Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There were white slaves too in the South.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Happy they lost, I might be a slave.

#NorthernValues

And in the north, my ancestors were part of them.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Blind you are.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those unknown soldiers fought for a cause.  Their deaths and burials are forever tied to that cause.

In any case, whatever grievances you have against the government today are nothing compared to the plight of chattel slaves.  (Unless you somehow saw your children taken from you by a master and sold...oh, and your wife.)

Sine you cannot see the parallels to what is happening today you are blind and have proven it. The only
difference is the .GOV owns the chattel now.

and these men do not deserve your bashing and neither do those of any side.

They deserve our respect.

Please explain what "parallels" are happening today.

And please explain how ".GOV" slavery today is comparable to the institutionalized system of race-based slavery pre-1865.

Finally, please explain why Confederates deserve respect?  If you want to respect them, that's fine.  But why must anyone else?

Blind you are.

I am asking you to enlighten me.  Put some coherent thoughts together and explain your statements (if you can).
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#NorthernValues

Please explain which people you are talking about.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am asking you to enlighten me.  Put some coherent thoughts together and explain your statements (if you can).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those unknown soldiers fought for a cause.  Their deaths and burials are forever tied to that cause.

In any case, whatever grievances you have against the government today are nothing compared to the plight of chattel slaves.  (Unless you somehow saw your children taken from you by a master and sold...oh, and your wife.)

Sine you cannot see the parallels to what is happening today you are blind and have proven it. The only

difference is the .GOV owns the chattel now.

and these men do not deserve your bashing and neither do those of any side.

They deserve our respect.

And please explain how ".GOV" slavery today is comparable to the institutionalized system of race-based slavery pre-1865.

Finally, please explain why Confederates deserve respect?  If you want to respect them, that's fine.  But why must anyone else?

Blind you are.

Obtuse you are and ignorant to boot,

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

Is this the thread where we post random hypotheticals in hopes to derail things? I guess it is. In before someone claiming reparations must be made.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blind you are.

As I expected, you can't.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blind you are.

I can but you should know. I am not going to educate you since it is common sense

and I have learned that people that have no common sense are not easy to educate and

I don't work for free.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Josey Wales -  I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

I'll add that sadly we are still wiping up the blood today.

Also many of these soldiers on both sides marched into battle with far less knowledge of the war than we possess today.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can but you should know. I am not going to educate you since it is common sense
and I have learned that people that have no common sense are not easy to educate and
I don't work for free.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't work for free.

Make any excuse you want, but the fact of the matter is that I asked you to clarify your statements and you replied with insults instead of clear, coherent explanations.  (Many people here would call that quite "liberal.")

So, the questions stand:

What "parallels" are happening today?

How is modern ".GOV" activity equivalent to race-based chattel slavery of the 19th century?

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Make any excuse you want, but the fact of the matter is that I asked you to clarify your statements and you replied with insults instead of clear, coherent explanations.  (Many people here would call that quite "liberal.")

So, the questions stand:

How is modern ".GOV" activity equivalent to race-based chattel slavery of the 19th century?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't work for free.

So, the questions stand:

You claim to be a Doc and do not know that answer. You are a fraud and ignorant to boot.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#11]
My Great(x3) killed your Great(x3) Grandpa thread.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Enjoy your Union victory. Especially the New York and Massachusetts guns laws that go with it.
View Quote

They got the idea from southern Democrats.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#13]
From a Yankee : Cool pics op. Always neat to see the old cemeteries , and imagine the lives those brave men might have led, whomever they fight for .

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Salute my countrymen.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Ok I'll be the first... Heros. May they RIP.
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#16]

You do realize when Lincoln made the 'Emancipation Proclamation' that it only freed the slaves in the southern states that were 'in a state of rebellion'.  This was basically an executive order that only applied to some of the people.  Kind of like FBHO declaring gay marriage legal in states that voted Republican in the last election.  Totally illegal in so many ways, but cheered by the population that it did not effect.

View Quote

and then 6 months later the 13th amendment freeing all slave , most of the north was already free .....so
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Salute my countrymen.

View Quote

Same here, they fought bravely and gave their all.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you vote Democrat, you are a slave.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You claim to be a Doc and do not know that answer. You are a fraud and ignorant to boot.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't work for free.

