Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Uh, what?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can to mil-dot but prefer mil-rad ,  looking for clear glass, don't care if the reticles are illuminated.
Uh, what?
yeah ok you got me.....Mrad
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm a big fan of my Vortex HD AMG.
View Quote
Awesome vaporware.

Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm surprised I don't see more March optics.  Their distribution game sucks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
this thread should be in the precision rifle forum
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#5]
At under 1500 yards I prefer Troy sights.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Boom, end of thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Schmidt and Bender is what I’ve always heard.
Boom, end of thread.
This
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:17:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
At under 1500 yards I prefer Troy sights.
View Quote
Agreed.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Leupold Mark 8 w/ Horus or Tremor3 on front focal plane

Then, go take a course with Buck Doyle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Just buy a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27

Your eyes aren’t good enough to tell the difference between the Razor and anything else. The Razor also has better turrets than anything else (S&B included).
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
With that said, and while we're still in GD..

I will say Barska
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Your eyes aren’t good enough to tell the difference between the Razor and anything else. The Razor also has better turrets than anything else (S&B included).
View Quote
Not better than S&B MTC turrets, definitely not better than the Tangent Thêta.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I do nto shot long distance, but I would think there is a category of top end scopes, and the best is debatable.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:01:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate the MTC turrets.
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#14]
My cheap rear is going to stick with my Sightron SIII's. My brother has a Vortex Gen 2 and it is a very nice scope. I would have issues justifying spending that much on a scope. Maybe one day I will buy a high dollar scope.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#15]
The best scope Ive been behind is the Vortex GenII RZR HD. I compared it to a comparable NF and S-B, and to me the Vortex glass was a bit brighter and sharper. YMMV of course, but that was to my eye that day. I bought one 6 months later on a Black Friday sale.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I've had Vortex, S&B, US Optics, NF, Leupold, Premier, and a few others. Best bang for your buck is the Nightforce. Best scope I've owned is the S&B. US Optics are nice but everyone I've known that had one, had quality issues. Was not impressed with the Vortex. Glass was good but didn't like some of the features. Sold it to get another NF ATACR.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The best scope Ive been behind is the Vortex GenII RZR HD. I compared it to a comparable NF and S-B, and to me the Vortex glass was a bit brighter and sharper. YMMV of course, but that was to my eye that day. I bought one 6 months later on a Black Friday sale.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/430646/98cxaNE-407873.jpg
View Quote
I’m a fan.

Attachment Attached File

Good glass is awesome, but turrets and tracking are what matters.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#19]
"Niteforce B.E.A.S.T. or Leupold or other?"

I thought you wanted the best scope? What happened? If true, you want this scope:

Link to Precision Rifle Blog tactical scope field test results
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm now shooting 1000+yds

Have a 6.5 Creedmoor upper on its way.  ( this is my cheapass way of keeping up with shooting partner who has a .338 lapua AI with a Nightforce scope and and an iPhone app that tells him everything; takes in temp, wind, Coriolis effect, so he can dial his scope to hit an 8" gong at 1300yds consistently.

watching the bullet trailor mist thru the spotting scope is pretty awesome..... .338 SMK 250gr.

back to scopes...

Niteforce B.E.A.S.T.   or Leupold or other?
View Quote
He doesn't need all that BS to shoot 1300
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Buy the $27,000 tracking point 338 lapua mile maker /THREAD

nothing can do what it can do
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can to mil-dot but prefer mil-rad ,  looking for clear glass, don't care if the reticles are illuminated.
Uh, what?
Mils are mils???

Are you confusing moa and mils or saying you prefer a reticle with hash marks over one with dots.

No offense, but if you dont know the difference a several thousand dollar scope should probably not be high on your list of priorities.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:04:16 PM EDT
[#24]
For sale is a Tasco World Class 4-12x rifle scope. I have been impressed with the performance of this scope--I had put in on a $1000 Anschutz and it shot very good groups with that scope. I simply got tired of people asking, "Why do you have such a shitty scope on such a quality gun?" To which I would reply, "It actually does quite well, particularly for the money." The final straw was this asshole at the gun range who was giving me shit, calling my scope an "Assco" and my Anschutz an "Ass-shoots". Well hell, he had a Barska, so how could he be talking crap? So I asked him how he liked his BARFska, and then he got all pissed off. So finally I said, "Listen up dickweed, unless you want this Assco shoved up your ass sideways, you' best shut the hell up." Well, he gets all weird and goes "Merrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!" right in my face, so I put a gun in his face and asked, "How do you like looking down the barrel of a gun?" Well, he packed his shit but ended up turning me into the gun club and to make a long story short, I lost my membership to the club, all over a damned low cost scope. So I figured I'd better just buy a Leupold so as to prevent situations like this happening in the future, so that is why I am selling it. But it really is a good scope. Can email pics on request, serious offers only please.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Best? Tangent Theta or Hensoldt.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I’d go Kahles
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

He doesn't need all that BS to shoot 1300
View Quote
Are you serious?  Hitting an 8" target at that distance is a minor miracle if there is the slightest breeze.  Let alone consistently.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Just go with the razor hd. You will be more than happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I shoot to 1K with my RPR 6.5 Creedmoor and I use Vortex - but not the high end Vortex.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/03/03/long-range-scopes-pros-use/

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Capture-407382.JPG
View Quote
That chart is skewed by 2 things:

1) Vortex loves to give shit away to anyone who's even a semi-pro shooter.  I've had over $10k worth of Vortex optics given to me and I don't even shoot competitively.

