Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 12:52:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Your forgiven
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#2]

I Was Wrong...

There are times when being wrong is all right.

I still believe there will be far worse legislation coming forth shortly that will become law, most of which, will pale in comparison to the AWB.

Cynical, perhaps, I think it is being more of a realist.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#3]
i know i'm doing my part to get as many of those eeeeeeeeeeeeevil black instruments of death on the streets and playgrounds of America as i can!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]
You were not alone in thinking this day wouldn't come. You are however the first to admit it here. I'm glad it is over, I knew this day would come.

YEAH BABY!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Who was the member here who met Dick Cheney at some political thing and asked about the AWB, and Cheney said "It's dead, don't worry."?

This was about a year ago.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I Was Wrong...

I still believe there will be far worse legislation coming forth shortly that will become law, most of which, will pale in comparison to the AWB.

I don't think so. AWB never even came close to making it through, why would some stricter law have a chance? Barring a massive liberal Democrat resurgence, I think gun control is dead.

It's time to start working on rolling back other laws. I don't think that'll be easy or anything, but at worst, we'll keep the antis too busy to push their own laws, and at best, we may get some of our rights back.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I Was Wrong...

I don't think so. AWB never even came close to making it through, why would some stricter law have a chance? Barring a massive liberal Democrat resurgence, I think gun control is dead.

It's time to start working on rolling back other laws. I don't think that'll be easy or anything, but at worst, we'll keep the antis too busy to push their own laws, and at best, we may get some of our rights back.

With your permission of course, I shall retain your quote for future reference?

I too, wish to be wrong on my statement above but, my many years upon this earth has made me very cynical when the keyword is 'government'.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I think there needs to be a LOT more apologies like this one from those who SWORE the ban would never go away... and even BLASTED those of us who had faith it would sunset.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I think there needs to be a LOT more apologies like this one from those who SWORE the ban would never go away... and even BLASTED those of us who had faith it would sunset.

yup!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
+1

Mea Culpa
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Speaking of the ban going away, remember who let it go away on election day. Vote Republican!

Quoted:
With your permission of course, I shall retain your quote for future reference?

I too, wish to be wrong on my statement above but, my many years upon this earth has made me very cynical when the keyword is 'government'.

You sure can. I probably haven't been on this Earth nearly as long as you, and almost the entire time I've had any interest in politics (only a few years) things have been looking pretty good for us. The media monopoly is on the way out, the Democratic party has lost the majority and shows no signs of getting it back, and we just might be able to get some decent SCOTUS justices on the bench.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I am not going to apoligize until tomorrow.

My wife says I am hard-headed. I prefer the term, distrustful of politicians.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks SteyrAUG.  I'm more of a "belt & suspenders" sort too.  I think almost all politicians are inclined to do whatever they think will get them votes so if mass-media continues to push and sheeple continue to "baaaaa" we'll need to continue to be active/aware.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I Was Wrong...

There will probably be little anti-gun legislation on the Federal level, but then on state-level, that will be horse of a different. Expect a heavy on-slaught of anti-gun legislation such as thumb prints for buying ammo, AWBs, etc especially in some of the more liberal states.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:22:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Takes a big man to admit he was wrong....99% of folks arent' that strong...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:32:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Folks, the Republicans bucked polls showing 68% of the public supported this ban (on par with the numbers who oppose gay marriage for a comparison) and they still worked hard to shut down the ban for us:

1) In March, they killed S.1805 rather than even take the chance a conference committee could not strip the language out before a final vote.

2) In July, Frist "filled the tree" on another bill to limit the depredations of trial lawyer. This procedure blocked the antis from attempting to amend this bill with the ban. Frist had never used this procedural manuever before.

3) In September with an incredible amount of media pounding and biased reports, Tom Delay and Bill Frist went on camera and said that even if the President DID ask, the bill was still dead.

Now, you can argue whether the Republicans did this out of the good of their hearts (doubtful) or because they thought the polls were wrong; but I can tell you this:

The Republican challengers for open seats are almost universally pro-gun, and not namby-pamby pro-gun but GOA rated at B or better in many cases. Two of them have already (DURING the campaign) announced support for a repeal of the 1934 NFA.

Gun owner have claimed responsiblity for turning the House over to the Republicans in 1994 and defeating Gore in 2000. The Republicans are now betting their political future on that theory. Come November, we really need to pull out the stops to deliver the votes for pro-gun candidates... not only will such an effort give us enough of an edge to have a solid pro-RKBA majority in the Senate and House; but it will send a message to the Republicans and Democrats both that supporting gun owners is the winning strategy.

On the other hand, if we fail to put our money where are mouths are in November, don't ever count on the Republicans bucking a 68% poll result to help us out again...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree with SS109.

I'll wait a couple of days yet...

And then, perhaps I'll be able to join SteyrAUG in saying, "I was wrong too."

I sure hope that I( was wrong.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Hey, it's still got about 4 1/2 hours left - ya' never know!

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Agreed! VOTE ACCORDINGLY this November!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I can honestly say I was always cautiously optimistic.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I felt that it was too much to hope for, and even attempted to buy a last ditch preban Colt lower.

