Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/4/2001 3:46:07 PM EDT
Hi, guys. I own a pre-ban AR-15 rifle and I live in Kalifornia. I literally just found out about the registration requirement for pre-ban AR-15 rifles through this website. As you can see, nobody told me about this new little law prior. So I call up the Department of Justice and asked them how to register my firearm. The lady there told me that I had to surrender my AR-15 to authorities and that there is no way to register my rifle. She says I can't carry it, can't shoot it, can't do anything with it. As far as the law is concerned, I now possess an illegal firearm. This totally blows. I hate that there's a possibility that I will have to give in to the silly ineffective gun laws of Kalifornia, but I will bite my tongue and do so if it's absolutely necessary. What do you guys think? Do I really have to give up my rifle? This seems like a dream (nightmare) to me...
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 3:53:37 PM EDT
I suggest you disassemble the upper from the lower. Then mail me the upper and a $50.00 disposal fee and then turn in the lower to the Govt because they know best. When is the last time you took a road trip to Arizona or Nevada to do a little sightseeing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 3:57:26 PM EDT
rufusjones, Fuck Kalifornia. Move your weapon out of that state to a relatives house or store it in public storage in AZ or NV
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 3:59:58 PM EDT
I suggest you move the lower to a neighboring state if you have access and if not I believe you can sell it to someone out of the state but I am not completely positive on that. You can always sell me all the parts but the lower reciever. Good luck I moved my weapons out of the state because of this wonderful registration and now I rarely get to shoot them. Good luck
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 4:05:25 PM EDT
another option is you can 'dewat' the rifle. i know of a guy who did this to his ar180, and sig 510. he just couldn;t part with them. you could easily dewat the rifle, fill the barrel with lead at the chamber, cut the gas tube etc etc and you could still have is as a non-firing weapon. it would suck but you could still have it and stay legal. if you want to know more contact the caldoj and they should be able to tell you what is required bummer dude - that sucks !! steve
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 4:09:54 PM EDT
Thanks for the response, guys. But this brings up some more questions - Can I take off the upper receiver and keep that (or give it to an out-of-state relative)? Isn't the lower receiver the only part that needs to be registered? I'm pissed as hell. My rifle looks almost identical to the rifle on the AR15.COM logo except I have a 11.5" barrel with 4.5" suppressor welded on... beautiful gun. Let me know! Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 4:12:25 PM EDT
yes the lower is the only part that is registered. if you send the lower out of state - contact garry owen at cav arms in az - he might be able to make you a polymer non-gun lower to stick on the bottom so you can atleast have something to muck around with. steve
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 5:02:28 PM EDT
The lower is the only part that is registered. You can remove the complete rifle OR just the lower from the state to be stored or sold out of state. You can sell the complete rifle OR just the lower to a CA licensed assault weapons dealer (I think). You can remove ALL of the parts from the lower, and turn in the stripped lower to CA law enforcement. (Please try to avoid this option, it just removes another AR from the market. And who's to say where it will end up?) If you use this option, then you can sell all the remaining parts.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 5:05:22 PM EDT
Why don't you just sell it get the money?
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 5:27:28 PM EDT
Get it out of state and get it out quick is all I can say. Don't let them know you have it any more than you already have. If they call you back or come knocking at your door, tell them you sold it out of state and have a bill of sale ready to show them. Take the upper and stock off of the lower. Since the lower is the only thing that is the gun, you can keep the rest. Even if they confiscate it before you can find other means, keep the rest, even the internals and sell them so it is not a total loss. Have a friend out of state hold it for you, put it in a safe deposit box out of state that no one knows about, bury it, or sell it. Just don't give it up to an oppressive government!!! No, never, no way. Especially a preban!!! If it comes to it, even contact me offlist and you can ship the lower to my FFL for storage, seriously. It doesn't really matter to me who's it is, but please, for the sake of humanity, don't let the PRK have it. --Clay
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 5:29:23 PM EDT
this is nuts! nut-up and screw the Kali butt-munches. If I was in Kali, I would be like some of the English; I would NEVER have registered the darn thing. Besides, if the police start going to peoples houses and demanding their AR's then THEY are the enemy; they will have urinated on their oath and gone with the government.Anything bad that happens to them, oh, well......