So, the questions stand:

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Not every Confederate soldier was a rabid slave owner.  Many believed they were fighting for their families, their local communities, their states, etc...  Some were conscripted.  The soldiers job is not to reason why... but to do or die.

The men buried in those graves paid the ultimate price.  They gave all they had.  They should be allowed to rest in peace, and not be second guessed by a bunch of people that never walked in their shoes.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So, the questions stand:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't work for free.

So, the questions stand:

Parallels, think (research) about history since written time (google history of human slavery), then go through your house right now and start looking at all your "made in" tags.  Do some research on what laborers in 3rd world and over populated countries are paid.  You don't call that slave labor because it benefits you.  Yet you want to bitch and moan about the those who needed cheap labor, bought that from a merchant that bought them from Africans that captured other losers of battle Africans.   The north didn't turn loose of them till they got industrialized enough to not need them.  The north then started playing games with tariffs, taxes and votes because the south was trading heavenly with europe.  

Quit crying about things you are ignorant of and show some respect for fallen solders.  

Cool pics OP, made me feel sad and wonder about all their lives.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

No man should be a slave but, we traded states rights for slave liberation in that war. I'm still not sure if we got a good deal or not.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:25:52 PM EDT
[#24]
[b]

View Quote

Pssst, Farakhan, I believe he's talking about having 50% of your earnings confiscated uner threat of imprisonment.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

#NorthernValues
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#NorthernValues

Not really....
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Pssst, Farakhan, I believe he's talking about having 50% of your earnings confiscated uner threat of imprisonment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]

Eh, if you just mooch off of the taxpayer, you don't have to give the IRS anything.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Sad that threads like this devolve into this idiotic bullshit.

Anyways, may these brave men RIP.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Cool (and somber) pics OP, if I ever make it to that part of the country I will be sure and visit that site.  Our history is very fascinating, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#29]
What brought you to Stone Mountain OP?
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Just wait till BLM finds out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
[b]

I was thinking more like the many generations of families who have known nothing but living in .gov subsidized housing, eating .gov subsidized food, talking on a .gov subsidized phone, driving a .gov subsidized car, popping out .gov subsidized babies, and having .gov subsidized health care. They know nothing except what someone else gives them and EXPECT those items to be given.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Ok I'll be the first... Heros. May they RIP.
View Quote

This. 150 years ago, men on both sides acted on their beliefs, and walked through the fire.

Nothing more need be said.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Thank you !!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

C.S.A.  =    Confederate States of America ! ! !  

. . . morans . . .

Thank you !!!

Hmmm....Wiki seems to differ
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 11:50:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Parallels, think (research) about history since written time (google history of human slavery), then go through your house right now and start looking at all your "made in" tags.  Do some research on what laborers in 3rd world and over populated countries are paid.  You don't call that slave labor because it benefits you.  Yet you want to bitch and moan about the those who needed cheap labor, bought that from a merchant that bought them from Africans that captured other losers of battle Africans.   The north didn't turn loose of them till they got industrialized enough to not need them.  The north then started playing games with tariffs, taxes and votes because the south was trading heavenly with europe.  

Quit crying about things you are ignorant of and show some respect for fallen solders.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't work for free.

So, the questions stand:

Exploitation of workers for labor, worldwide, has not ceased.  But I believe that Banditman was suggesting that there are parallels between the oppression during slaveowning society of the mid-nineteenth century and threats to liberty within the modern U.S.

Second, most northern states abolished slavery (or never had slavery) well before industrialization made the practice unprofitable.  The first laws against slavery within the states began during the Revolutionary period.  Vermont's constitution outlawed slavery in 1777; Pennsylvania instituted gradual emancipation in 1780; and by 1804 almost every northern state had passed some restriction or ban against the practice.  Before 1854, northern states in the west were formed out of territories that were off limits to slavery (beginning in 1787 with the Northwest Ordinance).  Those steps were not taken due to industrialization, but a principled turn against slavery.

Next, what "games" did northern states "play" in regards to tariffs and taxes?  There are a great number of myths floating around today regarding the sectional conflict and tariffs, and most people have little knowledge of actual 19th century tariff laws and practices, or how the political debate over tariffs carried out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Not every Confederate soldier was a rabid slave owner.  Many believed they were fighting for their families, their local communities, their states, etc...  Some were conscripted.  The soldiers job is not to reason why... but to do or die.

