Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2013 9:31:42 PM EDT
Finally broke down and got a smartphone about a year ago. Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G.

Yesterday it wigged out and spent the whole day constantly resetting itself. Pulled the battery, tried to get to the hard boot menu and clear cache, went to Tmobile today and was told all they would do is a factory reset and I would lose all my contacts that were saved to the phone. Figured I would bring it home to try and save them. No beans. Tried every solution I could find after over ten hours of google searching and reading forum posts. Finally did the factory reset.

POS phone did the reset, and then IMMEDIATELY started wigging out again.

Having a smartphone is somewhat necessary at my job (which I think is stupid, but they pay the bills).

From what I can deduce from folks that can't get this problem fixed, I basically have to buy a new phone (out of warranty now). Don't have 300+ bucks to spend on a new one. I have that handset protection thingy or whatever but it covers absolutely shit apparently.

My last phone lasted me two years, and then I gave it to the s/o, and it is still kicking.

Fuck. Technology.

Just had to rant. CSB.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
iPhone wouldn't leave you hangin.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I was just looking at the prices on the Iphones now that Tmobile has them. Fuck that at full price.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Google/Android with a Gmail account and "Sync = ON"

My last phone took a shit, tried factory reset and everything. Toast. typed my Gmail account onto my new phone and it even uploaded my fucking background image

Did lose my texts and pictures, but all images were backed up onto computer, and I think you can choose to back that stuff up as well.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Google/Android with a Gmail account and "Sync = ON"

My last phone took a shit, tried factory reset and everything. Toast. typed my Gmail account onto my new phone and it even uploaded my fucking background image

Did lose my texts and pictures, but all images were backed up onto computer, and I think you can choose to back that stuff up as well.
View Quote

this is correct and get a good phone next time

Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:35:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

My I phone 4 is 2 years old and it has been the best phone I have ever owned.
Never any problems and it still holds a good charge. Wife's Droid has been replaced 3 times and it is still junk.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 10:55:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Finally broke down and got a smartphone about a year ago. Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G.

Yesterday it wigged out and spent the whole day constantly resetting itself. Pulled the battery, tried to get to the hard boot menu and clear cache, went to Tmobile today and was told all they would do is a factory reset and I would lose all my contacts that were saved to the phone. Figured I would bring it home to try and save them. No beans. Tried every solution I could find after over ten hours of google searching and reading forum posts. Finally did the factory reset.

POS phone did the reset, and then IMMEDIATELY started wigging out again.

Having a smartphone is somewhat necessary at my job (which I think is stupid, but they pay the bills).

From what I can deduce from folks that can't get this problem fixed, I basically have to buy a new phone (out of warranty now). Don't have 300+ bucks to spend on a new one. I have that handset protection thingy or whatever but it covers absolutely shit apparently.

My last phone lasted me two years, and then I gave it to the s/o, and it is still kicking.

Fuck. Technology.

Just had to rant. CSB.
View Quote

Don't buy shit technology.

Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I was just looking at the prices on the Iphones now that Tmobile has them. Fuck that at full price.
View Quote

Do you even understand how cell phone contract subsidies work?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:02:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.

Never any problems and it still holds a good charge. Wife's Droid has been replaced 3 times and it is still junk.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Android OS's take more to learn and operate correctly

just the way it is

want simple and pretty? Apple works
want options? Android

I prefer Android - which droids did your wife get? I had the original "Droid" and it was a good phone - every phone after that up to the Razr was, for the most part, trash.... moto razr was decent but short battery life...

Razr maxx HD is probably one of the best phones on the market

I had a thunderbolt (HTC) and it was horrible

that's the deal with android - gotta do some research before you buy and the guys pitching the phones usually don't know jack shit
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

just the way it is

want options? Android

I prefer Android - which droids did your wife get? I had the original "Droid" and it was a good phone - every phone after that up to the Razr was, for the most part, trash.... moto razr was decent but short battery life...

that's the deal with android - gotta do some research before you buy and the guys pitching the phones usually don't know jack shit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

just the way it is

want options? Android

This.

First Android I bought was shit. Can't remember what it was. (Samsung something)

I've had 2 HTC phones and both have worked well. I'm on the 3D EVO right now. I'd love to get a Samsung S4 come September.
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
i think a big part of dealing successfully with technology is choosing the right tech for yourself.  very often, people want the biggest list of features, and let other people make the decisions for them.  "this is what you want", and "that's not powerful/cool/nifty enough".  

i've been told that a rooted android will allow someone to admin a commercial IT system right from their phone.  i guess that's great if you're an IT guy who needs to do that stuff on his daily commute, but i don't.  i don't need to glorify the hardware or manipulate the software.  i just need a phone that calls other phones, sends text messages, and accesses web pages.  if it plays music and i can change the background picture, great.

thus, the iphone is perfect for me.  zero downtime.  zero freezes.  zero crashes.  the reliability was sufficient that i moved whole-hog into the apple ecosystem.  and while nothing is perfect, overall it has turned out great.

i learned this a long time ago with cameras--don't shop based on feature lists and raw specs.  accurately determine your needs, and then start looking for the device that best suits them.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 11:44:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

just the way it is

want options? Android

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

just the way it is

want options? Android

Wife has a Droid 2 by Motorola....junk X 10
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:12:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:33:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Wife has a Droid 2 by Motorola....junk X 10
View Quote

I agree

what carrier? Look at some of the newer options (Moto Razr type, GS4 (even the 3 is decent) or the Nexus)

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#13]
My iphone 4s has been awesome. I was told I wouls have all kinds of problems I never had.