2) Vortex honors their warranty without much hassle so when you're shooting constantly and beating up your rifle in competitions, the warranty is a big factor.

Now, that's not to say the Gen2 Razor is a bad scope.  I'd put the NightForce ATACR ahead of it, though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:23:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Boom, end of thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Schmidt and Bender is what I've always heard.
Boom, end of thread.
Yep. My father won't have anything else. He's not a rich man, but he's definitely one to buy once, and cry once when it comes to glass. He puts a nice Leupold on a .22 as a cheap scope.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#32]
What you really need is a Winchester Model 70 in .30-06 with an 8-power Unertl scope
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:31:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:41:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My cheap rear is going to stick with my Sightron SIII's. My brother has a Vortex Gen 2 and it is a very nice scope. I would have issues justifying spending that much on a scope. Maybe one day I will buy a high dollar scope.
View Quote
This. I've shot to 1,500 and my old Sigutron SII, and it has done amazing. The exact-trac system they use is incredibly accurate. Probably the best kept secret in optics. If I go to spend more than a SIII, it would be for the SV.

OP, the Ruger Precision Rifles are shooting sub MOA all day (yes) with factory ammo. It's the cheapest and easiest was to get to 1k+.

Factory RPR in 6.5 CM with LT-104 and a Sightron SIII will have you sub MOA at 1k. I love my setup.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I shoot to 1K with my RPR 6.5 Creedmoor and I use Vortex - but not the high end Vortex.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/03/03/long-range-scopes-pros-use/

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Capture-407382.JPG
View Quote
If the question is the most popular then vortex wins. But is it the best? Far from would be my guess.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well it doesn't look like you know what you are talking about so you need more research.

There is no best scope in the world btw.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:05:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That chart is skewed by 2 things:

1) Vortex loves to give shit away to anyone who's even a semi-pro shooter.  I've had over $10k worth of Vortex optics given to me and I don't even shoot competitively.

2) Vortex honors their warranty without much hassle so when you're shooting constantly and beating up your rifle in competitions, the warranty is a big factor.

Now, that's not to say the Gen2 Razor is a bad scope.  I'd put the NightForce ATACR ahead of it, though.
View Quote
I know vortex has a lot of "pro deals" out there for just about anyone, but have no idea what they actually gave away as far as that goes.  Kahles was extremely popular this year, and they have a very small amount of shooters that they support.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
The Gen II has great glass, but it’s pretty easy to tell the difference, especially in low light conditions. The Gen II will anything you need it to though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Buy the $27,000 tracking point 338 lapua mile maker /THREAD

nothing can do what it can do
View Quote
I really hope you’re joking.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#41]
lol at this thread.

OP, there is no “best” scope.  You need to decide on a number of different things (features, reticle, illumination, adjustments, price range, etc.) and find something that fits your needs.

Anyone who comes in here unequivocally spouting off expensive names without knowing a whole lot about what you want is just regurgitating bullshit they’ve read online.

The truth is, when you get up into the price ranges we’re talking, everything is so good that it really does come down to personal preference.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm now shooting 1000+yds

Have a 6.5 Creedmoor upper on its way.  ( this is my cheapass way of keeping up with shooting partner who has a .338 lapua AI with a Nightforce scope and and an iPhone app that tells him everything; takes in temp, wind, Coriolis effect, so he can dial his scope to hit an 8" gong at 1300yds consistently.

watching the bullet trailor mist thru the spotting scope is pretty awesome..... .338 SMK 250gr.

back to scopes...

Niteforce B.E.A.S.T.   or Leupold or other?
View Quote
Schmidt Bender 5-25

Since you probably can't afford that get a Nightforce 5-22 or 4-16

If you can't do that there are Nightforce SHV scopes which are pretty good for around a grand
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The best scope is like the best band, it's subjective.

Oh, and the precision rifle forum is your friend.  This is GD, so I'm lucky if I'm in before Tasco....
View Quote
So who is the KISS of scopes? Because the OP wants the KISS of scopes.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#44]
That's easy.

The one Billy Zane used in 'Sniper'.  You can hit a guy from a moving helicopter with a sniper rifle and it had some cool dots that danced around on the bottom of the reticle

Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Are you serious?  Hitting an 8" target at that distance is a minor miracle if there is the slightest breeze.  Let alone consistently.
View Quote
Um no. Not it’s not. Not even remotely difficult if you know what you’re doing. Across a canyon at 1278 I’ve had a brand new to LR shooter hitting a 10” gong 7 for 10 with a full value sustained 17-18mph wind that was gusting 25+.

@BCV can attest to some of the shooting we’ve done, and it’s well past 1300.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I have used the Nightforce NXS 5-22x56 to shoot 2500 yards and beyond. Now I have the Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Um no. Not it’s not. Not even remotely difficult if you know what you’re doing. Across a canyon at 1278 I’ve had a brand new to LR shooter hitting a 10” gong 7 for 10 with a full value sustained 17-18mph wind that was gusting 25+.

@BCV can attest to some of the shooting we’ve done, and it’s well past 1300.
View Quote
Up to 2200.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#48]
http://www.countersniperoptics.com/

If you want the BEST than there is no other.

The name alone tells you all you need to know.

Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:01:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Hubble
View Quote
With Mil-Dot reticle...
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 2:03:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
No..this is GD, everything gets filtered through here.   No one uses the vast array of sub-forums.  I don’t even know why other forums exist?
Page / 3
Top Top