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 5:45:42 PM EDT
Contact a lawyer in your state. Talk to a friend, or see if there is a referral thru your state rifle assn. We all have opinions of what you should do, but its your ass the PRK will come down on. Don't rely on the PRK for correct info on your rights. Spend the money on a good lawyer, and be sure.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 6:04:27 PM EDT
Rufusjones, If you don't have one, find someone with a FoodSaver and vacuum seal that evil gun and bury it in your back yard to save it for the day that they try and come for all of 'em! I registered mine this year as required and am expecting it to go as the SKS did, first registration then force you to turn 'em in or sell them. I have firmly decided that if it comes to me having to get rid of it, I'm packing my business and family up and baling out of this liberal shithole! Don't give it up for anything dude!! There is some crap going down in the courts about that registration period and you might want to check it out on the Cal. Rifle & Pistol Assoc. web site. You need to join up with them (CRPA)as I have and fight these assholes face to face. Don't roll over and let it happen.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 6:29:20 PM EDT
Don't get a lawyer! Lawyers f**k up everything they touch and charge you for it! Sell it out of state, bury it, do anything you want to, but DON'T turn it in!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 1:36:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/5/2001 1:39:23 AM EDT by LAgunman2K]
DONT DO ONE DAMN THING!!!! --you can own 100 uppers and hang them on your wall and the cops cant do a damn thing about it --theres probably 50,000+ UN-registered guns in this state, your not alone, so dont freak --DONT SELL IT, NEVER sell a gun, especially a Preban, you will never get it back --if you know someone out of state send the gun to them to hold on to --disassemble the lower reciever and put it in a SAFE DEPOSIT BOX at your bank, could even be a NV/AZ bank so you could shoot it on trips to vegas --soak it in oil, put it in a ammo can, and bury it in your yard --to dewat an AR you would have to cut the reciever in HALF, filling the barrel wouldnt work since you could slap on a new upper and go shoot --no one knows you have it, you could hide it under your bed, and the chances of the DOJ or cops searching your house is ZILCH, just SHUT UP ABOUT IT TO EVERYONE!!! --keep track of these f**king gun laws, some people think that with these lawsuits over the law that there COULD be a 2nd registration period (fat chance IMO) keep watch at [url]www.calnra.org[/url]
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 2:36:55 AM EDT
rufusjones: Front Sight NV will store it for you. Not sure of the price but it is an option. They are 40 miles out of Las Vegas near Pahrump NV. Better yet would be to open a bank account in NV/AZ and put the lower in a safe deposit box there. Then hope for better times.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 3:30:59 AM EDT
If you live in N.Kalifornia, Impact Indoor Range and Storage in Reno, Nevada offers to store firearms for out of state people. They have been in business many years in Reno. Their phone number is (775)359-5599. It is perfectly legal for you to store your assault rifle out of state.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 5:12:29 AM EDT
LAgunman2K, --theres probably 50,000+ UN-registered guns in this state, your not alone, so dont freak Check this out: March 4, 2001 Daily News. Op.Ed. by, David L. Peltz "Now we learn that out of CA's population of 35 million people, only 27,000 assault weapons have been registered, even though it is estimated that there are 500,000 to 1 million legally owned assault weapons in CA." WOW!!!! What do you think about thatttttt!!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 5:38:36 AM EDT
Move. Vote with your wallet and your feet. Don't pay another single cent in tax money to these gun grabbing bastards. Refuse to live in a state where they do this kind of thing and simply get the hell out. Always remember that armed people are 'citizens' - unarmed people are 'subjects'.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 5:50:38 AM EDT
I agree with luvmyAR, move out of that ignorant place. One day it will slide off into the ocean and take all those gun grabbing asswipes with it. Maybe we can get all the gun grabbers to move there before it happens.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 5:57:32 AM EDT
Instead of surrendering a preban rifle take it out of state to a family's house to store it or take it to another state and sell it to get a good price don't give it up to the commies.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 5:57:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:31:08 AM EDT
