Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2016 3:08:53 AM EDT
Is from?

His name is Josh Sugarmann. (With two n's at the end)

He is the Executive Director of the Violence Policy Center (VPC).

Want to venture a guess as to what his "native hometown" is?

Now, what are the odds of that happening?

On another forum, there is a discussion about how to make USPSA competitions or gun competitions in general more mainstream, to get them on TV, and have bigger awards or pots for the winners to walk away with.  Back in 1994, this aired on ESPN:

It was a totally different time or political climate back then with the Waco thing happening  and the typical knee-jerk reaction was the 1994 AWB.  So I was trying to research when Bill Ruger got interviewed on TV saying that "no honest man needs more than 10 rounds."  So that is what got me to Josh Sugarmann's name.  He has been anti-gun strategizing since at least 1988.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
What a dick.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:27:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What a dick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What a dick.

Yeah, no doubt.

Here is the little blurb I read about Sugarmann:

This terrible event, seized upon by national broadcast and print media, played right into a scenario envisioned by anti-gun wunderkind Josh Sugarmann and privately circulated in September 1988, so the antigunners were thoroughly prepared to launch a well-coordinated propaganda campaign designed to confuse the general population and to fractionalize the firearms community … the operative phrase being "assault rifle."

Assault weapons – just like armor-piercing bullets, machine guns, and plastic firearms – are a new topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons – anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun – can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons. In addition, few people can envision a practical use for these weapons.2

Gun people, and the author was no exception, were immediately put on the defensive, and were kept busy lamely pointing out that Purdy didn't have an "assault rifle," which type of firearm had been tightly regulated since the National Firearms Act of 1934, but that he had a perfectly legal (in most jurisdictions) semi-automatic weapon.

Sugarmann had devised a scathingly brilliant strategy, for all any of us wound up doing was getting the mainstream media to adopt his term "assault weapon," while on 5 April 1989 White House spokesman Marvin Fitzwater, at the bidding of President Bush and "drug czar," William Bennett (brother of President Clinton's attorney during the Lewinski scandal), announced that the Treasury Department was "temporarily3" suspending further importation of certain semi-autos. And at the same time, a great many rank 'n' file gun owners began to rationalize that "Well, we really don't need those awful military-style assault weapons for hunting or target-shooting anyway4."

Read that section in red again.

That was in reference to the 1989 Stockton, California playground shooting.

Okay, now, read that red section again.

So Sugarmann had envisioned a scenario, then had written about it, and then got it distributed among other anti-gunners, and a situation just like it happened in 1989.

Here is the link where I got that blurb:

http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/papabill.html
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:34:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I give up

What was his hometown?
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:39:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I give up

What was his hometown?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 3:52:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I give up

What was his hometown?
View Quote

Newtown, CT.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 4:00:51 AM EDT
[#6]
thejewsdidthis.gif
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 4:17:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
thejewsdidthis.gif
View Quote

Is he Jewish?  What if he was Muslim?
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 4:24:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I give up

What was his hometown?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#9]
DING!  DING!  DING!

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

That is correct, Newtown, CT.

Forget transparent aluminum.  They need to figure out a way to alloy elastic with aluminum because my hat is way too fucking tight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 4:59:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Like Glenn Beck and many have pointed out these leftists have been at this a very long time.   That is a very interesting coincidence though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 5:16:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Like Glenn Beck and many have pointed out these leftists have been at this a very long time.   That is a very interesting coincidence though.
View Quote

<Commissioner Gordon>

"You're a detective now my son, you're not allowed to believe in coincidence anymore." 

</Commissioner Gordon>
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Bump for the day people.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Sugarmann was the face of national gun control in the 80s and 90s before James Brady took over that role
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think this thread will last long, even though it is interesting.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:48:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

So....what you're saying is, ___________________ ?

ETA:  What we all THINK you're saying....
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#17]
TAG for details
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bump.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Singlehandedly responsible for the term "assault weapon", which only came about because people got tired of hearing about handgun bans.  

"Although handguns claim more than 20,000 lives a year, the issue of handgun restriction consistently remains a non-issue with the vast majority of legislators, the press, and public. The reasons for this vary:....... handgun restriction is simply not viewed as a priority. Assault weapons—just like armor-piercing bullets, machine guns, and plastic firearms—are a new topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons—anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun—can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons. In addition, few people can envision a practical use for these weapons."
View Quote

Doesn't mean shit about Newtown though.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Liars gonna lie.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:06:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Sugarmann had an FFL in DC for quite sometime before the Heller decision.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only one for quite some time, if I recall correctly.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:17:47 PM EDT
[#23]

His long game with "assault weapons" was to set a precedent that could be used to go after other categories of guns.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I figured out a while ago that the antis sit around and "war game" different scenarios so they can be ready.

The pro gun side? <crickets>

We, as a community, need to do the same and have all our talking points ready to go.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

<Commissioner Gordon>

"You're a detective now my son, you're not allowed to believe in coincidence anymore." 

</Commissioner Gordon>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<Commissioner Gordon>

</Commissioner Gordon>

I find the Hebrew word for ''coincidence'' fascinating.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#26]

I appreciate why some are trying to remove the term assault rifle and replace it with modern sporting arm or whatever but it is fiction that it was invented by anti-gunners.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Bump.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bump.

Well, let me put it to you all this way...

