Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 2:44:31 AM EDT
Well, I just found out GD sucks for this type of question despite the exposure.  Anyway, I need a chest rig that will carry at least 12 mags, a medi kit, and an mbitr radio.  Will be worn through long patrols through the jungle with a heavy ruck sack making comfort a major priority.  Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:53:30 AM EDT
[#1]
TT MAV w/ X harness.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
TT MAV w/ X harness.

+1 Get the 2-piece MAV.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Now there's a pletora of different chest rigs that you can choose from; I personally carry a an SDS Ranger RACK with 4 twin M16 mag pouches, 2 utility pouches, 1 twin pistol mag pouch, and a BHI SERPA Holster for my 226.

I suggest you go to SKD Tactical and check them out.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you ask any of your buddies in your unit what has worked well for them in the jungle? I don't think you would be wearing body armor in the jungles on patrol. Regardless I think a rack would suit you well.  A vest most likely would be warmer especially in the jungle causing you to sweat more and it might not sit as well when wearing a ruck sack.  As far as mag pouches having "6" 2-mag pouches across your chest might take up too much room.  They're going to use 2 columns of webbing per pouch so make sure you have enough room left over to mount the MBitr and med pouch.  You could try 3-mag pouches but they're going to stick out further and laying in the prone will probably be more uncomfortable.

My buddy makes a Rack which has 4 rows of webbing as opposed to the 3 you see on the TT Mav. This way you can mount pouches below the ammo pouches. He also makes mag pouches, mbitr pouches, med pouches.  He should be getting his website up within the next few days. Just got his business license and all that to become official though hes been making gear for the last few years.  If you are curious I can try to get some pictures to show you as another option.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:16:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Have you ask any of your buddies in your unit what has worked well for them in the jungle? I don't think you would be wearing body armor in the jungles on patrol. Regardless I think a rack would suit you well.  A vest most likely would be warmer especially in the jungle causing you to sweat more and it might not sit as well when wearing a ruck sack.  As far as mag pouches having "6" 2-mag pouches across your chest might take up too much room.  They're going to use 2 columns of webbing per pouch so make sure you have enough room left over to mount the MBitr and med pouch.  You could try 3-mag pouches but they're going to stick out further and laying in the prone will probably be more uncomfortable.

My buddy in the Q-Course with me started making his own gear to with the intent on trying to improve over exisiting equipment. His experience comes from being with the  2/75th Ranger Regiment.  He makes a Rack which has 4 rows of webbing as opposed to the 3 you see on the TT Mav. This way you can mount pouches below the ammo pouches. He also makes mag pouches, mbitr pouches, med pouches (hes an 18D Medic now so these are also based on his experience) etc.  He should be getting his website up within the next few days. Just got his business license and all that to become official though hes been making gear for the last few years.  If you are curious I can try to get some pictures to show you as another option.

Pics would be appreciated.  Thanks bro.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
You can't go wrong with a MAV.  I wore a 2-piece MAV all over b-dad and it was great.  I made the mistake of  getting the kit which came with the 3-mag pouches, those things stuck out like a mother, but having 12 mags can be comforting.  If I had to do it over again I would still get a MAV but instead of 3 mag pouches I'd get some of the 3x2 mag shingles from TAG.  Actually, HSGI has a kit that looks like a mav but with internal pouches and 3 rows of molle on the front.  I think it holds 12 mags inside but I'm not sure.  

Either way, I wouldn' use uncle sugars gear unless I had to.  

But alot  of this is METT-T dependent....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:55:43 PM EDT
[#7]
getoffthex.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/463106881/m/400100727/p/3

Get in touch with John Willis. He used to run SOE(now BDS) in Oceanside before he went to the pen. His gear is bombproof, and guaranteed(sp) for life.

Register at www.getoffthex.com if you haven't already. There is a ton of good info over there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Try one from Gene at High Speed Gear Inc.  He's right outside the back gate at Lejeune and is very popular with the guys at 2nd Force and Recon Bn.  Helluva nice guy too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to agree that the tactical tailor is the simplest and least cumbersome of all the chest rigs.  Quite a few guys in 1st Group had them.  I'm going to be getting one myself in the future....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the advice gents.  I'll let you know what I got when I get it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
you could try this one from sds,

i like their stuff alot, and they are also a mojor provider of military mollee gear.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:51:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't mess with the x-harness for the MAV if you are doing alot of rucking or wearing body armor.  In my experience padded shoulder straps on any kind of vest are uncomfortable with a ruck on, and totally unneeded when worn over body armor.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

secure.specialtydefense.com/images/items/IRACK_largemultiple.jpg

i like their stuff alot, and they are also a mojor provider of military mollee gear.

Always been taught to avoid zippers on a rig, as if you catch fire, the zipper can fuse together, making ditching it impossible...

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Always been taught to avoid zippers on a rig, as if you catch fire, the zipper can fuse together, making ditching it impossible...

flight suits. assault suits, and CVC suits all have zippers on them.  At the temps required to burn nomex or other materials, you've got better things to worry about than a zipper on your LBV fusing together.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

flight suits. assault suits, and CVC suits all have zippers on them.  At the temps required to burn nomex or other materials, you've got better things to worry about than a zipper on your LBV fusing together.

Yes, but Nomex does not catch fire.. Cordura does..
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:49:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yes, but Nomex does not catch fire.. Cordura does..

That is true, and I can understand the point of view.  personlly, i avoid zippers on my LBV simply because  still have gotten past the third grade level of proficiency at using them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#18]
at the risk of only oushing this farther off topic......doesn't the ACU have zippers?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#19]
the cvurrent lbv and the current uniform both have zippers on them.

trust me, if that bastard catches fire the least of your worries will be a zipper, im pretty sure at the temp it takes to cook the zippers together you're rounds will allready be cooking off.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
the cvurrent lbv and the current uniform both have zippers on them.

trust me, if that bastard catches fire the least of your worries will be a zipper, im pretty sure at the temp it takes to cook the zippers together you're rounds will allready be cooking off.

Possible... Specialty Defense uses shit el cheapo zippers anyway....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top