The men buried in those graves paid the ultimate price.  They gave all they had.  They should be allowed to rest in peace, and not be second guessed by a bunch of people that never walked in their shoes.  
View Quote

Well said.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Book Review: White Pennsylvania Runaways, 1720-1749

Little-known fact: in colonial America, indentured whites, comprised
of convicts, vagabonds, exiles, redemptioners, the kidnapped, runaways,
and the willing servants hoping for a better life by serving out a
period of servitude being purchased by colonial masters than by
remaining in their traditional European societies, preceded and exceeded
the black slavery population in all the colonies up until the American
Revolution.

For some, the risks were rewarded: one in ten took up land, and one in ten became artisans.

But for the other eight, the journey ended in death in servitude, a return to England, or life as a "poor white.”

http://blog.eogn.com/2016/03/24/book-review-white-pennsylvania-runaways-1720-1749/#more-12592

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:24:24 AM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You do realize .......

And away we go..................

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/superdavarfcom/417da427b6ddbfc8ff733f6579d68a98.gif

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Book Review: White Pennsylvania Runaways, 1720-1749

Little-known fact: in colonial America, indentured whites, comprised of convicts, vagabonds, exiles, redemptioners, the kidnapped, runaways, and the willing servants hoping for a better life by serving out a period of servitude being purchased by colonial masters than by remaining in their traditional European societies, preceded and exceeded the black slavery population in all the colonies up until the American Revolution.

For some, the risks were rewarded: one in ten took up land, and one in ten became artisans.

But for the other eight, the journey ended in death in servitude, a return to England, or life as a "poor white.”

http://blog.eogn.com/2016/03/24/book-review-white-pennsylvania-runaways-1720-1749/#more-12592

The fact is that Slavery is constant in the human condition. It has existed in virtually every place on the planet and is rampant today. IIRC, the are over 2,000,000 slaves currently in Africa and the ME.

What we have had in America, for about 60 years, is the industry of Slavery remberance.

This business is designed to generate wealth for a few select people such as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton and others. Those are the big names but there are literally 1000's more.....folks such as Obama when was a "community organizer" are all a critical component of the industry of former slaves. BLM also plays a part here.

The other, more important aspect, is the political. In this environment it's critical that there be a constant reminder of slavery and oppression.  This is critical in maintaining, nurturing and even growing a disaffected  and uninfranchised Black population so that they're in a constant state of burning anger and sometimes even rage. This guarantees that they vote for the "savior" which as of late is the Dem party.

So in the end Blacks, for the most part, are just useful to those that really pull the strings and truth be known those puppet masters are on both sides of the isle.

There are a couple truths....One is that Blacks being taken from Africa is the best thing that ever happened to them. Firstly it got them out of that Dante-esque shit hole and also emparted some Neanderthal genes by interbreeding. American Blacks are light years ahead of those poor fuckers in sub Saharan Africa.

The other truth is that by far the greatest crime against American Blacks isn't Slavery or Jim Crow.  The greatest crime perpetrated against them has been the industry of former slaves. This has kept them on the margins because successful Blacks usually don't vote Dem so it's critical that they be kept sub optimal.  I think President Johnson said it best.....
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Who's in the grave surrounded by the fence?
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Im ok with people being free no matter how it started. No one should be a slave.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#NorthernValues

Actually Im not white values. But hey, everyone sees things differently.

You do realize when Lincoln made the 'Emancipation Proclamation' that it only freed the slaves in the southern states that were 'in a state of rebellion'.  This was basically an executive order that only applied to some of the people.  Kind of like FBHO declaring gay marriage legal in states that voted Republican in the last election.  Totally illegal in so many ways, but cheered by the population that it did not effect.

Im ok with people being free no matter how it started. No one should be a slave.

The irony of the civil war is that the south was correct about state's rights but picked the worst wedge issue imaginable to push the matter.   Then lincoln used the most dubious method uet to "free" the slaves.    Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of people in the south never owned slaves but suffered for it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't work for free.

So, the questions stand:

There is no honor in dying for an evil lost cause. Chattel slavery is and was evil.

