Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 6:47:33 AM EDT

One of their three dogs got out of the pen (again) and proceeded to attack 'at me' as I was trying to get out to my truck to leave for work.

If this dog would have really gotten ill and bit into my leg, what should I have done?  (I replayed this scenario in my head during my dash to work.  I suppose the right thing to do would have been to get the police involved for the report and all if that had happened.  The neighbors are too ignorant, and have had too many chances, to handle it otherwise.)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:48:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Bang.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:49:24 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of dog?  How big?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

mutt, medium sized dog.  Large enough to do some damage, in other words.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:52:39 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Why even ask?  

If he was held up would you ask how big the assailant's weapon was before suggesting defense?

If being attacked by an animal that has proven to be a nuisance, force is warrented.  How much just depends on how much of a threat you perceive.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bang.

and Bang again for good measure.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#7]
kick that fucker in the head!!!1
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like a good time to find out how effective that pepper spray is.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:56:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Depends.  Do you want the dog to die?...or just teach him a lesson?

If I wasn't truly in fear for my life, I would have reached for my Fox OC spray and let him have it.  I have a can in each of the family's vehicles.

Edited to add:

WayneD beat me to it.

WayneD, wow...41st post since Aug 2002.  Looks like someone here does actual work.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#10]
The standard response to yapping dogs is a handful of rocks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Looks like a good time to find out how effective that pepper spray is.

There ya go. Then you call the dog control people to seize the dog, the LEO folks to check the animals shot and licensing records and do the required bite report,and prep your neighbor for the lawsuit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#12]
No human should ever feel it necessary to let an animal attack them.  You're more important than an animal.  Period.  Don't let the members here that think that cops should allow animals to attack rather than kill them in self-defense skew your view.z
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#13]
A little prep work goes a long way in these situations.

My neighbor had to Rotty's that barked ferociously at me whenever I went in my backyard.
I always worried what would happen if they jumped my 4 foot fence.
So I befriended them with dog biscuits over a couple of weeks.
After that, whenever they saw me, they came up to the fence wagging their nubs, and stood up for me to pet them.
Right after that, my neighbor got rid of them.
Maybe I "ruined" their guard dogs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#14]
      I hate to say it but if you live in town don't shoot. I know a guy from my gun club that did...It was a good shoot to save a woman and her kid but still cost him 20,000 to get out of jail and keep his guns. I will say no dog that bites me has ever lived...One time it took me a year to get the SOB but it chased me just far enough away from houses to die from lead poisoning.
     I was a lot younger then, now I hope a little wiser. I know how much I love my dog so I wouldn’t shoot somebody else’s unless I had no choice. I still think any dog that bites should be put down even if it’s my dog .  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#15]
shoot, if not up to it, a string of firecrackers is always fun
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I carry a big can of pepper spray in the truck all the time, just spray him once in the face.
He won't forget  it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya right every thing is big on the internet. Every one is 6'10" and is hung like a mule..

I think the dog was more like this...

But will just say it was a pit bull jacked up on meth, just for sake of argument. And no hurt feelings..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bang.

and Bang again for good measure.

And finish it up with a anchor shot
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#19]
get doggie, remove head, have head mounted, have a nice vietnamese person cook a tastee dog dinner, mail the mounted head to the owner..

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Honestly, if its on your property and its coming after you or your family (pets included), animal control should side with you.  They did when a dog attacked our dogs on our property.  After two knocks to the head and a swift kick, the dog still was coming at them.  It took a bit, but we got the situation under control.  

Difference is, this dog was little.  If it was a bigger dog, you're damn right I'd do whatever it took to protect myself or my family.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Pepper spray--the gift that keeps on giving!*

I have a friend who breaks up her dogs when they're squabbling with a can of OC. A day later, when you pet the dog, all of a sudden your nose burns and your eyes water...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#22]

If the dog bites you and does some damage you can sue the owner and the landlord who allowed the dangerous dog to live on his property. Big bucks there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I certainly don't think shooting it in the face is out of line.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But will just say it was a pit bull jacked up on meth, just for sake of argument. And no hurt feelings..

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I shot my neighbors cat with an airsoft pistol when he kept getting in my garage.

He didn't like it and has never been back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top