Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 12:11:42 PM EDT
We've got some, new york times readin', starbuck's drinkin' liberal asses that want "traffic circles" built on busy roads, I mean real damn busy, heavy heavy traffic roads, leading to and around town. WTF? They have one near the community college that works fine at night when there's no damn traffic but its the shit when its busy.

You know what i'm talkin' about. In the movie "European Vacation" Clark....chevy chase...was caught in one all night. Yeah, those damn things.

I hate the looks of them. I hate counting on other people allowing me to merge. Not to mention the trucks with 45 foot beds.  F**king euros!

rant over
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#1]
you hate europeans because they want traffic circles? Huh??
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate frenchies,does that count?Maybe we could get our own forum
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
you hate europeans because they want traffic circles? Huh??

thats what i said.

ofcourse, theres many more reasons too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We've got some, new york times readin', starbuck's drinkin' liberal asses that want "traffic circles" built on busy roads, I mean real damn busy, heavy heavy traffic roads, leading to and around town. WTF? They have one near the community college that works fine at night when there's no damn traffic but its the shit when its busy.

You know what i'm talkin' about. In the movie "European Vacation" Clark....chevy chase...was caught in one all night. Yeah, those damn things.

I hate the looks of them. I hate counting on other people allowing me to merge. Not to mention the trucks with 45 foot beds.  F**king euros!

rant over

Traffic circles are a great way to keep the flow going.  Problem is most dumbasses can't use them properly.  Its a YIELD sign not a STOP sign....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:21:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Look kids! Big Ben! Parliament!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#7]
We've had a lot of traffic circles here in Jersey, but the last few years have seen the DOT removing them and putting in traffic lights. There are so many baaaad drivers who couldn't negotiate the circles, they shouldn't be driving IMHO.

As for driving the circles, my philosophy has always been "Give it the gas and GO"
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

rant over

Traffic circles are a great way to keep the flow going.  Problem is most dumbasses can't use them properly.  Its a YIELD sign not a STOP sign....

Thats exactly right. American drivers don't understand them. Shit, I've seen people come to a stop on the damn freeway onramp.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I hated traffic circles in New Jersey, hated them in Iraq and hated them in the UK. A bad idea, brought to you from the days when the technology for automated traffic control didn't exist.

Sorry, but traffic circles are a good idea - they are much more efficient than regular automated traffic control and accidents are scarce compared to automated traffic control. I can't speak for the rest of Europe, but traffic circles is something that came after regular automated traffic control.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
"Look kids, there's Big Ben, and Parliament..."

I hated traffic circles in New Jersey, hated them in Iraq and hated them in the UK. A bad idea, brought to you from the days when the technology for automated traffic control didn't exist.

IMO, roundabouts are a great idea in some locations, like subruban and semi-rural (simply to make turning easier without having to stop or slow down too much), but for urban traffic - especially American cities' traffic -  it is not a good idea.

But I don't get rainman's "hating Europeans" because some american liberal doesn't understand traffic flow part?    
Do I get to hate American Southerners because I don't like pecan pie, grits and divinity, and idiots are always trying to convice me how great it is, if I just "give it a chance"?  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:34:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Do I get to hate American Southerners because I don't like pecan pie, grits and divinity, and idiots are always trying to convice me how great it is, if I just "give it a chance"?  

BURN THE HERETIC AND HIS WOODEN SHOES!

I have nothing against the roundabout except that there are too many idiots that cannot handle it and due to them it creates more problems that is solves.  

Wanna know what really gets me though? Those Goddamn jughandles in NJ. WTF can't you just let people make a fucking left turn with a arrow instead of having to go around your elbow to get to your asshole? Works in the south. Maybe NJ drivers are just such assholes that nothing short of insanely odd traffic patterns will keep them from ramming other drivers intentionally.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I think of it as "turning laps". I try to go as fast as I can in the outside lane and not get out of the circle, just keep going around and around passing people. I have an "infamous" reputation among the people who know my friends in Europe.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:43:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I was too harsh.  Pecan pie is OKAY, I guess - but grits are fucking disgusting!  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:48:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe I was too harsh.  Pecan pie is OKAY, I guess - but grits are fucking disgusting!  

You are a sick and disgusting individual, certainly not worthy of that gift from God himself to Southerners - grits.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are a sick and disgusting individual, certainly not worthy of that gift from God himself to Southerners - grits.

I understand that it has to look like vomit, but does it really need to taste like it too??  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Was the  traffic circle designed as a way to fix a design flaw in the surrounding road?

If it was built right, it should be more like a grid so no 3 road come together or have to intersect?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand that it has to look like vomit, but does it really need to taste like it too??  

+1
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey Dutchie, try butter, salt and pepper next time instead of sugar. With sugar they taste like weak Cream of Wheat or something, but the b, s & p is much tastier.

I'll have to remember that if I EVER try it again, but I doubt I will.  

But I appreciate the tip
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top