Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 6:16:58 AM EDT

So at exactly 3:00 a.m. the wife and I are sound asleep when I am awoken by a subtile crash in the basement below.  I laugh at what I presumed was our 15lb cat chasing bugs/mice/gremlins, until I felt him at our feet on the bed.  In a split second I was up with my XD9 in hand, creeping towards the door.  With senses at full alert, zero-to-adrenaline rush, my wife giving me the WTH, I ease around into the hall.  There, a lone figure in the dark stood in the middle of the hallway some five yards away.  I came about >this< close to wasting our vacuum cleaner.  

Upon further lecturing, the wife will remember to put the vacuum cleaner up before bed when she's done with it, unless she wants to have to buy another.  

ETA:  Oh - and the crash was a board that had fallen over where I'd misaligned it on the basement wall.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#1]
 I almost drew down on a bunny that jumped in front of me while walking through the woods the other day.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Bump in the night- Check
Gun in hand- Check
Flashlight- Um where wasthe flashlight?

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:20:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I was hoping for pics of the wasted vacuum cleaner.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:20:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Bump in the night- Check
Gun in hand- Check

Yeah yeah, I fully expect to get chastized for that
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bump in the night- Check
Gun in hand- Check

Yeah yeah, I fully expect to get chastized for that

Simple - he had NVG - RIGHT?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:35:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Let's, you and I, not go on any road trips together.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:46:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Doesn't count unless you wasted it.  Now that would be a thread.Saw a guy on drugs get in a fight with a fire hydrant one time.  Lesson learned, firehydrants kick ass.

So true.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:37:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I was laughing even before I opened the thread...thats funny.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Every now and then something goes bump in the night.

We have a 4 legged early warning system that is very protective and will let us know right now if something needs our attention. If she goes ape and barks like mad, I investigate with Ruger in hand. If the dog doesn't go ape, I tend not to pay too much attention.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I came home very late after a business trip. When I open the door, it's pitch black in the house. I look down though and see two red lights glowing about a foot off the ground and about twenty feet away.

I'm thinking WTF?

Then the "eyes" start running straight towards me!

I flick on the light only to see Jake, my labrador retriever with my daughters tennis shoe in his mouth with the LED's in the heel!

Ed
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Did you do the neccessary Ninja Roll? Where were your NVG? If no roll, did you at least rapell from the ceiling? It's good you were alert enough to be stirred by the noise. It kills me how man people sleep with their gun nearby, but wouldn't wake up to the sound of a marching band! So, again, kudos on being alert, and double kudos for not shooting the Hoover. The wife would be pissed, and the cost to replace it would have killed your ammo fund.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#13]
You let the hoover get the drop on you!

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#14]
jeez! i hope you don't have kids that need a glass of water in the middle of the night and drop the glass!

if you were about to waste a stationary vac, imagine what you would have done with a moving human shaped shadow!

buy a flashlight dude!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Doesn't count unless you wasted it.  Now that would be a thread.

Saw a guy on drugs get in a fight with a fire hydrant one time.  Lesson learned, firehydrants kick ass.

Yeah, they're not real aggressive, but they can take a punch.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't think I would admit that one to anyone.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Doesn't count unless you wasted it.  Now that would be a thread.

Saw a guy on drugs get in a fight with a fire hydrant one time.  Lesson learned, firehydrants kick ass.

There should be a whole section on Arfcom with pics and stories:  Household appliance o' Truth.

jim
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#18]

i've been debating on buying a flashlight for MY XD.   this has me sold for sure now.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#19]
That is a fat cat!

I once cleared my home when the alarm went off with a empty pistol.... My girlfriend at the time has unloaded it for a party she threw. Said it was because of the children coming over.... I asked if she was planning on letting them have the bedroom to play in?

I dumped her thirty days later when she demonstrated a pattern of iddicy just like that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Doesn't count unless you wasted it.  Now that would be a thread.Saw a guy on drugs get in a fight with a fire hydrant one time.  Lesson learned, firehydrants kick ass.

So true.

I remember a drunken high school campout party and watching the total dipship my favorite cousin was dating get into a fight with a pine tree.  

He ran up to it and gave it a flying kick about 4 feet up... the tree bent back, his foot sliped off, and the tree snapped in the opposite direction of his kick (i.e., towards him), with a particularly large and knotty branch mashing him right in the face.   Dude nearly put his eye out and was rolling around on the ground like a little baby.   Had it been a few years later, someone woudl surely have been taunting hime:  "You got knocked the FUCK out! "

Got damn, that was a nice memory to recollect!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#21]
those damn loud vacuum cleaners.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#22]
What was it carrying?

It could've HOSED you!

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Exactly why a Surefire sits right next to my bedside weapon.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I keep a BG 3 D delta target in my workroom. nothing like seeing peoples reactions when they spot it. At a glance it looks just like a guy holding a uzi at waist level.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I came home very late after a business trip. When I open the door, it's pitch black in the house. I look down though and see two red lights glowing about a foot off the ground and about twenty feet away.

I'm thinking WTF?

Then the "eyes" start running straight towards me!

I flick on the light only to see Jake, my labrador retriever with my daughters tennis shoe in his mouth with the LED's in the heel!

Ed

I do believe I'd ruin my underwear.

Oh, and our vacuum cleaner has surprised the hell out of me a few times when I have gotten out of bed to take a piss.  I'd glance down the hallway and jump about 3 feet when I saw it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I keep a BG 3 D delta target in my workroom. nothing like seeing peoples reactions when they spot it. At a glance it looks just like a guy holding a uzi at waist level.

When I was in an apartment, I had a poster of an Alien (from the movie) on the inside of the entry doorway. The poster was of the Alien breaking through a door. Always freaked out folks when they left my place...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:17:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I was hoping for pics of the wasted vacuum cleaner.

Yeah, me too...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
 I almost drew down on a bunny that jumped in front of me while walking through the woods the other day.

Little bunny foo-foo, hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and :BANG:

No more little bunny foo-foo....

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:05:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
those damn loud vacuum cleaners.

for real.  I can't STAND the noise they make.  It's the weirdest thing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#30]
JUst like the end of The Unit, with the monkey that repeated a phrase in Arabic.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
That is a fat cat!

I once cleared my home when the alarm went off with a empty pistol.... My girlfriend at the time has unloaded it for a party she threw. Said it was because of the children coming over.... I asked if she was planning on letting them have the bedroom to play in?

I dumped her thirty days later when she demonstrated a pattern of iddicy just like that.

That's ok, honey...You've upgraded since then to Lioness with a CHL!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top