I'm not a mac fan but I can't fault the phone. I don't even use it as a phone. I call it my pocket computer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 6:59:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bullshit!
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:14:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 7:25:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Posting "I hate technology" on an Internet website discussion board is pretty ironic.
View Quote

Yep.

My iPhones have been pretty good for me. Just don't let your wife put in the clothes washer on spin cycle.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:22:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I hate Apple.  I hate Macs.  I hate Steve Jobs and hope he died a painful gruesome cancerous death.

I struggled for the last several years with terrible, clunky, unuserfriendly Samsung Android phones that used to pocket dial every time it came into contact with anything.  Seriously, it fucking pocket dialed every fucking day.  I actually had to continuously carry it around in my hand or lay it down somewhere and take the chance of losing it.  Which I did frequently.  When it finally started to wig out permanently the only replacement I could get on my Verizon account without paying hundreds of dollars was an iPhone 4.  That's it, my life is ruined!  I'm doomed!  Well, I have no other choice because I can't afford $300 or $400 for a new phone, so I'll grit my teeth and spread my cheeks and suffer with this horrible thing.  My stomach churned at the thought of actually using an iPhone, even if it's free.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!  This is the best fucking phone I have ever fucking used in my entire fucking life!!  EVAR!!!  The messaging is easy, the contacts are easy to navigate, the built in GPS works better than my $400 Garmin!  And it never pocket dials. Plus it works as a mobile hotspot so I can take my nice, big laptop and use it anywhere without worrying about packet sniffers, ARP cache poisoning, or wifi providers who like to filter ARF.com.  My life is so much easier and so much better since I got this iPhone.  The improvement is astonishing.  I resisted for years.  I was stupid.  This phone is great.  Now I'm seriously thinking of paying several hundred dollars out of pocket for an iPhone 5 just so I can get a little bigger screen and talk to Siri.

OP, seriously, dump the Samsung and get an iPhone.  You'll thank me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Posting "I hate technology" on an Internet website discussion board is pretty ironic.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I hate Apple.  I hate Macs.  I hate Steve Jobs and hope he died a painful gruesome cancerous death.

I struggled for the last several years with terrible, clunky, unuserfriendly Samsung Android phones that used to pocket dial every time it came into contact with anything.  Seriously, it fucking pocket dialed every fucking day.  I actually had to continuously carry it around in my hand or lay it down somewhere and take the chance of losing it.  Which I did frequently.  When it finally started to wig out permanently the only replacement I could get on my Verizon account without paying hundreds of dollars was an iPhone 4.  That's it, my life is ruined!  I'm doomed!  Well, I have no other choice because I can't afford $300 or $400 for a new phone, so I'll grit my teeth and spread my cheeks and suffer with this horrible thing.  My stomach churned at the thought of actually using an iPhone, even if it's free.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!  This is the best fucking phone I have ever fucking used in my entire fucking life!!  EVAR!!!  The messaging is easy, the contacts are easy to navigate, the built in GPS works better than my $400 Garmin!  And it never pocket dials. Plus it works as a mobile hotspot so I can take my nice, big laptop and use it anywhere without worrying about packet sniffers, ARP cache poisoning, or wifi providers who like to filter ARF.com.  My life is so much easier and so much better since I got this iPhone.  The improvement is astonishing.  I resisted for years.  I was stupid.  This phone is great.  Now I'm seriously thinking of paying several hundred for an iPhone 5 so I can get a little bigger screen and talk to Siri.

OP, seriously, dump the Samsung and get an iPhone.  You'll thank me.
View Quote

ok you suck at tech

that's cool.... some people don't have time or don't care - or just want an easy phone.......

glad you like it - they (iphones) are decent enough phones - I like more customization than they offer and hate that I'm tied to itunes... I have a touch and the wife has a work ipad

Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

My 3G was replaced under warranty once because it started shorting out at random.  The replacement lasted until the warranty expired, and then started having an odd issue where the touchscreen functionality would just cut out when the phone got too warm.  "Too warm" was about 80 fucking degrees.

Shit breaks.  Complicated shit breaks more.
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:30:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My 3G was replaced under warranty once because it started shorting out at random.  The replacement lasted until the warranty expired, and then started having an odd issue where the touchscreen functionality would just cut out when the phone got too warm.  "Too warm" was about 80 fucking degrees.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

some of the most truth I've read on this site
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True wisdom.

OP, instead of spending time posting fuck this and fuck that, just go get a new phone. Any phone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top