Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2009 4:14:28 AM EST
I have read the other threads, but they don't have what I am looking for.

Here's the situation. I currently have a Nokia 3595. I have had it for years, and it has worked well. However, I think I am finally ready to retire it and join the new century.

I am thinking about getting one of the new 3GS Iphones. I don't expect to go crazy getting different apps. Do I need the 32 or will the 16 suffice? It looks like until this upgrade 16 was their top of the line.

Feel free to mock my phone ignorance as long as you provide some helpful info as well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:15:31 AM EST
16 should be fine for what you describe....actually probobly way more than you would need.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:20:05 AM EST
I am posting from a 8 gig Ipod fine for me

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:20:15 AM EST
I have a 16G 3G, and I have over 1,000 songs and several apps on it, and still have over 8G left on it. Apps take up very little space.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:30:04 AM EST
I have an 8GB iPhone.

It has 500 songs, 200 photos, 27 applications and a movie on it, and is a bit more than half full.

16GB should be fine, unless you have a huge song and photo collection you want to carry with you.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:34:52 AM EST
It depends on what you plan on using it for. I have a 16G.

I travel around 25%. It is nice to have movies as well as music to make plane rides less boring.

If I could, I would get 32G for the additional space. But if you are not travelling, and do not plan on watching alot of video, then a 8 or 16 should suit you fine.

FWIW, it is hands down the best phone/pda device I have ever used.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:48:00 AM EST
I have the 8G but I don't bother putting music on mine.

I have downloaded quite a few useful apps and still have over 7 gigs available.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:54:25 AM EST
movies will kill it more than anything. music,photos,apps take up very little space. I'm still rocking the 1st gen 4gb model. No problems.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:29:07 AM EST
Thank you all very much for the information. I will upgrade soon. It looks like the 16 will be way more than I need.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:45:00 AM EST
Go with the Palm Pre Better data plans and better operating system/user interface.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:26:01 AM EST
I get along just fine with my 8GB 1st gen iPhone.

The apps don't take a whole lot of space, and unless you have EVERY single one of your songs on a playlist or two, you won't really run out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:29:54 AM EST
I have the 8gb and I do fine with it. Music takes up most of the room. I have about 6gb of music on mine and that is plenty for me. When I get sick of what's on there, I just reload some new stuff. YMMV
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:28:13 AM EST
I've got a 16gig 3G. I have about 300 pics, 275 songs, several podcasts, a few short range video's, and a decent amount of apps. One of the apps (G-maps West) is around 900 megs by itself. I run about 6.5gigs of free space at any given time.

A couple of things need to be mentioned in regards to iPhone memory.

1. The amount of data on the device will always be in flux, depending on how often and what you sync. For example, iTunes will automatically put every song and podcast you have stored in your library along with the playlist arrangments on you phone with the first sync. On the other hand, iTunes will automatically remove already-listened-to podcasts from your iphone (the next time you sync) to conserve hardrive space.

2. Many users end up using the device a lot more than they thought they would. As an example, I had never purchased any sort ofsmart phone before my iPhone. Email was therefore something I checked maybe once a month, and rarely used for anything. Now I use it all the time. It's just so easy! And don't forget that software is what sells the iPhone. Not it's cool multi-touch/accelerometer doothingy. Having a little more space than you think you'll need may not be such a bad thing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:02:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/16/2009 12:04:19 PM EST by fishngrits]
If you don't want certain songs/apps/photos/etc., to load on to the phone when you sync, uncheck them in itunes, then only the checked items will be downloaded to the phone.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:04:26 PM EST
im getting the 16. 32 is for those persons who download ALOT of music and media. I mean ALOT!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:08:45 PM EST
16GB will be fine. I have the 8GB 3G model and I have only about 2GB used which includes music and apps. Though since the phone shoots video, it may get used faster.
Top Top