outdoors and filling the bucket with 3" of water is effective for chipmunks as they can't climb out and drown.

If these ideas don't work, search the previous threads for the guy with all the feral cats.  I am sure he'd be glad to loan you a couple.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I really enjoy the war with humans!  Most are not very knowledgable about me so it is pretty easy to avoid being caught.  What I can't eat, I crap all over. That really pisses them off!  It's neat to watch them throw away their silly treasures after I nibble off acorner for my nest or piss all over it.  

I LOVE peanut butter or any smelly kind of meat.  Most dumb humans don't know that there is  skill involved in setting a trap.  There is a hair trigger setting that is (thankfully) difficult to achieve, making it easy to steal the bait.  Those awful sticky traps are for dummies that run before they look.  If they are in lighted area or one where we can get around them then we keep all our hair.  Glad those dumb humans don't know to set them behind things in dark areas that leave us no other route.  We love running in narrow corridors behind stuff so we are not seen.  

Poison - HA!  We eat a little then go laydown and see how our belly feels.  If we get sick, we don't eat more.  How dumb do you think WE are?  Now that slow acting De-Con is a bitch.  By the time we figure out we been had we are bleeding to death from all the leaks.  Like Ebola in those dumb humans.  In the end if they get us, we have time to crawl into the wall near there bed so they have to smell us as we rot away.  Serves them right!

Guns are no biggie as most humans are far too slow to track us.  They are also afraid of making us a new entry hole so they use really small guns.  Most often they miss and give up!

Huimans are entertaining.  They think they are hunters and are soooo bad.  Can't trap a little mouse.  Wonder how they think they will survive when their SHTF time comes?  Oh well, enough for humans 101 for now!  MM out.
View Quote

ROFLMAO!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#26]
the bucket idea works...

We used to keep our dog food outside in a tall 55 gal. trash can (plastic), and found lots of the little buggers in there (don't have a clue how they got in).  After vacations we even found them to be cannibals (like 3 live 2 skeletons).

good luck
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#27]
When all else fail.....Use nuke.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/AR%5FRifle%2FAmushroom%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#28]
OMFreakingG this is to good to be true a topic on what I hunted last night. I shot 2 mouse in the head with a pellet gun. Still one to go. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Are you allergice to Ferrets?  I swear to God, having a ferret in the house (even in a cage) will ensure you never have a rodent problem.  The smell (even from de-scented ones) will drive away all rodents.  They are terrified of ferrets.

Plus those damn little fuzzballs are so cute - and they'll whoop up on your dogs, too :)
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#30]
[b][u]A[/b][/u] Ferret?

Oh darn, should have stopped 9 ago.

They F*ck with the cats something fierce, too! And they're so cuddly (when they're asleep).

Tango7 (Chock full o'ferrets)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top