Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2002 2:58:14 PM EDT
Can someone PLEASE tell me, in detail, how I can play the multiplayer missions in single player mode?

Also, where are the best places to play online?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
To play an MP mission in single player, copy the mission pbo from the MPmissions directory to the Missions directory.

As for playing online, all I can say is join a squad.  The public servers are just no fun.

The clan I play with (13th MEU) is a good bunch of guys that plays daily, missing a few here and there.  Visit our website at [url]http://www.wings-of-fury.com/13th_MEU/index.htm[/url].

If you want to join, tell em Zak sent you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
To play an MP mission in single player, copy the mission pbo from the MPmissions directory to the Missions directory.

As for playing online, all I can say is join a squad.  The public servers are just no fun.

The clan I play with (13th MEU) is a good bunch of guys that plays daily, missing a few here and there.  Visit our website at [url]http://www.wings-of-fury.com/13th_MEU/index.htm[/url].

If you want to join, tell em Zak sent you.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. Forgive the stupid question....but I'm not exactly sure I know what you're talking about regarding how to play M.P. missions in S.P. mode. Could you explain it in a little more detail? Thanks. Going to check out your link right now....
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info. Forgive the stupid question....but I'm not exactly sure I know what you're talking about regarding how to play M.P. missions in S.P. mode. Could you explain it in a little more detail? Thanks. Going to check out your link right now....
View Quote

Not a stupid question at all.  User created stuff for Operation Flashpoint is stored in an archive file with a .pbo extension.  These files usually show up in your "Missions" directory (where your single player missions are stored) your "MPMissions" directory (where multiplayer missions OFP downloads from servers are stored) and your "AddOns" directory (new vehicles, troop types, weapons, etc, not originally shipped with the game are stored here.)

To play a multiplayer mission in single player mode, first you need to know the name of the mission you want to play.  Once you know that, open the Operation Flashpoint directory (typically c:\operation flashpoint, I believe) and then open the "MPMissions" directory from there.  Right click on the name of the mission you want to play (the format of the name will ususally be something like "1-15_C_Band_Of_Comrades_Ep1.abel.pbo" which refers to number of players the mission is designed for (1-15,) the type (C, for Co-operative,) and the map the mission takes place on (I dont remember which one "abel" is, unfortunately) in single player mode, and select "copy" from the menu.

Go back to your OFP main directory, and enter your "Missions" directory.  Right click and select "Paste" from the menu.

When you restart OFP, and select "single mission" you will be able to play the mission you copied.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Now heres a man who knows how to explain something! Thanks Zak.....I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
M4,....Go HERE: [url]www.ofpeditingcenter.com[/url] you will find so much help with OFP you wont be able to comprehend it all [:)]
there is a forum, faq, upgrades, addons, editing utilities,....ect. there are also links to other similar resources (one particularly good one for addons is the Czech OFP site) Im not at home right now so I dont have the url handy, but if you would like it ....just let me know.
you would be ABSOLUTELY AMAZED at how much you can add to OFP as far as new vehicles, units, aircraft, weapons, missions.....
the copy of OFP on my computer has evolved into its own WORLD [;)]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Zak,...how well does the multi player experience work out?...I have not tried MP yet (Ive mostly been designing missions and scenarios of my own,....ALOT of them)...hell, Ive had the game since it came out, and I havent even made an attempt to finnish the SP version even though I play for HOURS almost every day. Thats how interesting I find the editing utilities.
Do you think tere would be a problem in MP with the fact that my game has got about a zillion more AddOn units/vehicles than there are original units?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Now heres a man who knows how to explain something! Thanks Zak.....I appreciate it.
View Quote

No problem--I do it for a living. [:D]  

BTW, did the 13th interest you at all?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Zak,...how well does the multi player experience work out?
View Quote

I found the public servers to be VERY disappointing.  The standard game type is "capture the flag" which is what people seem to do to get OFP to play like a mindless first person shooter instead of the wonderful game it truly is.  One of the few downsides to OFP is that it is impossible to join a game already in progress--you need to wait for the current mission to end.  As the public servers are generally always in use, you might find waiting for them to reset to be quite time consuming.

About the only real alternative is to join a squad (clan) and play with them either co-op, or league play.

...I have not tried MP yet (Ive mostly been designing missions and scenarios of my own,....ALOT of them)
View Quote

Yeah, I think that mission editor is incredibly powerful.  I'm working on one of my own now.  Specops squad parachutes onto Jungle Everon to rescue POWs.  Very little support available (a pair of Kioaws) and no local transport.  The squad has to assault a small russian airbase, grab some transport, free the POWs, and evac to a small island to the south.

I'm having a few problems with the scripting logic (what to do after the POWs are rescued) so am only working on it slowly right now. [:)]

Do you think tere would be a problem in MP with the fact that my game has got about a zillion more AddOn units/vehicles than there are original units?
View Quote

If you don't have any problems in single player (some addons (particularly the gunslinger editor addon) have been known to cause problems) you won't multiplayer.  Addons are loaded by the missions that require them, and having too many doesn't really harm anything.

If you're interested in MP, take a look at the link above.  They're a real good group of guys (and girl.)
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 6:02:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Zak....

Your clan have a killer web page. Looks like you guys have all the cool tools for the game.

You know a good place for a TOTAL beginer to learn about mission editing? I've downloaded a few missions, but I think if I knew what I was doing I could make some great ones. I found a few from a couple of guys in Norway that made really top notch missions....very professional. Can you point me in a direction to get started editing my own missions?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Zak....

Your clan have a killer web page. Looks like you guys have all the cool tools for the game.
View Quote

Personally, I think the page is a little overdone--but then again, i hate flash. [:D]  If you''re interested, our clan also does various flight sims--pick the various squadrons off of the toolbar on the left.

You know a good place for a TOTAL beginer to learn about mission editing? I've downloaded a few missions, but I think if I knew what I was doing I could make some great ones. I found a few from a couple of guys in Norway that made really top notch missions....very professional. Can you point me in a direction to get started editing my own missions?
View Quote

The only way to learn is to dive right in.  If you get stuck, ask for help on the official forums ([url]http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard301/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c88e5b572faffff[/url]) and, of course, read everything you can on the OFP Editing Center (you seem well on your way in that regard! [:)])

Once you get the basics down, the editor is VERY intuitive--and the scripting language is quite powerful.  There are a few idiosyncracies (trying to get an AI to act a certain way--like getting them to sit down and SIT STILL until a trigger goes off--can be maddening sometimes until you get it down.)

Like I said, just dive right on in--you'll pick it up alot faster than you think you will.  Start simple (a single infantryman for the player, and maybe a village clearing exercise for the mission) then make it slightly more complex each time you edit it.  Add some tanks/infantry carriers around the village, and increase the number of guys on your side.  Add some air support for your side--then some air defense to counter it.

If you can afford it, print the scripting guide/command reference.

Personally, I haven't progressed to intros, outros, and cut scenes yet--but I'll get there soon enough. [:D]
Top Top