Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/30/2022 7:22:15 PM EDT
Went and saw an amazing reenactment this weekend.
I think I want to join up with a group.

How does one get into this hobby?
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
T-A-L-K to the re-enactors.

They are always looking for like minded & enthusiastic new people.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:31:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote
I did, but not about being one.
Wish I would have. Guess I could call the museum.

But I figured someone here had inside info.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
We have members that do those re-enactments. They’ll chime in at some point
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Plenty of folks locally that do, I don't anymore but find a local unit that needs help.

These local guys are serious .

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I did it in the 1990s (US GI).  All original kit except for boots.

I had impressions from 1939 through 1945.  ETO, CONUS, & PTO.

Some things were hard to find (M1938 raincoat) but other than my 1903 & M1 I had less than a grand in it.

Now?  Original M1 helmets are stupid expensive.  Original M1917A1?  Forget it.  Everything is reproduction & expensive.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:51:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Some things were hard to find (M1938 raincoat) but other than my 1903 & M1 I had less than a grand in it.

Now?  Original M1 helmets are stupid expensive.  Original M1917A1?  Forget it.  Everything is reproduction & expensive.
View Quote

why did you give it up, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Everybody wants to be a Nazi until it's time to do Nazi stuff.

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 7:57:49 PM EDT
[#9]
You think larping is spensive. I know a buncha ww2 reanactors, one brings out 200k in guns out another 200k in vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I did it in high school and college.  Call the museum that put on the show and ask them to put you in contact with the unit(s) that put on the event you attended.  The unit you join will influence exactly what you need to buy based on the unit and period they portray.

Plan on buying quality repro uniforms and gear.  At The Front Militaria is a good source for US and German reproductions.  Original gear in a condition you would consider putting to hard use will fall apart quickly.  As with so many other things, you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:10:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I did it back in the 80's and stopped for 20 years while I was in the military.  Now I am back in Texas and back into doing it again.  I'm guessing you went to Brent Mullins open house.

This is my jeep at Mullins a few years back.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I've recently begun to think about getting into Civil War reenactments.

Of course, I don't know if they would allow Privates as old as I am.

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You think larping is spensive. I know a buncha ww2 reanactors, one brings out 200k in guns out another 200k in vehicles.
View Quote

And that was one of the reasons I chose Civil War reenacting. My transportation was my brogans.

I could even have gone barefoot if I was going as a late-war Reb.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Camp Mabry in Austin will have reenactors all over for their WW2 show April 30 - May 1.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Costs actually came down significantly from when I started to when I got out, as far at the actual personal impression goes. (Basically, the cheaper repros finally started to be good enough to be considered.)
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've recently begun to think about getting into Civil War reenactments.

Of course, I don't know if they would allow Privates as old as I am.

View Quote

Oh yes we do , Private passgas55, age 67.
All kidding aside bring your wallet.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#17]
One of the best deals going on if you want to try reenacting is to volunteer at a National Park where a battle took place. I do the Battle of New Orleans at the Chalmette battlefield.
When I first started they completely outfitted me and I got to shoot their flintlocks and cannons . All for free. Catch is you do have to follow the NPS rules. I do now have all my own
war of 1812 stuff including a brown Bess but when I am feeling lazy I use their musket. They get to clean their muskets
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I also do a lot of civil war stuff. Looks bad enough that I am bald and white beard but at least I am thin. We are a heavy old bunch.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

This.  Want to go cheap?  Be a medic (at least you don't have to carry an icky gun).
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a helmet, k-bar, am m1 garand, and a 1911.
I would need clothes and web gear.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually, I would prefer USGI.

Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

why did you give it up, if you don't mind me asking?
View Quote
Living history events were fun, but "tactical" were bullshit 'I shot you, no you didn't'.

I was doing hardcore "campaigner" ACW and WWII events... Well, I felt like the biggest farb in farbdom while standing there in all original gear.  And historical vehicle guys (jeeps, etc) are beyond farb.