I was never able to afford a preban AR, but yo can bet that I will fid a way now.  

ETA: To the guy that wouldn't come down $100 on a $900 Colt lower, and told me I would be sorry, WHO'S SORRY NOW?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Steyr, I've been wrong before.

I admitted it and moved along.

Get over it, it's part of being human.

Danny

P.S. You are forgiven.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#24]
First I'd like to say we all make mistakes . I've made PLENTY . I've made bad,BAD mistakes. Luckily nobody was hurt or killed but could have been easily. That being said, I contacted my local district representative ,The Honorable Bart Gordon, about the A.W.B. and told him what I thought of it, next I contacted my state senator The Honorable Lamar Alexander and lastly but not leastly, The Honorable(and awesome) Senator Frist. They will all be getting a big thank you from me! Take care.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 4:22:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Falarak... I must respectfully disagree.  Remember what Papa Smurf always tells us, in every single one of his posts... no need for apologies among friends.  Hell, I'm gonna hold all my gun owning friends harmless and not collect on our bets that the ban would expire.  None of them believed, I did...  I might let them buy me dinner so we can celebrate, but no need to take it further.  We all won today, and here is the kicker... let this day serve as a reminder in the future that we CAN win... if we fight!

You are right.  I didnt really mean "eat crow" kinda apology.... just admit they shouldnt have been so ardent... even to blast those of us who openly stated we felt it was going to sunset.  More of a all in fun kinda thing.... not to be taken so seriously.

Sheesh!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought one preban rifle, and paid entirely too much money for it. I am losing much with the end of this ban.

And I couldn't be happier!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Styer --Here here ! Never thought I this day would finally arrive. Now that it is we must take the AWB as a wake up call and never let it happen agian.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I went back and looked at my diary, and I actually put down that I thought it was the beginning of the end. We must be ever so vigilant though, because the enemy is still at the gate.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

These people don't really bother me.  The people I despise are the ones who said it would never sunset and then didn't do shit like write letters and make calls to help us fight off the renewal.  These people deserve to have their firearms taken away from them for the rest of their natural pathetic lives.  We will probably never know who they really are but just know that you're scum for failing to help the cause of freedom.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:36:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I personally feel this is going to be a short window and I will be shopping accordingly. I hope I am wrong about that too.

I personally believe we have at least 5 months...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I personally feel this is going to be a short window and I will be shopping accordingly. I hope I am wrong about that too.

I personally believe we have at least 5 months...

At least till July IMHO.  

Just a feeling I have.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Steyr
Your thread title reminded me of the time The Fonz had to tell Ralph Malph he was wrong about telling him to join the Marines. the Fonz couldnt quite pronounce "wrong" correctly.

You did good!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

An unfortunate +1

SG
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Damn Doubletap.

SG
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Steyr
Your thread title reminded me of the time The Fonz had to tell Ralph Malph he was wrong about telling him to join the Marines. the Fonz couldnt quite pronounce "wrong" correctly.

You did good!

LMAO. I remember that one.

All  these years and I thought his name was "Ralph Mouth".

Danny
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Great to be WRONG isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
And I'm so glad.

I honestly didn't think I'd see the day.

This is because I was already a gun owner during the 1989 Import Ban and 1994 AW Ban.

Based upon the history of how these things have worked I though FOR SURE there would be some last minute deal (as was attempted when the renewal was ammended to S.1805 a few months ago) that would prevent the successful sunset of this stupid law.

Our thanks go to Larry Craig who killed his own bill rather than see it pass with the renewal attached and to Tom Delay and Bill Frist who fought the last attempts of the antis to pass a renewal prior to the sunset.

And IF it proves that Bush actively worked to prevent the renewal then he too will deserve our thanks.

I know it hasn't quite happened yet but I think it is safe to declare us home free.

The pre94 magazines that I paid premium prices for are worth far less now and I DO NOT CARE. And I will be buying more. Many of my domestic pre94 rilfes are not worth what they were 2 years ago and I DO NOT CARE. And I will be buying more.

I don't feel (as some do) that this President IF re elected will go after or support the overturning of the 89 Import Ban or the 86 MG Ban but I would LOVE to be wrong about that as well. It would cut the value of my pre86 MGs and my pre89 Imports by about 2/3s or more but I DO NOT CARE. And I would be buying more.

I've never felt so good about being wrong in my life.

And THAT is how I feel.

Funny how a "sunset" proved to be light at the end of the tunnel.

I was right there with ya.  Its is 11:17pm est and I still wouldnt be surprized if they pulled something out of their a...............butt.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I am not going to apoligize until tomorrow.

My wife says I am hard-headed. I prefer the term, distrustful of politicians.

That makes a bunch of us!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:40:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I was wrong.

I have never been so happy to be wrong before.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Steyr

You did good!

Well if Steyr is The Fonz in that analogy... then who are we?

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:17:02 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Steyr

You did good!

Well if Steyr is The Fonz in that analogy... then who are we?

How do you feel about Chachi?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:47:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top