Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2016 7:57:03 PM EDT
I have OSMC on a Raspberry Pi2. And have a "media" server that's on all the time..

What do you suggest?

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Your more advanced then we are. We just use a Roku box. It's myself, wife, and two kids (5 &2) and we get along fine without cable or satellite.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]
We dumped Dish and the home phone 7 years ago. Just have Netflix now. Also Prime a few things. My in-laws did the same and dumped Comcast. They stream everything now.  

TV will die as soon as they start streaming professional games. Everything will stream one day. Dish and Comcast boxes will be like rotary phones.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Chromecast, Netflix, youtube and a digital antenna.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Amazon firestick with prime, and netflix is an app on the firestick.  Averaged out over the year it costs me maybe 10 or 15 bucks a month?  And my local cable company wants 50 for just the basic package?  They need to catch up with the times because streaming is where it's at.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:11:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 computers with projectors attached. One in the bedroom and one in the living room. Ditched cable years ago. I have prime and YouTube fills my documentary fetish. Not bad having 120 inch screens and 3d in two rooms.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I bailed on Dish and our DSL provider. I'm sure the cable company knew exactly what I was doing when I opted for one of their highest internet packages and told them I wasn't interested in any television or phone plans they had.

All we have is Netflix, Hulu, and we use Amazon for some things. Couldn't be happier with the setup.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I did that gears ago. I barely even watch anything anymore.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:20:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Android box with Kodi app. I have this and I can watch any movie or TV show. I get to see movies DVD quality days after they leave the theather.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, tagish. Been trying to ditch cable.

From my Comcast bill 130$ a month goes to TV, myself and GF dont watch.  We stream everything with a chomecast/netflix.

I just need to figure out how to get HBO/Showtime and HGTV without cable.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I put an Xbox One in every room with a TV, the media player works great.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:28:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chromecast, Netflix, youtube and a digital antenna.
View Quote

This !!!!

It works for me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Plug-N-Play-Newest-FULLY-LOADED-Matricom-G-Box-Q2-Quad-Octo-Core-KODI-4K-/151500279003?hash=item23461eccdb:g:ClYAAOSwoBtW4K6h

If you have a good Internet connection this is what you need. Mine is awesome. I don't even use cable anymore.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Roku 1/Stick, Chromecast, SlingTV, Netflix, Hulu, youtube and a digital antenna.
View Quote

FIFY

Fuck cable
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Been there, done that.

Broadcast news is just entertainment, not news.  Who needs the headache and hypertension.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want the premium movie subscriptions, you can subscribe to them directly via streaming, at least some of them, anyway, even if you have no account with a cable or satellite tv provider.

I get by on netflix and amazon prime, plus most current TV shows are either viewable online for a week or more after their original broadcast, or show up on streaming sites elsewhere not long after that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Man, I need to get on this train.  It's just fucked how much we pay Comcast every month.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Roku 3 with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Video. We cancel Netflix and or Hulu when we're not using it
Digital antenna

Plex on my "media server" PC
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Man, I need to get on this train.  It's just fucked how much we pay Comcast every month.
View Quote

Toss me a pm I'll educate you on a streaming box.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Roku 3 with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Video. We cancel Netflix and or Hulu when we're not using itDigital antenna
View Quote

You're still paying to much. For $150 flat you can have every tv show and movie that's out. No monthly payments.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You're still paying to much. For $150 flat you can have every tv show and movie that's out. No monthly payments.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Roku 3 with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Video. We cancel Netflix and or Hulu when we're not using itDigital antenna

I'm interested in hearing about this wizardry....
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I linked one above. It's an eBay link. I bought my matricom gbox off eBay and it was preloaded. I can literally watch anything on it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Plug-N-Play-Newest-FULLY-LOADED-Matricom-G-Box-Q2-Quad-Octo-Core-KODI-4K-/151500279003?hash=item23461eccdb:g:ClYAAOSwoBtW4K6h

If you have a good Internet connection this is what you need. Mine is awesome. I don't even use cable anymore.
View Quote

Whats this wizardry?

please explain
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Android box with Kodi app. I have this and I can watch any movie or TV show. I get to see movies DVD quality days after they leave the theather.
View Quote

Can you explain how this works, where to acquire?  I'm technically challenged.
ETA : PM sent
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Whats this wizardry?

please explain
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whats this wizardry?