I'm a material culturist.  I believe in total immersion.  My WWII outfit didn't.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Heck maybe I should get into WWII reenacting and do a Russian impression. Do they do any Pacific theater battles? Now that be interesting.
Another thing I am looking at is doing the Fort Mims mascara. Plan on being a Creek Indian belonging to the red sticks. I will shave my beard and head for this one.
Bad time of year for battle in August during hurricane season.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:11:57 AM EDT
[#24]
My unit, F/502 ( https://fox502nd.weebly.com/ ), is in the Midwest. I might be a bit biased, but we're one of the premier USGI units around. We just finished 3 private, immersive events within the last year portraying the 3 major battles the 101st fought: Normandy, Operation Market Garden, and the Bulge. Amazing experiences with each event (photos below) and a great group of dedicated guys. We do airborne right, which is a rare thing.

The training events/unit parties are a blast and we have one coming up next month. Our first big public event after 2 years is the Fagen Fighters Airshow in June and it's going to be an awesome event. I put a jump kit together just for it.

Personally, I've really jumped in (pun intended) with both feet the last couple of years, putting together resupply drop containers, multiple parachutes, done tons of research, and started doing rigger modified pieces. It's a pricey hobby but I love it.

There was a recent week-long immersive event portraying the drive to Tunis just a week ago down in Texas. Heard it was fantastic. Find a quality unit to join and hang onto your butt!

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:17:22 AM EDT
[#25]
They do a world war one event in Tennessee. I have a friend who participated. They even have biplanes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#26]
I try to catch the WWII Weekend every year, early June, at Reading PA airport. Aircraft, hardware, vehicles, equipment & airshow. Lots of re-enactors doing different units, nations and theaters. Used to be a lot of veterans doing presentations. Sadly those are becoming less every year.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 1:49:46 AM EDT
[#27]
We did Rev War period.  Some of the group have also done Civil and WW2. Stopped after dad died.

TALK with the reenactors. Check out their website, many have a "try before you buy" program.

You will make friends that rival ARF. I haven't done it in close to 30 years but can still call on fellow reenactors.

Great fun. Great effort. Rewarding.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 3:02:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, but the Germans had cooler uniforms.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 4:36:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, yeah, not every guy in WW2 Germany was strutting around in an SS Obergruppenfuhrer dress uniform.

The uniforms worn by the average German grunt weren't much "cooler" than the shit anyone else was wearing.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:10:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 6:37:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I did Civil War reenacting while growing up. It was some of the best memories that I have of my father. I can't imagine how much ammo would cost for a WWII weekend. I might fire 100 rounds of black powder cartridges for my Smith carbine and Colt 1851 Navy pistol at an event. That was expensive enough, and I could reuse the hulls for the Smith. I could easily see going through 400rd of 30.06 blanks in a weekend.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah, yeah, not every guy in WW2 Germany was strutting around in an SS Obergruppenfuhrer dress uniform.

The uniforms worn by the average German grunt weren't much "cooler" than the shit anyone else was wearing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be a Klink. Be a Hochstetter!!!

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#33]
I can see doing WW2 re-enactments, don't think they will be doing WW3 re-enactments much.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I did it back in the 80's and stopped for 20 years while I was in the military.  Now I am back in Texas and back into doing it again.  I'm guessing you went to Brent Mullins open house.

This is my jeep at Mullins a few years back.
https://i.imgur.com/iftQwwH.jpg?1
View Quote

I rolled with TMHS back in the 90s, in "Farby Darby's" 17th SS GvB. Still have a few hard copy photos of some of those events somewhere.

They ever bring the Hetzer, the 251 or the Easy 8 Sherman out anymore? I saw them in the museum last time I was at Mabry on business, but haven't kept up with this stuff in many years.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I rolled with TMHS back in the 90s, in "Farby Darby's" 17th SS GvB. Still have a few hard copy photos of some of those events somewhere.

