Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2002 3:19:53 PM EDT
Which do you think would be more effective as a defensive round: 9mm Luger JHP's or .45 ACP FMJ's?

In soft tissue, the 9mm hollow points should expand to inflict more damage, but would it be more effective than the larger size and mass of the .45 ball ammo?

(there isn't really a point to this question other than it to be a mental exercise. I know some of you will say "just use .45 JHP's" but that isn't what I'm asking......)

[pistol]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Not enough info for a good answer. Is this for in home use? CCW? Any particular reason for limiting it to those 2 calibers?

That being said, I currently use fragmenting 9mm as an all-around defense round, but I want to move up to a .40 if and when CO gets CCW. In home, I recommend a 12g shotgun with 00.

Unless you are trying to drop 300lb psychopaths on crack, even a .22 will probably work. I mean, most casual trouble makers and muggers don't want to get shot with ANYTHING.

-legrue
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not enough info for a good answer. Is this for in home use? CCW? Any particular reason for limiting it to those 2 calibers?

That being said, I currently use fragmenting 9mm as an all-around defense round, but I want to move up to a .40 if and when CO gets CCW. In home, I recommend a 12g shotgun with 00.

Unless you are trying to drop 300lb psychopaths on crack, even a .22 will probably work. I mean, most casual trouble makers and muggers don't want to get shot with ANYTHING.

-legrue
View Quote

Like I said , it isn't for a specific application like CCW. It's simply a mental exercise on what would be more effective in soft tissue (i.e: people). Is a 9mm hollowpoint more or less deadly than a .45 slug. Period. I'm not gonna carry either one of them ( I actually carry a Glock 27 with .40SW JHP's. ) I just am curious what you guys have to say about the 2 different calibers and their effectiveness.

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
A matter of preference. 9MM junkies are gonna say "9MM", big-bore nuts are gonna say ".45"...

Scott

P.S. Any particular reason you are comparing JHP apples to FMJ oranges?

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Givena choice, I prefer 200 or 230-grain Federal Hydra-Shok JHP.  So far, they have answered any question I asked of them...

Second choice (if I can't find the HS) would be Silvertips.

FFZ
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#6]
9mm may expand, but .45 will never shrink...
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I know this isn't an answer to your question , but WHY in the hell would you compare a JHP to a FMJ round ??????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top