Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2002 5:53:44 AM EDT
I have a few questions on IL gunlaws, and how they pertain to those of us visiting the state for the BRC.

1)What is a FOID and am I correct that I don't need one as a non-resident?

2)If you need a FOID to transport a firearm, do I need to get one, or does this apply only to IL residents?

3)If I'm a non-resident void of FOID, how exactly do I legally transport a weapon in IL?

4)Are there any types of bans, or restrictions on types of weapons in IL that will affect me attending the BRC?

Ross
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 4:10:47 AM EDT
[#1]
1) Firearm Owners ID. Illinois residents are required to have one to own firearms or purchase ammo. Non-residents don't need one.

2) Applies only to Illinois residents.

3) State law requires the firearm to be transported unloaded, in a case. Not a holster, completely enclosed in a case. Unloaded would mean no mag in your AR. But, don't take my word for it because somebody will probably disagree. The ISP has a brochure that addresses this issue.

Illinois State Police Popular Brochures

[url]http://www.isp.state.il.us/[/url]

4) No full auto, no suppressors. No rifles in the gun rack in the window (unless they are unloaded, in a case). No loaded pistol in the console, glove box or under the seat (unloaded, in a case).

[green]That is a PDF file. If you can't access it, here is all you really need to know, directly from the brochure:[/green]

[red]How can I legally transport a firearm on my
person or in my vehicle?[/red]

1. Unloaded and,
2. Enclosed in a case, and
3. By persons who have a  valid FOID card.

Nonresidents are subject to Illinois law,
restrictions, and penalties, and should be
familiar with them if the nonresident plans to
bring a firearm into the state.

Nonresidents must comply with the gun case
law as described above. Additionally, the
firearm must not be immediately accessible or
must be broken down in a non-functioning
state.

[green]If it is in a case, it doesn't have to be broken down. If you don't have a case then it should be broken down to comply fully with state law.[/green]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#2]
What questions are asked to get the FOID card?
Do they ask for type and quantity of guns?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What questions are asked to get the FOID card?
Do they ask for type and quantity of guns?
View Quote

You won't require one for the BRC.  This is for IL residents.  This is our states "Firearm License".  It asks the usual questions on the form

1.  Are you a felon?
2.  Are you adicted to drugs?
3.  Blah, Blah, Blah.....

There are NO questions as to quantity, quality, or type.......

Oh yea, an odd-ball size picture of your mug is required too.  Think they would make it easy with a passport size photo???  NO!

Like I said though, you don't require one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top