Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2001 1:51:18 PM EDT
A friend of mine is a CLEO and is in a reserve ADA unit who gave me this. There is a bit more that i haven't posted. I get the feeling that a few folks are just a bit bitter.

[b]I am an army of one:[/b]

I am the 18-24y/o being targeted by this new marketing concept, the very embodiement of "whats in it for me." The legacy of the poitically correct years. It's OK to be immoral and a pervert, and if a warrior tries to mold me too vigorously into something that resembles a warrior that will protect and defend against enemies both foreign and domestic, I'll tell my congressperson! Besides, we never have any ammo to even qualify once a year with weapons that may or may not work.

Teamwork? My chain of command consists of Me, Myself and I. I'm destined to be a dot-com millionaire. Just give me all that college money, and take it easy on the discipline stuff. Don't even think about raising your voice to me. Love that "time out" command I can use anytime regardless of rank confronting me. And when divisions of Chinese are racing towards my outpost like rabid Lemmings, I'll pack my Task-Force-Smith smellin' behind back to Milaukee for some rap and tap beer.

Concepts like duty, honor, and country are passe'. If it involves sacrifice of my individuality to become part of a team, I'll punch out and spend the rest of my life hanging out with my Microsoft employee slacker buddies in Seattle, speaking in learned tones about an unforunate period in my life when I endured the indignities of military service. Oh, the PAtton movie? Haven't seen it. Go out for my wounded buddy? No way, I might get hurt. Attack a fortified position? Uh, uh! Let someone bomb it if they can hit it. Let the girls do it for a change.

Link Posted: 2/13/2001 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Another fine example of ...
[size=6]"THE CLINTON LEGACY"[/size=6]
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah. And he is real happy to be getting a beret too. [puke]
Link Posted: 2/13/2001 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
[:D]

I am starting to get tired of all the mailings the army has been sending now that they have changed their image.
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm getting sick of the @#$%$#%%#&^$%^&$%&$%^&$%^&%$ ARMY and I dont want to wear a %@#%%^* beret - what a bunch of sh#t. ETS. The best three letters in the alphabet
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The way I see it: Today's Army has enough "individuals" already (you know, the F-you, sir types). I dont get where they want to go with this "I am an Army of one" thing. It seems like they want to PROMOTE individualality.

Am I wrong?

Semper Fi (god help us if my beloved Corps changes that one...)
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Well the time out command sounds pretty useful, is it for real?
Link Posted: 2/14/2001 11:32:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I've heard about time-outs for recruits in various Basic training environments, as well as cards that can be held up that say basically the same thing.

Surprisingly, I found "an Army of One" mentioned in Daniel Da Cruz's "Boot" which was published all the way back in 1987. It was not used in a favorable context however.
In a passage talking about the Romans taking on the Germanic Barbarians (civilization-challenged) he mentions that the problem that the barbarians had was that they had too many leaders.  Each one was a leader, each "an army of one."

The slogan seems to run counter to the Army ideal.  More along the Air Force concept.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top