Russ, there is ONE way you can get your rifle legally registered. (Actually TWO ways if you include applying for an AW permit - LOL!). Here's the deal: If you get yourself ARRESTED for possessing an unregistered AW before the end of 2001, a judge CAN return the firearm to you and compel you to register it. You'll get a $500 fine and a couple of scary sessions in court. There is no guarantee that the judge will allow this, but if you are sincere and present a reasonable story that you were not aware of the registration requirement, a reasonable judge would probably cut you slack. Obviously your alternatives are to surrender the rifle, destroy it, move it and/or yourself out of the state, sell it to a Nevada or Arizona dealer, bury it, or just blow off the whole thing and hope you don't get busted. Starting 1/1/02 you face possible felony charges for possessing an unregistered AW. You have my sympathy. I know the state did a shitty job of publicizing the law.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:03:17 AM EDT
Move to Nevada or Arizona ASAP! You will take a pay cut but that is the price of freedom! Live from Las Vegas, Different
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:15:32 AM EDT
I lived in the PRK for a long time and had thought about moving. The ridiculous AW laws pushed me over the edge. Get out of that state while you can. I think all freedom loving Kalifornians should move the hell out so we can watch from a distance as the liberal politicians destroy the state. All other state governments will then learn from Kalifornia how not to run their states. I guarantee you that gun crime is going to go up as more and more laws are passed there. We all no that, and it is amazing that the Attorney General there doesn't not that. What is he, a complete moron?
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:33:24 AM EDT
rufusjones, You can store your AR at the Front Sight Weapons Training Institute just outside Las Vegas, Nevada at: [url]http://www.frontsight.com/store_guns.htm[/url] It is not cheap, but it is an interesting option. An alternative is to rent a safe deposit box, or even a storage shed (less than $25 < month) in Nevada or Oregon. Good luck, dude.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 8:40:28 AM EDT
rufusjones, scary to hear about all that is happening in 'Kalifornia'. You are welcome here in Vermont with any type of weapon/rifle you own! I would try to keep ownership of that pre-ban any way I could.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 5:45:46 PM EDT
I know there are many unregistered firearms in CA for instant in N. CA, where I live, I talked the local gun shops and police and they said they had only handed out around 3 asault rifle registration forms for the whole area, plus after the first there was an article from the police stating that if they were told to go confiscate ar's and ak's that over half the force would quit rather than to go look for them. Well I would never give up my firearms but good luck in whatever you decide.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:15:13 PM EDT
Personally I would have never made the call or posted your dilemma in this matter and would have just kept it to myself and still have my AR. Did you give them your name when you called? Everyone has caller I.D these days even business's. Your name is probably on the top of someone's list now. Best thing to do is get your guns out of that state and move to free America "Arizona". John
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:28:37 PM EDT
Those in my family in the peoples republic of kalif, have simply chosen to ignore big brother, and they have learned to keep their mouths shut when it comes to certain things. Don't bend over and drop your shorts just because some bitch told you that you have an illegal weapon. Take the advise given on how to secure what you have, for once it is gone what are your chances to get another in your present circumstances.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:33:04 PM EDT
Keeping it is certainly an option...the upper alone is still legal to own...you can always sell it and buy a cali legal M1A
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 6:38:22 PM EDT
man, i know you havent been here long enuf to really trust any of teh members, but i bet thier would be somone close to you, in another state who could arrange a transfer and hang onto you rifle untill you got something figureed out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2001 7:09:12 PM EDT
I would like to see you find a way to hold on to that AR, and for god's sake, whatever you decide to do, PLEASE!!! dont destroy it, or turn it in. If you find that you wont be able to keep it, I would be very interested in buying it from you. You can email me with all of the particulars,(make/model/condition)and what price you would like for it. I live in Florida, and know an FFL holder who would take shippment. Hopefully you will find a way to keep it though......good luck.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:05:46 AM EDT