Chattel slavery and things very close to it exist today, as you rightly point out. They are still evil today. We should all question ourselves about our complicity in this evil because, as you point out, we readily turn a blind eye to it when it helps us out. Regardless, our failings today don't mean we should excuse those who failed in far greater ways yesterday. Two wrongs don't make a right and all.

The Civil War was about slavery. As others in this thread have pointed out, slavery was already doing a slow bleed when the southern states seceded due to technology, immigration, and westward expansion. By the time of the Civil War, plantation slavery wasn't nearly as profitable as it once was. Slavery would have died out in the South of its own accord in time. And, yes, the free states were putting the squeeze on slavery in the south as their political clout increased. Why wouldn't they? They had no obligation to stand by and watch the South cling to slavery.

When the Southern states ratified the Constitution, they knew slavery would be eliminated in some way some day. They refused to participate in fashioning any kind of agreed-upon way to eliminate slavery. When new territories were going to be admitted into the union as free states, the death knell sounded. Secession followed. The South fired the first shots. The South then predictably got its ass handed to it. The premise of cession and Southern aggression was that Northerners were such pussies that they would let the South have its way once a few shots were fired. This is the same kind of communal delusion that got Germany and Japan destroyed in WWII. All three of these regimes were founded on racial superiority. All three were ground into the dirt.  

So, no. Marching off to die fighting for something that doesn't deserve being defended in a fit of communal delusion doesn't deserve honor in my book.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#42]
There are a   few civil war graves in an old grave yard near my house. the graves are marked with rough hewn sandstone. the names had eroded off before my dad was born. I think there are 3 of them. Wounded who died during the march after a battle and were left with the locals to be burried as their regiments marched south.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Shit show this has become.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#NorthernValues

I agree.  If these fallen soldiers had won, the US superpower wouldn't exist today.  The Pacific would still be called the Empire of Japan and the flag flying on the moon would probably be Russian.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

#NorthernValues

You do realize that's because outlawing slavery would require a constitutional amendment...which were actually passed after the war.  The slaves in the states in rebellion could be freed specifically because they were in a state of rebellion.  The revisionists keep overlooking the fact that the slaves were an economic resource to the south, not human beings.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The irony of the civil war is that the south was correct about state's rights but picked the worst wedge issue imaginable to push the matter.   Then lincoln used the most dubious method uet to "free" the slaves.    Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of people in the south never owned slaves but suffered for it.
View Quote

Not to mention, the vast majority of people in the North didn't care is the south had slaves or not.  They went apeshit on the south only after the south fired on Ft. Sumter.  Besides, the south invading neutral Kentucky to force it into the CSA proved the "states rights" propaganda was baloney right there.

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#47]
"When in the course of human events..."

Pffft.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Your citations aren't showing up. You must have been there, observing state's rights. .

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your citations aren't showing up. You must have been there, observing state's rights. .

you know, Google is your friend. But it's OK, i'll do the hard work for you:

" In a single stroke, it changed the federal legal status of more than 3 million enslaved persons in the designated areas of the South from "slave" to "free". It had the practical effect that as soon as a slave escaped the control of the Confederate government, by running away or through advances of federal troops, the slave became legally free. Eventually it reached and liberated all of the designated slaves. It was issued as a war measure during the American Civil War, directed to all of the areas in rebellion and all segments of the executive branch (including the Army and Navy) of the United States.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emancipation_Proclamation#cite_note-1][1][/url]

It proclaimed the freedom of slaves in ten states (excluding Tennessee).[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emancipation_Proclamation#cite_note-2][2][/url] Because it was issued under the President's war powers, it necessarily excluded areas not in rebellion - it applied to more than 3 million of the 4 million slaves at the time. "

Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Sorry Banditman.  Your post started fine.  One that we could reflect upon the sadness of men who died and never made it home to their families.

Sigh.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 11:16:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Respect. Many of my people fought for the cause and several made the ultimate sacrifice.  Some day the south will be free from the heel of the oppressors in Washington.  Deo Vindice.
View Quote

Your "cause" (and it was slavery, no matter how you choose to wrap it) was doomed from the very beginnings. What is truly sad is that some southern leaders knew it and furthered it anyways.

Those unknowns while they fought with seemingly noble intentions, were duped.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top