Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Wouldn't it be easier to just create a user rating, like an ee rating?  When a user starts threads or replies, every other user can vote +1, neutral, or -1.  If a user does not have a positive user rating, any new thread they start would automatically appear on page 2 or later, never on page 1.  And, any post they make would need to be approved by a mod before it would show in a thread.

If you want behavior modification, that would do it.  If you just ignore them personally, it would do nothing to change the behavior/s you don't like.

The site could also monetize the feature and let people buy positive credits to get back to neutral so they could participate...

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think we could pull it off again
View Quote

The internet was a different world back then.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
He wants to consolidate the thread list to just the ones he wants to see, not delete them.
View Quote

There are benfits here..think of the application in the BOTD after clicking a thread that makes you vomit.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know, seems fairly easy to not click on a thread that I'm not interested in/could get butt hurt by. If I haven't found anything interesting by the time I scroll to the bottom of page one I can always just click on the button (whatever it's called) to go to page two.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't know, seems fairly easy to not click on a thread that I'm not interested in/could get butt hurt by. If I haven't found anything interesting by the time I scroll to the bottom of page one I can always just click on the button (whatever it's called) to go to page two.

View Quote

As stated prevously, it bring other threads into view where that may not be necessary.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
doubletap
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like censorship to me. I get your sentiment, but that's real slippery slope.

eta: Sounds like I misunderstood. If you mean just for members as an ignore feature, then hell yeah.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Basically like the Hide feature in Teams.

You would need another tab on the top menu bar for "Hidden Topics" so you can unhide a thread later if you want to see it
in your default view again. It might be a useful feature, and of course people are free to not use it if they don't see a need to.

With that said, one does not simply make demands of GoatBoy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Basically like the Hide feature in Teams.

https://i.postimg.cc/zDsSFpz1/Screenshot-2024-03-12-142627.jpg

You would need another tab on the top menu bar for "Hidden Topics" so you can unhide a thread later if you want to see it
in your default view again. It might be a useful feature, and of course people are free to not use it if they don't see a need to.

With that said, one does not simply make demands of GoatBoy.
View Quote

I would think in order for this demand to be met, it would be simple and wouldn't require much. A check box and a button.

You people are making this way more complicated than it needs to be. Hastags, funtions, filters, monetization, etc..
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#11]
No, we need an AI "fact check your draft" tool first, along with an automatic "rewrite to the assumed grade level of the reader on the fly" option.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Another rocket scientist here.

If I alone select a thread that I find to be repugnant in nature, boring, et al..and freely choose to remove it from MY view, how is that censorship if the rest of the site can see it?

View Quote

Was just thinking about this today.  It's a great idea. Do I need to see some dumbass thread for the 86th billionth time that's been active for 11 years that I'll never open ?. Be nice to just make it go away.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Was just thinking about this today.  It's a great idea. Do I need to see some dumbass thread for the 86th billionth time that's been active for 11 years that I'll never open ?. Be nice to just make it go away.
View Quote

It is a good idea, thank you.

Goatboy on vacation? I dont see it available for use yet
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I’d be down for that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Simply remove the delicate people .
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I’d be down for that.
View Quote

Hell yeah you would!

Thank you for joining the movement!

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I do not think you understand what my demand is.

Has nothing to do with Subscriptions. Has everything to with scrolling, checking and then clearing topics from GD as they are not to be seen again..Like an ignore feature.

View Quote
Not clicking on threads I have no interest in seems to work just fine for me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Simply remove the delicate people .
View Quote

There are good, strong people, patriots, God fearing men who start threads that I have no desire to participate in.

The NFL 2024 thread just started.. wasted 1st page space for a year or more

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not clicking on threads I have no interest in seems to work just fine for me.
View Quote

You're missing the over all value this demand, when met, will bring to the site. If you want to continue as you always have, that's fine.

If you know you never want to participate, why continue to allow it to take up space?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wouldn't it be easier to just create a user rating, like an ee rating?  When a user starts threads or replies, every other user can vote +1, neutral, or -1.  If a user does not have a positive user rating, any new thread they start would automatically appear on page 2 or later, never on page 1.  And, any post they make would need to be approved by a mod before it would show in a thread.