please explain

I plug in the humi, plug in the internet. I can then watch nearly anything. HBO shows, stars shows, etc etc. Game of thrones, walking dead, anything you can think of. I CANT say rough GOOD.HE things about it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I linked a "preloaded" version. If you know how to plug in an hdmi and an ether net cord you're good. As long as you have decent Internet you'll never regret it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's why I linked a "preloaded" version. If you know how to plug in an hdmi and an ether net cord you're good. As long as you have decent Internet you'll never regret it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a thread earlier about cutting the cable. Next thing I need is a multimedia type box that streams and I can input cable from a ota antenna. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Thank you
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you

I also bought a wireless keyboard. That made me love it even more. Other wise your clicking through a digital keyboard on screen. The wireless keyboard has paid dividends for only being $20
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#31]
As long as you keep a decent Internet connection you can cut cable easy. I've watched game of thrones, walking dead, breaking bad, anything you can think of guys. I watch movies before they make it to redbox.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Well I fo'd on the box and a wireless keyboard deal.

Switching to just internet Monday.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:54:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Make sure it's a matricom g box. I started with a knock off. It was alot slower, and I hated it. The g box was the best I could find. I've had 0 issues and the more I use it the better I get with it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Also at my house I run it on wireless. At my gf's it has to have a cord ran to it. Her internet is to slow but with a cord it's fine. As long as your net is good you're fine. If anyone buys one and needs a "mentor" I can toss you my number and walk you through it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#35]
ROKU and Sling TV. Check out slingtv.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:57:38 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
You can also install kodi on the fire stick remotely using your PC over wifi. Once I did that I installed exodus which is the newer version of genisys. Lots of content on there for streaming.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Make sure it's a matricom g box. I started with a knock off. It was alot slower, and I hated it. The g box was the best I could find. I've had 0 issues and the more I use it the better I get with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I grabbed the one in your link.

I have Comcast 50 up/5 down internet now and will try and stay on that with the G box plugged in to the modem.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Roku, and a antenna here
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I have Comcast 50 up/5 down internet now and will try and stay on that with the G box plugged in to the modem.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll be fine
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Something about that screams illegal but I'm no judge. How do you get access to "every TV show and movie" for $150 including the hardware?

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Something about that screams illegal but I'm no judge. How do you get access to "every TV show and movie" for $150 including the hardware?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was skeptical as well. I figured eh screw it $150. I would buy another tomorrow if mine quit working. It's better than cable, and cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Is there a need for a digital antenna if you have the Gbox you think Faon?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Ive got KODI on a firestick. If I didnt have a live in FIL who's Filipino and needs to have Tagalog TV I would be ditching ATT for good.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Yeah, tagish. Been trying to ditch cable.

From my Comcast bill 130$ a month goes to TV, myself and GF dont watch.  We stream everything with a chomecast/netflix.

I just need to figure out how to get HBO/Showtime and HGTV without cable.
View Quote

Roku has channels for both HBO and Showtime, $10-$15 a month each.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Is there a need for a digital antenna if you have the Gbox you think Faon?
View Quote

No way. 99% of the shows on the g box have commercials cut out for you also. You'll love it once you get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Tag.
I have comcast cheapest internet/tv package for $50 a month. What would cost change to with only internet?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBOnow and an antenna gets me almost everything I want to watch.

The things I'd miss with this setup:

AMC - Walking Dead & Better Call Saul.

ESPN - lots of college sports and MNF.

I actually went this route for quite a while then signed up for TV service again through DirecTV. That contract ends later this year and I doubt I will renew. I already cancelled HBO via DirecTV and went with HBOnow. Saved $2/month and no more authentication issues.

ETA - add Sling to the mix and you'd really have something - but the cost would be very close to what you'd pay for cable.

Netflix: $10/month

Amaxon Prime: $100/year, let's call it $8/month

HBOnow: $15/month

Sling: $20/month

That's over $50/month. I'm not sure you could get a cable/satellite package that included HBO for $53/month, but it might not be a lot more than that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Tag.
I have comcast cheapest internet/tv package for $50 a month. What would cost change to with only internet?
View Quote

With time Warner I pay about $50 for only net. I need it for school anyways though. I was paying about $120 for both
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBOnow and an antenna gets me almost everything I want to watch.

I actually went this route for quite a while then signed up for TV service again through DirecTV. That contract ends later this year and I doubt I will renew. I already cancelled HBO via DirecTV and went with HBOnow. Saved $2/month and no more authentication issues.
View Quote

Nobody reads my posts. Slingtv has espn 1 and 2, amc, tbs, tnt, cn, a bunch of shit, live for $20.00
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nobody reads my posts. Slingtv has espn 1 and 2, amc, tbs, tnt, cn, a bunch of shit, live for $20.00
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My option is still better than both.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top