They ever bring the Hetzer, the 251 or the Easy 8 Sherman out anymore? I saw them in the museum last time I was at Mabry on business, but haven't kept up with this stuff in many years.

View Quote

What's weird is seeing folks that were back around then and they are all old.  Then I have to think back that I was only 17-18 years old then.  I was in when it was still called the 36th Ceremonial and Demonstration Auxiliary.  I was on my way to boot camp while they were still trying to figure out how to fund and crew the Hetzer.  I even still have a couple of the old Move Out magazines.

The Hetzer does show up for the Mabry show battles.  Quite a few more Shermans as well.  A repro SdKfz222.  Tons of jeeps.  Sometimes an M5 Stuart and M8 armored car as well.

Some of the old 80's crew still show up.  Most of them with 3rd Army and Denny's Patton impression.  Heck I've even seen the Zimmermans a couple times over the past few years.  Although John Sr. is getting up there in age.

But it's not like the old days with battles almost every month.  Camp Swift, Fort Wolters, Eagle Mountain Lake, Fort Polk etc. are all no longer allowed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#36]
See if you can be the guy that dresses in a cowboy hat and duster.

At least that is what I saw at medieval reenactments when I went to watch.

There always needs to be one guy in a duster and cowboy hat.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
See if you can be the guy that dresses in a cowboy hat and duster.

At least that is what I saw at medieval reenactments when I went to watch.

There always needs to be one guy in a duster and cowboy hat.
View Quote
I'm your huckleberry.

Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Me too, I’ve spent the last several years collecting almost everything I need to do US infantry impression, but I’m not sure I’ll ever actually do it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#39]
I believe there are reenactments happening in Ukraine as we speak. Cheap flights.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

But you look so BAD in  those 'Hugo Boss' designs...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#41]
I did it for a few years and it was a lot of fun. The best part was meeting the guys that actually did the thing for real and they showed their families the gear they wore and told stories about the things that they did.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

What's weird is seeing folks that were back around then and they are all old.  Then I have to think back that I was only 17-18 years old then.  I was in when it was still called the 36th Ceremonial and Demonstration Auxiliary.  I was on my way to boot camp while they were still trying to figure out how to fund and crew the Hetzer.  I even still have a couple of the old Move Out magazines.

The Hetzer does show up for the Mabry show battles.  Quite a few more Shermans as well.  A repro SdKfz222.  Tons of jeeps.  Sometimes an M5 Stuart and M8 armored car as well.

Some of the old 80's crew still show up.  Most of them with 3rd Army and Denny's Patton impression.  Heck I've even seen the Zimmermans a couple times over the past few years.  Although John Sr. is getting up there in age.

But it's not like the old days with battles almost every month.  Camp Swift, Fort Wolters, Eagle Mountain Lake, Fort Polk etc. are all no longer allowed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is weird, I was in the old 36th C &D. I did 4th reg 2SS back in the 80s - 90's.  I carried either a Ppsh41 or panzershreck. All of those peoples and places are familiar. Spent a lot of time at Camp Swift. Anyone remember the escaped monkeys that would run through the tree tops at Swift?
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My unit, F/502 ( https://fox502nd.weebly.com/ ), is in the Midwest. I might be a bit biased, but we're one of the premier USGI units around. We just finished 3 private, immersive events within the last year portraying the 3 major battles the 101st fought: Normandy, Operation Market Garden, and the Bulge. Amazing experiences with each event (photos below) and a great group of dedicated guys. We do airborne right, which is a rare thing.

The training events/unit parties are a blast and we have one coming up next month. Our first big public event 2 years is the Fagen Fighters Airshow in June and it's going to be an awesome event. I put a jump kit together just for it.

Personally, I've really jumped in (pun intended) with both feet the last couple of years, putting together resupply drop containers, multiple parachutes, done tons of research, and started doing rigger modified pieces. It's a pricey hobby but I love it.