If you want behavior modification, that would do it.  If you just ignore them personally, it would do nothing to change the behavior/s you don't like.

The site could also monetize the feature and let people buy positive credits to get back to neutral so they could participate...

View Quote

Not at all. That would just push popular threads, some of which will be absolute trash, to the top.

The idea is to be able to curate your own view of the forum. Not change people's behaviours or other people's view of the forum. Maybe you love lonely guy sharing his day to day life threads or inane post count threads or boomer can't work a computer threads - you get to keep them. Other people can vanish them.

I might re-up for this.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I totally agree with the OP

I’ve had the same thought in the past.

There are some threads that I would prefer to not even see the subject again

It would save scrolling past the same dumb assed trolling posts over and over

It would have no effect on anyone else.
View Quote

I'm with this guy and pasta boy.

I don't want to see the same fucking threads about making someone's burger or Huskers or 365, Trump, SpaceX, nfl, etc...

Waste of My Resources to see the same thing on the first page of GD.

Let me gray they out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:38:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I wouldn’t hate that.

Even better would be the ability to ignore threads by rating. i.e. Troll and add a bunch more ratings.

Covid is first on my list
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I totally agree with the OP

I’ve had the same thought in the past.

There are some threads that I would prefer to not even see the subject again

It would save scrolling past the same dumb assed trolling posts over and over

It would have no effect on anyone else.
View Quote

For me its always a thread about a child or woman being brutally murdered etc. I only need to see the title one or twice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:I'm not opposed to this but I'm not clamoring for it either.
As I have pointed out many times, we need a 'current thing' forum.
When people start spamming the board with covidukrainehaiti threads, staff can just redirect them to the 'current thing' forum until volume drops off and it's no longer the current thing.
These things always come in cycles. A 'current thing' forum would be a great pressure-relief-valve.
View Quote
The "current thing" is usually a great topic that is worth discussing.
Creating a quarantine zone that one time had an immediate positive effect on GD, but was that because of the topic or that it moved a particular group of posters out of GD proper for a bit?
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You spend too much time in the center wing tank taking naps? This demand is the exact opposite of that, sir.

YOU will have control, not others.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because members of ARFCOM (apparently) can't be trusted to determine what to read and believe on the ARFCOM forums- we must allow our betters to do it for us.

Or something along those lines...

You spend too much time in the center wing tank taking naps? This demand is the exact opposite of that, sir.

YOU will have control, not others.

Most people here can’t even comprehend what you’re asking.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Thank AR15thur who posted this in the suggestions forum to get my attention.

This feature already on the list. Can make it a higher priority item, but still no ETA. Yes, it's relatively easy to do, but hooks into a number of systems, so would take time.

For anyone worries, it's just like ignoring users, but this would be ignoring topics you have no interest in. It's just a filter per user.
View Quote

Thank you AR15thur!!

Can't wait.

Thank you!

(no filter, just a check and remove from view, right?)

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:56:45 PM EDT
[#30]
It's really not a bad idea at all. Remove topics you have zero interest in seeing. Less clutter that you have to sift through later of what you are following.
There have been times that wished there was an ignore topic like ignore user function. Maybe let it still be a minimized line and grayed out so you have the option of restoring it. Or if another user @(you) your username in the topic.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
First, they should allow us to change names.
View Quote

As a paying member, you can do it one time.
@Gspointer
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thank AR15thur who posted this in the suggestions forum to get my attention.

This feature already on the list. Can make it a higher priority item, but still no ETA. Yes, it's relatively easy to do, but hooks into a number of systems, so would take time.

For anyone worries, it's just like ignoring users, but this would be ignoring topics you have no interest in. It's just a filter per user.
View Quote

It would be worth the $24 if it was a real ignore and not a "click to view" veil.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:43:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you like this idea, you'll LOVE Reddit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yes, but this is literally a filter for you to ignore threads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
(no filter, just a check and remove from view, right?)

Yes, but this is literally a filter for you to ignore threads.

This forum needs a like button...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top