trojan -- never would of guessed almost 1 million, we kalifkommies sure do like our AWs [:D] i was trying to give a real conservative estimate, just to give the guy an idea of how many people didnt register there guns and they are NOT Scared. i had heard that over 200k AW's were sold in 1999 alone. IMO -- telling the guy to MOVE out is a waste of time and is a loooong term plan, he (i assume) was looking for an immediate solution. and anyone who thinks the state of kalif is going anywhere for the next MILLION years shouldnt hold there breathe the guy just needs to RELAX, stash the gun away in a small dark corner of his house or garage wrapped oiled plastic and stashed in an old dirty sleeping bag, Forget about it and SHUT UP ABOUT IT
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 6:20:02 AM EDT
You are welcome to come to Nevada if you leave behind your ignorance. We don't need more Californians here who think this a great place but needs to be a little more like California.Californians who come here fall into one of two groups, refugees or infiltrators. Both should be dealt with accordingly. If you want to move here, I'll be more than happy to help you become a good, informed, resident. P.S. Bring your AR!
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:49:07 AM EDT
California Kid, You are right about being able to register after being arrested BUT the AR and AK series rifles are NOT included in this option. If you are arrested with an unregistered AR or AK you will lose your rifle. Forever.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 11:07:55 AM EDT
Move. Your probably on the wrong side of the San Andreas anyway.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 8:31:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LAgunman2K: trojan -- never would of guessed almost 1 million, we kalifkommies sure do like our AWs [:D]
View Quote
If there are a million Kalifornians who own ARs, then why in the HELL don't you people band together and vote the scum-sucking gun grabbers out of office? I for one am getting sick and tired of bombarding my congresscritter with letters every time that Feinstein bitch wakes up with hot flashes and decides to write yet ANOTHER 'crime control' bill.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:07:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 9:56:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By luvmyAR: I for one am getting sick and tired of bombarding my congresscritter with letters every time that Feinstein bitch wakes up with hot flashes and decides to write yet ANOTHER 'crime control' bill.
View Quote
luvmyAR, what do you mean 'Feinstein Bitch'. She is simply trying to help her community by getting rid of the 1/2 million non-violent legally owned guns in her state. All this griping about her hot flashes, did you ever stop to think about how much better folks lives are in the PRK, now that drive-by bayonettings are down 1.2%. Not to mention that one crime was thought to have been discouraged because the criminals would not have had access to a flash hider. They were so scarred that their position would be given away by the flash that they didn't even want to risk attempting the crime. Unfortunately, baseball bat beatings and shootings by illegal handgun posessing felons has increased 30%, and jueveniles still shoplift candy bars and smoke cigaretts after school.
Link Posted: 5/6/2001 10:09:34 PM EDT
If you are a NRA member, contact them and see what they sugest. They have a good leagle department. The had this info in a past issue and stated several thousand people were inviolation, INCLUDING LAW ENFORCMENT !!!. The also said that most L.E. were not too sure as to how to inforce the laws because it was vauge. It sounds like next election you need to get some PRO-GUN people in there. Eric
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:40:15 AM EDT
Screw them and either keep it in your house to look at(or for self defense) or move it to NV and shoot it there. WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T TURN IT IN! -DR
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:32:07 AM EDT
Conduct research about an existing lawsuit in regards to the fact that while they extended the deadline 23 days, they failed to conduct sufficient advertisement of the fact that they must be registered. As you are one of the people wishing to legally register your firearm, but did not hear about it in advance, you may be a viable party to this lawsuit. I personally will keep mine registered in California when I move out of state. The address will be of a relative that is STAUNCHLY anti-gun! When they come a knocking, maybe that relative will change their minds about the need for guns...