There was a recent week-long immersive event portraying the drive to Tunis just a week ago down in Texas. Heard it was fantastic. Find a quality unit to join and hang onto your butt!

https://i.imgur.com/yP6SJby.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/iNqssAC.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/F9cdIRO.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/r8ChEdg.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/8Jk0q1j.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/ljx37on.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/h83iKom.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/Q66ppuS.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/EAqcDFJ.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/6Xfv0IX.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/jD6twxf.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/DDznoB4.jpeg
View Quote

From what I’ve seen, your group is the gold standard.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Attachment Attached File

Come to the dark side.....

...we have cookies!
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

From what I’ve seen, your group is the gold standard.
View Quote

Appreciate it! We try hard to get it right.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#46]
At the Front.  That website is a wealth of information and a real hoot.  Guy that runs it is ...... interesting.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
At the Front.  That website is a wealth of information and a real hoot.  Guy that runs it is ...... interesting.
View Quote

He’s definitely salty from the years of answering stitch Nazi questions.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This is weird, I was in the old 36th C &D. I did 4th reg 2SS back in the 80s - 90's.  I carried either a Ppsh41 or panzershreck. All of those peoples and places are familiar. Spent a lot of time at Camp Swift. Anyone remember the escaped monkeys that would run through the tree tops at Swift?
View Quote

Were you at the Fort Polk battle in Jan of 1989?  Cold, wet and rainy.  Some guy came and grabbed us up for a patrol.  We ended up killing a lone SS guy with a PPSH and I swear 3 pounds of cotton shoved into his ears!  That thing was so freaking loud it was surprisingly very hard to find him.

I could not even get my rifle apart at the end of the day the wood had swollen up so badly.  I felt bad for the guys with MG's that came back covered in rust from just one day out.

I also remember a jeep got stuck on the road and them trying to get it out for an hour or so till they broke a drive shaft.  Then they got a second jeep stuck trying to rescue the first.  Then the NG brought out an M113 which also got stuck.

Eagle Mountain lake was my favorite with 36th, L Co and the 4th Gebirgs.  We'd come up with us in the 1st ID and some guys from the 12th SS. Once we spent an hour stalking some noise in the trees only to find out it was an armadillo rooting around in the leaves! LOL.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

He’s definitely salty from the years of answering stitch Nazi questions.
View Quote

Love his emails.  Not an re-enacter but I do buy stuff from him occasionally.  Usually his seconds or sale items.  Makes good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Were you at the Fort Polk battle in Jan of 1989?  Cold, wet and rainy.  Some guy came and grabbed us up for a patrol.  We ended up killing a lone SS guy with a PPSH and I swear 3 pounds of cotton shoved into his ears!  That thing was so freaking loud it was surprisingly very hard to find him.

I could not even get my rifle apart at the end of the day the wood had swollen up so badly.  I felt bad for the guys with MG's that came back covered in rust from just one day out.

I also remember a jeep got stuck on the road and them trying to get it out for an hour or so till they broke a drive shaft.  Then they got a second jeep stuck trying to rescue the first.  Then the NG brought out an M113 which also got stuck.

Eagle Mountain lake was my favorite with 36th, L Co and the 4th Gebirgs.  We'd come up with us in the 1st ID and some guys from the 12th SS. Once we spent an hour stalking some noise in the trees only to find out it was an armadillo rooting around in the leaves! LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was in the 36th C&D 1987-88 while I was stationed in San Antonio. I was a GI in Melvin Schroeder's 36th ID, G Co. unit.  I went to the Ft Polk reenactment in, I think it was January 1988, and it too was cold, wet and muddy. I wound up setting in a half dug, wet, muddy foxhole occasionally shooting at the Germans.  I remember hearing the stuck jeep for what seemed like an eternity.  We might have been at the same reenactment; are you sure it was 89?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top