well. shit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:30:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:32:54 AM EDT
[#3]
That would suck bigly
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was all over when he dropped the pieces.... Nope.

Looked like he was thinking quickly to keep the rope moving so it didn't burn through in one spot.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
He was cutting it down.

Usually you strip all that loose dead fronds and trash on the way up.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:37:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I hate when that happens.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:39:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#8]
He couldn’t just break away and jump to safety?
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would suck bigly
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:42:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Too bad there was a pool or giant inflatable animal he could have jumped on
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:44:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Woops, too bad he didn't have some gloves on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:45:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
He couldn't just break away and jump to safety?
View Quote
most likely higher than 30' up
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He couldn’t just break away and jump to safety?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:48:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

most likely higher than 30' up
View Quote
Yeah, I was just being edgy. But, broken bones or burns? Decisions.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Dull chain and low bar oil?
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:53:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Fun fact! Looks like that dried palm tree stuff makes a hell (maybe the best ever) of a fire starter! Never heard that from Nutnfancy did you GD!
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
….and that is what that melon would look like after a 30 foot drop.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, I was just being edgy. But, broken bones or burns? Decisions.
View Quote
His boots could have taken a hurried decent on that tree..

It's crazy he was up there in the first place.I've pushed over a palm tree that was dry like that,lucky that tree didn't just fall over while he was up there
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think the muffler is what started the fire.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 8:02:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Thats ohh fuck ohh fuck ohh fuck time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#24]
He would've been better off wrapping some detcord around the middle.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:31:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Fire Races Toward Arborist at Top of Palm Tree || ViralHog
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn, that's a hell of a situation.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Why bother with those small green leaves at the top
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That would suck bigly
View Quote
Ass may have spit out a diamond.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#30]
oh fuck no!
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Lots of palm trees in NY?
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow.
Never thought of one catching on fire while being trimmed.

We have about 10 that size on our property, I do not fuck with them.
Reason #400 why I just write the check to get them trimmed rather then trying to do it myself.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#33]
spark arrestor  removed …  first thing to remove when they get hard to crank
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I've heard palm oil is good at both causing burns and healing them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Lots of palm trees in NY?
View Quote
were practicing for when we all retire and move to the sunshine state.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wow.
Never thought of one catching on fire while being trimmed.

We have about 10 that size on our property, I do not fuck with them.
Reason #400 why I just write the check to get them trimmed rather then trying to do it myself.
View Quote
Never thought of fire being an issue either.  I was expecting a rat jumping on the guy from the tree, since I've seen lots of rats in palm trees out in CA.  That or a snake striking the guy, since I've seen rattlers up in date palms hunting the rats that live in the tops.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Monkey hair gets wrapped around the chain clutch/cover, builds up friction, and poof.  That shit is the best natural fire starter in the world
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
 Well being as you're from Wisconsin, you can be given a waiver on palm tree characteristics.  Palm trees aren't really made of what we normally think of as wood.  Lots of fibers, fibery tubes and cellular fillers (think natural styrofoam)   Which can really jam up a chain saw.  The fronds are kind of like huge feathers. On some trees , the fronds eventually dies and can fall off. Some leave a relatively clean surface, and some don't, and some wait for an unsuspecting person to walk underneath and drop a 20 pound surprise on their heads.  So many need to be trimmed (or in this case getting topped for removal).  Before chain saws and cherry pickers guys would climb up and cut them off by hand.  If really unlucky a bunch of fronds, filled with rat's nest, bird shit and general dirt might slide down on them trap them and suffocate them.  Probably happens stil once or twice a year in SoCal still.  It has got to be one of the filthiest foulest jobs an undocumented alien can find.  Legal workers get paid pretty well, but not enough for most people to do it.

There's kind of a sweet spot near the base of a frond that has enough body to cut.  It's a nasty task.  Cutting the trunks can be done but it's not easy.

Things we do in the sub-tropics to wow the tourists, growing palm trees is one of them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#39]
oh yeah, they can really burn in a wild fire, loosing big embers to fly down wind.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I have cut palms like that, they are not "wood", they are dense packed fibers that are a fucking mess to cut and clog up chainsaws.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:53:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
 Well being as you're from Wisconsin, you can be given a waiver on palm tree characteristics.  Palm trees aren't really made of what we normally think of as wood.  Lots of fibers, fibery tubes and cellular fillers (think natural styrofoam)   Which can really jam up a chain saw.  The fronds are kind of like huge feathers. On some trees , the fronds eventually dies and can fall off. Some leave a relatively clean surface, and some don't, and some wait for an unsuspecting person to walk underneath and drop a 20 pound surprise on their heads.  So many need to be trimmed (or in this case getting topped for removal).  Before chain saws and cherry pickers guys would climb up and cut them off by hand.  If really unlucky a bunch of fronds, filled with rat's nest, bird shit and general dirt might slide down on them trap them and suffocate them.  Probably happens stil once or twice a year in SoCal still.  It has got to be one of the filthiest foulest jobs an undocumented alien can find.  Legal workers get paid pretty well, but not enough for most people to do it.

There's kind of a sweet spot near the base of a frond that has enough body to cut.  It's a nasty task.  Cutting the trunks can be done but it's not easy.

Things we do in the sub-tropics to wow the tourists, growing palm trees is one of them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Palm trees really aren't trees.
They are more closely related to grasses then trees.

And yeah, they are a bitch to trim and difficult to cut down.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Firs thing that came to mind LOL
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have cut palms like that, they are not "wood", they are dense packed fibers that are a fucking mess to cut and clog up chainsaws.[  
View Quote
Same situation with Joshua trees, plus they will be full on sand trapped between the fibers from being exposed to desert winds full of sand.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 9:21:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Damn
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 9:38:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
oh yeah, they can really burn in a wild fire, loosing big embers to fly down wind.
View Quote
This has got to be the first time in the history of GD that someone used “loosing” correctly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top