Sometime also in the late 1980's or early 1990's, Tom Clancy met with the military Joint Chiefs of Staff for a brainstorming session.  During that meeting, Clancy propsed this idea of what if terrorists organized multiple jetliner hijackings simultaneously and then flew them into buildings like the World Trade Center.

The above meeting did actually take place because Clancy described it live on Fox news on say September 12th or 13th, 2001.

That in itself is not so odd because the man has a good imagination and this ability to fill in the blank spaces.

What would have really been freaking odd or coincidental is if Tom Clancy was actually inside one of the World Trade Center towers when it was struck by an airliner.  And instead of Clancy getting interviewed live on Fox on September 12th or 13th, we have Colin Powell telling us how he was at the Pentagon in 1991 with Clancy and the other Chiefs and Clancy floated this idea of hijacked airliners intentionally flown into skyscrapers, and we will mourn the loss of such a creative genius mind.

And before all the herp derp "fire can't melt steel" comments, I am only using 9/11 as an analogy.  About the next best thing I thought I could have used was Erin Brockovich's battle against a cancer causing gas plant putting hexavalent chromium into the ground water....only to find out years later that her own hometown is the site of the largest cancer cluster in recent history.

So, what I am getting at is that there appears to be a conspiracy at least between media outlets to propagandize such gun events. (Duh! No surprise there, right?)

Was Sugarmann's 1988 paper the original blue print for such media hype?

If so, where is it?

What does it say?

Can we see the same tactics in use today that were proscribed in 1988?

Have there been other such papers distributed since then?

If so, when was the last one put out?

What did it say?

How was it distributed?

Who was it distributed to?

Can any of the people in the distribution list be connected to Holder's DOJ and/or the Fast and Furious operation?

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<Commissioner Gordon>

</Commissioner Gordon>

That's like a trick question, sir.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<Commissioner Gordon>

</Commissioner Gordon>

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not "had", "has."

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/0216-ffl-list-district-columbiatxt/download
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#31]
The power of twisting and re-inventing words/phrases is lost on morons who buy this guy's bullshit. A lot like Bernout, pied pipers, door to door salesmen and the old stereotypical used car salesmen. Sad that there are so many morons who do not have the ability to use their own brains, especially when it comes to voting.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not "had", "has."

What in the blue fuck?

I don't understand why???
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The power of twisting and re-inventing words/phrases is lost on morons who buy this guy's bullshit. A lot like Bernout, pied pipers, door to door salesmen and the old stereotypical used car salesmen. Sad that there are so many morons who do not have the ability to use their own brains, especially when it comes to voting.
View Quote

I went through SERE.  The POW camp portion led me to believe that the human mind is a lot weaker than most people think.

I think people also underestimate the power of music to instill emotion, too.

Whether such a thing as "neural linguistics" exists and works is another topic entirely.  

(This is probably where I normally would insert Living Colour's Cult of Personality video)
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
What in the blue fuck?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not "had", "has."

What in the blue fuck?

Same reason Michael Moore has a Life membership in the NRA. Attack and change from within.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Same reason Michael Moore has a Life membership in the NRA. Attack and change from within.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not "had", "has."

What in the blue fuck?

Wanna bet Sugarmann owns stock in gun companies?

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
http://weaponsman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Assault-Weapons-1986-769x1024.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gvxtQwFV5uE/UDPNHSIRwcI/AAAAAAAABjU/0HfCj5O727k/s1600/Gun%2BDigest%2BBook%2Bof%2BAssault%2BWeapons.jpg
http://shfwire.com/sites/default/files/images/cominedGunsAmmo.png

I appreciate why some are trying to remove the term assault rifle and replace it with modern sporting arm or whatever but it is fiction that it was invented by anti-gunners.
View Quote

Wow.  I actually wondered for a minute if an anti-gunner published that first one.  That's almost every talking point, cliché, and catch phrase all in one picture.  All it needs is an article entitled "will my stray rounds penetrate ALL the way through the school or stop half way".  

Alright, fair enough- that should have read "Singlehandedly responsible for the strategic shift of legislative focus from handguns to 'assault weapons'."  Clearly the term evolved from the legitimate use of the term "assault rifles" to anything publishers wanted to hype on their magazine covers, which only a couple years later became "anything gun grabbers are afraid of".  

There's a good lesson in that.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:36:20 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

The term "Assault rifle" was I believe, invented by the Germans, "Sturmgewehr" and has a distinct and narrow meaning.

The term "Assault weapon" was invented by the antis and means anything they want it to mean on any given day.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

It is a good thing all those were printed 1986 and prior to 1986, when you could still buy new MG's /select fire weapons.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It is a good thing all those were printed 1986 and prior to 1986, when you could still buy new MG's /select fire weapons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://weaponsman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Assault-Weapons-1986-769x1024.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gvxtQwFV5uE/UDPNHSIRwcI/AAAAAAAABjU/0HfCj5O727k/s1600/Gun%2BDigest%2BBook%2Bof%2BAssault%2BWeapons.jpg
http://shfwire.com/sites/default/files/images/cominedGunsAmmo.png

Sure but look at the UZI and HK91 selectors,both are 2 position. The point is,calling semi auto clones of service weapons "assault rifles" was not invented by anti-gunners.

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Was it the NRA who first called some matches like the one at Camp Perry "hi powered rifle" matches?

It annoys the shit out of me when I hear some media talking head say, "he was shot with a high powered rifle."

What the fuck difference does it make?

.22LR or .308 Winchester.

Why not just say "he was shot with a center fire rifle"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top