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:54:56 AM EDT
Hmmmmm...interesting approach. Hey, I've got it! Why don't you find out what Feinstein's home address is and register it there? Should be easy enough to do. That way, when the Geheimstaatspolizei kick in her door at midnight looking for it, she'll get a taste of her own medicine. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 11:01:24 AM EDT
I have a suggestion. Get your head out of the sand and try to watch what is going on around you for a change. I don't live in Kalifornia (nor would I for anything approaching a reasonable amount) but I have known about the registration requirement for a long time.....Why didn't you? Did you vote in the last election? Are you even registered to vote? No lame excuses now, are you registered and did you vote? If you didn't vote or you voted for Gray Davis, Feinstein, Boxer or the other Democrates, then you are getting exactly what you deserve. If you did vote, what the hell did you base your decision on? It sure wasn't their stand on Firearms.......I guess from the way you are whinning. No my friend, you must keep a vigilant watch on your freedom. Guard it jealously. Know the issues and inform others what they are so that they can be informed. Help take our country back. If your are not interested in that, then why should be care what happens to your AR15? It's just another preban on the market as far as I am concerned. If you like the AW laws, you'll love the solution to the power shortage. PigPen
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:55:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By PigPen: If you like the AW laws, you'll love the solution to the power shortage. PigPen
View Quote
Oh great... there goes my hi-capacity fridge, and my ugly black assault television.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 1:04:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By luvmyAR: Hmmmmm...interesting approach. Hey, I've got it! Why don't you find out what Feinstein's home address is and register it there? Should be easy enough to do. That way, when the Geheimstaatspolizei kick in her door at midnight looking for it, she'll get a taste of her own medicine. [:)]
View Quote
hehehe....I like it. [}:D]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 2:39:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By IrvineGunNut: Oh great... there goes my hi-capacity fridge, and my ugly black assault television.
View Quote
Don't forget the telescoping shelves on your dishwasher (they'll have to be permanently pinned in place) and the removable lint filter on your dryer (limited to no more than 10 grams of lint).
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 3:17:06 PM EDT
rufusjones, There is some bad advice here. So be careful. Here are some rules that I believe in: 1- Never call the DOJ from anything but a pay phone outside of the city you live in. Don't use your blocked home phone as all calls going into DOJ are not blocked.... no matter what. 2- Do not call attention to yourself unless it is absolutely necessary. Even then, it should be very minimal. 3- Don't have the lower receiver on the wall unless it is not on the ban list from Roberti-Ross. This basically means that you would have to build it yourself from raw stock. 4- Your best bet is to move it out of state. Do this yourself. Don't ship it. Drive out of state descreetly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 5:35:36 PM EDT
Folks... A bit of clarification.... 'California Kid' wrote that you could set yourself up to get arrested *this year* w/your AW and then the DOJ would allow you to reg it on or after the 1/1/01 date. This is indeed true, but ONLY for SB23 "by feature" AWs. The original 50+ Roberti-Roos weapons, and AR/AK-class weapons that were placed in this group via the Kasler decision this September, are not in play here. So don't "intentionally" get yourself popped thinking you've found a loophole; it won't do you any good. This'd only work for FAL & HK *clones*, etc. This is from the Kalif DOJ website: "The DOJ is no longer accepting new assault weapon registration forms. The only exception applies to persons who have been arrested for possession of an unregistered assault weapon. Such a person may be eligible, through December 31, 2001, to have the charge reduced to an infraction if he or she meets the specific conditions described in Penal Code section 12280(c). One of these conditions requires that the person register the assault weapon with the DOJ. The DOJ is accepting registration forms from these persons if they provide the DOJ with documentation substantiating their arrest. [b]However, this option is only available for assault weapons as defined by characteristics that are not Roberti-Roos assault weapons or AK or AR-15 series weapons.[/b]" There you have it. Shoot straight, Bill wiese [at] jps [dot] net
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:44:37 PM EDT
all you have to do is strip your ar and sell your parts or store them at a relative and keep the strip lower it is classified as a weapon that applies to the law because there is no flash suppresor and no pistol grip bellow the magzine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top